rated by 0 users
Mon, Jan 4 2021 8:36 AM (24 replies)
  • Tony08888
    572 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2020 5:25 AM

I think this is the motherboard info:

MAINBOARD Processor Socket LGA1155 Socket Chipset Type Intel Q77 Express

Here is the link to the details:

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-OptiPlex-7010-Desktop-Professional/dp/B01LZNDHD6

edit: had the wrong link up. This should be it

• garyk49
    2,327 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2020 6:16 AM

Tony08888:

I think this is the motherboard info:

MAINBOARD Processor Socket LGA1155 Socket Chipset Type Intel Q77 Express

Here is the link to the details:

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-OptiPlex-7010-Desktop-Professional/dp/B01LZNDHD6

edit: had the wrong link up. This should be it

Will let Yiannis comment on this.  I have a dead 1155 board here with a I7 cpu in it.

• Mythanatos
    2,216 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2020 8:06 AM

if buying a HP then wipe everything and reinstall windows. HP has always been the worst about loading a system down with proprietary bloatware. 

• Yiannis1970
    3,284 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2020 8:40 AM

Ok, first things first. Between a desktop and a laptop (even with slightly better performance), i would have gone with the desktop 100%. Especially when the laptop has a HP upon it (i don't like this brand at all!!!).

Let's go to the main issue:

Here's my 12 year old cpu:

Intel® Core™ i7-975 Processor Extreme Edition (8M Cache, 3.33 GHz, 6.40 GT/s Intel® QPI) Product Specifications

and here is the cpu that Dell has:

Intel® Core™ i5-3470 Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.60 GHz) Product Specifications

Apart the fact that is 3 years newer....mine is at 45 nm and this one at 22 nm. The performance should be, if not the same, quite identical. If it was me, i would have gone with the desktop (i trust Dell as a company) cause there's a certain issue underrated with games: Temperatures.

No laptop can compared with a desktop in air flow management and in overall temperatures. So, if you just add another ~100-120 dollars for a very decent card (Nvidia or AMD), your machine should be pretty fine and without any problems whatsoever for this game. I repeat....for this game!!!  

Gary, as you know, many components (talking about their durability) of the PC is somehow left to luck, or better to non luck. I presume you were one of the unlucky ones cause if the the mobo dies, the whole machine is gone.

The only thing that bugs me on amazon's description is the lack of the mobo type and brand. Other than that, i repeat, i use an older cpu with an 570 AMD GPU and i can play, stream, recording just fine with no problems whatsoever.

And one last thing....we are talking about a refurbished machine not new. That involves some risk either way for the buyer.

• garyk49
    2,327 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2020 9:13 AM

Yiannis1970:

No laptop can compared with a desktop in air flow management and in overall temperatures. So, if you just add another ~100-120 dollars for a very decent card (Nvidia or AMD), your machine should be pretty fine and without any problems whatsoever for this game. I repeat....for this game!!!  

Gary, as you know, many components (talking about their durability) of the PC is somehow left to luck, or better to non luck. I presume you were one of the unlucky ones cause if the the mobo dies, the whole machine is gone.

The only thing that bugs me on amazon's description is the lack of the mobo type and brand. Other than that, i repeat, i use an older cpu with an 570 AMD GPU and i can play, stream, recording just fine with no problems whatsoever.

And one last thing....we are talking about a refurbished machine not new. That involves some risk either way for the buyer.

My 1155 ran for a number of years, but now look at the price to buy any MB that supports the 1155, that's my concern.(as it was back then when it died, and the MB was an ASUS P8z68-vlx, try to find one new) You mention a new gpu.  More then likely gonna need to update the power supply also(IIRC I thought I saw that it came with a 240W, that won't run most gpu's without some problems, it's slimline case with MATX MB.

But yes, desktop over laptop any day.  Either way with what has been mentioned, lose the MB and reinstalling windows is gonna be problems(neither has a retail copy of windows)

• Yiannis1970
    3,284 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2020 10:08 AM

I know EXACTLY what u mean Gary. Even if you find a mobo at good condition with 1155, you simply can't buy it. Why? Cause the ''worms'' who have made this thing a job, they are going to sell it to you x10 times. So, does not worth it....you know what they do, don't you? As soon as a new product goes in the market, they buy a stock 10-20-30 pieces....and after 5-7 years they are selling these components 10 times more expensive...worms!!!

250 W??? Ooooops, where did you see that Gary? Can't find it. 250???? No way....you can't do anything with 250.

• garyk49
    2,327 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2020 10:30 AM

https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/dell_optiplex_7010_spec_sheet.pdf

Page 2 chassis, highest is a 275.  IIRC this SSF which is 240

• Yiannis1970
    3,284 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2020 10:32 AM

Found it Gary!! 250...

deal breaker for me. C' mon now that's a joke!! I was using a 450 25 years back to be on the safe side and they put 250 W??

• garyk49
    2,327 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2020 10:36 AM

I thought I remembered reading that cpu draws 77 watts all by itself

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/68316/intel-core-i5-3470-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-60-ghz.html

• Yiannis1970
    3,284 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2020 10:52 AM

Trying to find any thermal tests under 100% load for this cpu....nothing. Intel says tdp 77W....hmmmmmmmmm.

Yes, Gary, but i don't believe them so much. Still we have to find what this cpu does under 100% stress test.

RSS