Forums

Help › Forums

DISCOURAGED!!!!

Wed, Nov 23 2011 9:10 PM (45 replies)
  • KLJantz
    5 Posts
    Mon, Oct 10 2011 10:50 AM

Greetings All

Found WGT strictly by accident, and enjoyed the initial play, but as I started to progress and purchased more expensive equipment, it seems as if I am going backwards as far as shot proficiency and overall enjoyment of the game. I can't get the same club reaction on similar shots regardless of lie, wind, you name it. Driving the ball is the only shot that has a consistent outcome.  Wedge shots from the fringe are a complete joke, and I have tried everything. Glad these aren't real clubs, as I would be fishing most of them out of the drink. I am a very competitive guy and would love to continue playing, but I don't need the frustration of setting up for what should be a perfect shot, considering all the external factors,'Dinging' the shot perfectly, only to experience a piss-poor outcome. I would like to know how some of you shoot the scores you do, and believe me, I have played enough rounds by now to know that it is not all practice makes perfect.

Any suggestions before I wave goodbye??

• Pryke
    295 Posts
    Mon, Oct 10 2011 2:13 PM

Join a Country Club or add some friends to play against regularily. Helps if they're a higher tier. Most people are happy to help with tips and you'll see yourself improve against them.

Cheers

P

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Mon, Oct 10 2011 4:11 PM

KL, I am probably one of the worst Masters on this game. I just grind and grind. Have my days where I can't hit a barn broadside. Then I have a day where I shoot every round 2-3 under par. This game has it's deviations and quirks and the wtf shots. Just keep playing and enjoy it for what it is. If you get too serious, it is not fun. You can't control every shot, it's part of the make up of the game. One thing is for sure, there is a lot of great people on here, and they make my night sometimes. I go to bed laughing after just losing an AS 5 down after 5 holes. Have done this 3 times in 3 nights. Of course it was my partners fault, I was dead on. I see you had a 38 on KIa front 9, I shot a 39 on the back the other night and that side is easier.

• Mesmorizer
    614 Posts
    Mon, Oct 10 2011 4:50 PM

renniw52 is a great inspiration and speaker for the game. I have read many post in the forums and alot of the regulars give great advice. If the game is gettin to serious take a break, otherwise Ren hit it on the nail, my average relects my play. After the time I have been playing I can usally count on a par or sub par round. But there are days you cant do anything others you hit everything. Just the way it is have fun, do your best and the game will get better even with the quirks. 

• KLJantz
    5 Posts
    Mon, Oct 10 2011 5:03 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the encouragement. It just sucks to be setting on the fringe, duff the shot with a PW after setting up properly, then blow the ball completely over the flag using the same exact shot and strength. Makes no sense. But hey, I grew up next to a course as a kid, play a pretty fair round and can imagine just how tough trying to assimilate some of these shots into a computer game with any amount of realism, probably is.

That said, the clubs in my bag better get used to a bath.

Maybe one of them fancy PW's is the answer....

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Mon, Oct 10 2011 5:31 PM

For one thing, you're not using good equipment. Some people get by with WGT clubs, but they stink -- especially the starter balls. I hardly ever ding it, but I usually shoot under par so you must be doing something wrong in your set up... Why are you chipping from the "fringe?" Are you sure you're not in deep rough? Sorry, but you haven't tried everything, because there's always something that works pretty well -- just have to figure it out. It's not so much practice as it is trial and error.

There's no doubt that it's a challenging and frustrating game, but if it was easy it'd be boring. Kind of like golf...

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Oct 11 2011 5:34 AM

If you play golf IRL you'll soon learn, if you haven't already, that this game is full of the exact same frustrations on a real course. I know why you duffed that shot-you tried to take to small of a swing (Cardinal Rule-nothing less than 70% swings with those kinds of shots.) Little (?) things like that are what you need to learn and Chip and Pitch Tips is a worthwhile read to get you in shape.  Stay with it, you won't be sorry.  GL

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Tue, Oct 11 2011 6:04 AM

I'm with you KL, just about ready to hang it up, there just is no figuring out  the breaks in putting it is all a guessing game and it looks like I can't guess to good on a regular basses.

I have tried every way  I can think of , one time it works the next hole not, starting to take the game too serious.

I see other guys putting great without taking a whole lot of time to figure out the break , so I know there's  a way to do it , these guys are not guessing and get lucky all the time.

I'm just telling my side you may be one of those guys that can read the breaks then it is a great game, you then have the confidence to go out and challenge others and put your skill to the test. 

To me driving ,and the approach shot not all that bad, putting a hole new ball game.

Just telling my side of the coin  

• frappefort
    3,994 Posts
    Tue, Oct 11 2011 6:12 AM

renniw52:

KL, I am probably one of the worst Masters on this game. I just grind and grind. Have my days where I can't hit a barn broadside. Then I have a day where I shoot every round 2-3 under par. This game has it's deviations and quirks and the wtf shots. Just keep playing and enjoy it for what it is. If you get too serious, it is not fun. You can't control every shot, it's part of the make up of the game. One thing is for sure, there is a lot of great people on here, and they make my night sometimes. I go to bed laughing after just losing an AS 5 down after 5 holes. Have done this 3 times in 3 nights. Of course it was my partners fault, I was dead on. I see you had a 38 on KIa front 9, I shot a 39 on the back the other night and that side is easier.

what the man says ....

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Tue, Oct 11 2011 10:29 PM

I play with a glass of Bourbon and Ice next to me.. 

That usually helps.

Looking at your equipment....

You have a bunch of diffferent meter speeds across your clubs.

Try to get consistent meter speeds, Your wedges will always be faster.
    Consistent meters, consistent dings better 'mastering' of the swing meter as a whole. 

1. get onto the 'GI3' Balls (or better)  this will help..They really are the first set of balls offered that have a 'FEEL' rating..  = slowing down the meter.

I prefer the spin only balls over the Spin & Distance or the distance only.
    Only because the extra distance these balls give, isn't reflected in the caddy. Already enough math going on in my head for each stroke to add more. :)

2. Get the other two wedges for your set - (or the next level Z's) remove the 3H (its rarely used) You will see most players carrying 3 wedges with no 3H

3. After the other two options above are done.... grab the best driver your level will allow.

If credits are tight.. do the Surveys.

There is good info in the forums on how to get through the Surveys.

I do them every day..

4. New Irons.

Many people at your Tier and Tour Pro favour the Ping 'Rapture' Drivers and Irons. Slow meter, forgiving and decent distances.

The best Z's Wedges your can reach until you can reach the Clevelands.

RSS