Forums

Help › Forums

2010 WMPL Champion: werksux!!

Fri, Jul 9 2010 12:41 PM (326 replies)
  • nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Tue, Dec 1 2009 1:15 PM

Sorry guys, that's just the way it is.  I'm not sure where the assumption is coming from that I'm under some obligation to include everyone in my own private tournament that I'm free to run as I see fit.  There's plenty enough "everybody included" tournaments already.

This is how this league was designed from the start.  The best of the best.  The format does not cater to Pros and Masters intermingling (primarily due to tier restrictions on equipment) and I certainly do not have the inclination to double my already long list of work to run a separate pro league.  And no, you can't run it for me.  I fly solo.

But thank you for waiting for all the details before jumping to conclusions and using extremely loaded words like "segregation" which carries quite a distinct negative connotation here in America.  But, I'm sure that's exactly why it was used.

If you'd like to join this league then work on getting to the Master Tier.  You still have a month before qualifying even begins.

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Tue, Dec 1 2009 1:51 PM

I'm bringing my own dog and pony show Niv, Since you won't share yours, sign me up!!  Wahooooooooo!! Gonna be fun,

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Dec 1 2009 1:52 PM

I'm in

YJ

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Tue, Dec 1 2009 1:57 PM

Except that many of those Masters are only "Masters", due to having recorded only their good rounds & quit the bad ones. If I had played only the August All Ladies tournament and nothing else back then, I'd have been a Master too by now. I was already down to 67.xx while not playing All Ladies exclusively & recording bad rounds from elsewhere, too.

We're not criticizing you by any means, Nivlac (at least I'm not!), we're only voicing our immense disappointment. You indeed knocked our pants off (or whatever the phrase was) even before the tournament began.  

PS: I'm European and am certainly not using the word segregation with any American connotations it might have. I've never been overseas yet. Actually, I got the word from Cobra4 who used it several times in these forums to describe the uncomfortable barriers that exist among WGT.com users due to the tiers divisions and the questionable means available to upgrade one's tier. The word segregation is of ancient Latin origin, and etymologically means "keeping the flocks apart". The positive English adjective gregarious (= sociable) is from the same Latin root as the word segregation.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Tue, Dec 1 2009 2:08 PM

Then perhaps we can chalk that up to differences in regional dialect..  Segregation is not just an everyday word here because of it's meaning in relation to our history.  Any mention of that word nowadays conjures up images of separated drinking fountains, bathrooms and slave trade.  Not exactly an era that I wish to be associated with, hence the offense to the use of that word in particular.  Had you said "excluded" or something synonymous, I wouldn't have thought twice about it.

But enough about that, plenty of work to do.

• slor
    902 Posts
    Tue, Dec 1 2009 2:10 PM

Faterson:

Except that many of those Masters are only "Masters", due to having recorded only their good rounds & quit the bad ones. If I had played only the August All Ladies tournament and nothing else back then, I'd have been a Master too by now. I was already down to 67.xx while not playing All Ladies exclusively & recording bad rounds from elsewhere, too.

We're not criticizing you by any means, Nivlac (at least I'm not!), we're only voicing our immense disappointment. You indeed knocked our pants off (or whatever the phrase was) even before the tournament began.  

I think it is fair to restrict by tier. I hear your disappointment, but it is up to the organiser to decide how he wishes to run things.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Tue, Dec 1 2009 2:16 PM

Oh and guys, signups haven't opened yet, so all you folks saying "I'm in" will need to sign up when it actually opens on December 10th. =)

• jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Tue, Dec 1 2009 2:23 PM

Let's not toss around "segregation" in tournaments. Seems like recently there have been a few Masters only/ Pros-only/ German masters, Australian Open, etc.  Were these tournaments not limited to a group of players? .. I'm pretty sure they were... and nobody ever said anything about those. And that's not to mention the several tournament that have been open to X# of masters & X# of Pros .... what about that X+1 that couldn't play.... again, no complaints. Community tournaments are set up by community members, each with his/her own idea or set of rules.

Niv had a great idea for a tournament League... and he's already put in a fair amount of time in planning & preparation. So what if it's limited to Masters?  There are a TON of community tournaments that are open to anyone.

What I can say is this .... at least if this is limited to masters, we won't be seeing all the gripes about who is/isn't sandbagging or who has the advantage of clubs/tees/ balls.

Just a deposit on my $.02 ... Jeff

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Tue, Dec 1 2009 2:49 PM

If anyone is feeling helpful you may run through the presentations that are up on the front page and try to come up with questions that may get asked by the players.

Thanks in advance.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Tue, Dec 1 2009 2:56 PM

Glad to read it will be done with an 18 hole format. :)

Nice rules presentation so far btw.

RSS