Forums

Help › Forums

2010 WMPL Champion: werksux!!

Fri, Jul 9 2010 12:41 PM (326 replies)
  • jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Mon, Dec 14 2009 7:59 AM

Faterson:
    What about non-Master players? Excluding them from this tourney sends the message, "Yes, it pays to be a cheater." (We know that legions of "Masters" on this site only advanced to that tier thanks to recording only their good scores.)

A couple or three comments are in order here:

First ..  Cheaters is a pretty strong word to throw out there, Faterson ...and totally uncalled for IMO.  You say "legions" of masters that cheated to get there, yet  no mention of the sandbagging pros that will be excluded ( probably " legions" of those, too).

Second ....Let's review this again. This is niv's tournament- his idea, his planning, his work in setting up pages, HIS RULES .... no different than any other community tournament. Each host has his/her own set of  rules.

Third ... Limiting this to only masters insures a tournament comprised of comparably skilled and equipped players, all playing under the exact same conditions. No complaints about "master-only" equipment and no complaining about the pro's advantage of playing the shorter course with nearly equal equipment ... sounds like bliss to me.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Mon, Dec 14 2009 8:05 AM

jeffdos924:
    sounds like bliss to me.

No doubt! You're on the right side of the fence, after all.

jeffdos924:
    Limiting this to only masters insures a tournament comprised of comparably skilled and equipped players

It does not. As I said, there are many "Masters" on this site who would have still been Pros if they had recorded all of their scores, good or bad. That's a fact.

No disrespect intended, I'm only stating facts, and I simply wanted to ask slor a question. I deplore but respect Nivlac's & slor's decision, and that's that. Please continue with your regularly scheduled programming.  

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Mon, Dec 14 2009 8:12 AM

Well put Jeff ---- One more thought.

Given the intensive qualifying criteria .... including 4 weeks of single round 9 hole, 18 hole and multi round tournaments weighted heavily over the 9 hole unlimited play tournament ... it will be interesting to see how many "Cheaters" actually make the final 32.  My guess is not many ....

Suggestion to Mr. Faterson ... if you really would like to see the pro / master tiers mixed in a tournament of this kind .... why don't you run one ???  I'm sure there are lots of players who would like to be included.

• slor
    902 Posts
    Mon, Dec 14 2009 9:00 AM

Faterson:

jeffdos924:
    sounds like bliss to me.

No doubt! You're on the right side of the fence, after all.

jeffdos924:
    Limiting this to only masters insures a tournament comprised of comparably skilled and equipped players

It does not. As I said, there are many "Masters" on this site who would have still been Pros if they had recorded all of their scores, good or bad. That's a fact.

No disrespect intended, I'm only stating facts, and I simply wanted to ask slor a question. I deplore but respect Nivlac's & slor's decision, and that's that. Please continue with your regularly scheduled programming.  

OK, Faterson. We're all good now. Thanks for your well-mannered post.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Mon, Dec 14 2009 9:27 AM

slor:

• Why not call the 'National' Conference the 'American' Conference? It would cut down on any confusion (Which nation? Whose nation? etc....) 
  • If we aren't going to be assigned to divisions based on geography, then let's have more fun with it than just doing N/S/E/W. Maybe name them after your favourite cities? Maybe name them after legends of the game a la http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_WGC-Accenture_Match_Play_Championship? (or to be cuter, use Tibbets, AvatarLee, NASAgolfer, etc...) 
  • I'd be happy to host a second tier league for those (the next 32?) who didn't make the cut.
  • 'National' is the typical American designation that most of us would recognize.  Even if you're totally confused on sign up I can still place you in the right conference.  Also, on the sign up form it does mention Non-USA and USA.

I thought about naming the divisions with more than just generic cardinal directions, but for the sake of scheduling and future scheduling rotation it was easier to leave them as they are and reduce my own confusion.

I appreciate the offer, but there's a lot more going on behind the scenes than most folks realize.  Running a secondary league is just not an option, but thank you.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Mon, Dec 14 2009 1:37 PM

nivlac:
    'National' is the typical American designation that most of us would recognize.

Only as a linguistic aside, I can confirm (as translator) that the term national is a troublesome one, is often ambiguous and difficult to translate from English to other languages. It also appears the term national conveys different connotations in American English and British English. Some word combinations appear impossible to be translated; if anyone knows how to translate the term national television into German, Russian, Slovak, or Czech, please let me know, but I think it can't be done. You can't properly translate a term like that; you can only describe it. As another example, "NHL" is commonly translated into Slovak or Czech not as "National Hockey League", but as "Canadian-American NHL" (see dozens of thousands of Google hits pointing to that descriptive phrase).

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Mon, Dec 14 2009 2:51 PM

Thank you for your contribution however, this is not the place to discuss the finer points of word origins or the merits of exclusion.  Please take those conversations to a different thread.

If you have questions about the WMPL or the qualifying procedure specifically then by all means feel free to ask them.

Please do not clutter this thread with off-topic discussions that are unrelated to the registration, rules or execution of this league.

Thank you

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Mon, Dec 14 2009 3:04 PM

Now...

Strong push in International sign-ups in the last few days.  16 total for now and I expect at least double that number by the end of the registration.  I spy some free time this week, so I'll be sending out personal invitations soon.

USA registrations are progressing along as they should.  I didn't anticipate any issues with that as there are plenty of Americans hangin' around.

FYI,  Late Registration will be available until the start of Qualifying Week 3.  If you know someone who ends up missing the first week of qualifiers and still wants to get involved, let 'em know the ship hasn't quite sailed. :)

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Wed, Dec 16 2009 11:22 AM

Just bumping this to the front since it's been a few days. =)

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Wed, Dec 16 2009 1:12 PM

RSS