Forums

Help › Forums

Balls rolling through pins and over holes

Tue, Aug 28 2012 6:28 AM (127 replies)
  • drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Wed, Apr 11 2012 9:25 AM

andyson:
    Bottom line, it appears to be accelerating, but its not.

Andyson, Thank you, that was one of the most concise explanations I've seen in the forums and basically renders my rant about increased ball speed on lip outs useless. One more "however' though, I've also seen this phenomena when the ball "appears" to roll over the hole in a straight or relatively straight line which would tend to negate the perception of "angular speed". Still looking to buy fuzzy dice in pro shop, lol.

Doc

• drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Wed, Apr 11 2012 9:39 AM

dfDurbs:

SOYEL1:
    you get 3 useless cameras.

4 in my case...damn, I have zoomed in and this looks dead centre of the hole

Andyson, as seen from camera angle # 2 does this not appear to gain speed on reaching the hole?

• oilyrag
    875 Posts
    Wed, Apr 11 2012 10:30 AM

drmoose:

Andyson, as seen from camera angle # 2 does this not appear to gain speed on reaching the hole?

watch again from camera 2, but this time cover the hole something like below

what do you see this time?

• drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Wed, Apr 11 2012 10:56 AM

Oily, did as you suggested, but not sure if I follow you on this, by covering the area where the ball accelerates it appears it maintains a constant speed. So, are you saying "Don't look"? Or, "Just ignore the fact that the ball appears to accelerate"? I guess the point I'm trying to make here is based on something I had heard about some type of "randomness factor" being applied to WGT game play, and whether or not that also applied to putting. If it does, all the calculations and practice in the world are not going to put that ball in the cup if a miss has been programmed in. To me, there seems to be some correlation between the "accelerating" ball and a missed putt, but hey, I wear a tinfoil hat so what do I know.

Doc

• oilyrag
    875 Posts
    Wed, Apr 11 2012 11:23 AM

i see no acceleration after the hole

i see a kind of "blink" effect, when the line of the ball passes from green to hole back to green.

this then, maybe an optical illusion of acceleration.

by covering the hole and concentrating only on the ball i only see a smooth run

• drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Wed, Apr 11 2012 11:55 AM

oilyrag:

i see a kind of "blink" effect, when the line of the ball passes from green to hole back to green.

this then, maybe an optical illusion of acceleration.

Oily, thanks, as both you and andyson have pointed out, It may be the "illusion" of acceleration in correlation to missed putts that I have noticed, but the missed putts remain very real ( in a virtual way, of course).This being said, I'd still like to know if there is some underlying random effect programmed in whereby a perfectly executed putt can still miss the cup.

Doc

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Thu, Apr 12 2012 6:26 AM

Thanks for the kind words Doc! 

Its just me, but I don't see the acceleration in any of the above cases.  Probably because I'm aware of the illusion factor.

Just like any other club, the putter has built in randomness resulting in deviations in distance and direction.  Better putters have smaller deviations.  Keep in mind some deviations will work in our favor.  A not so perfectly executed putt will go in the cup due to a "lucky" deviation that corrects for our error.

"#$%@ it!  I missed the ding!  Ooooh it went in anyway!!"

Andy

• drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Thu, Apr 12 2012 7:06 AM

andyson:

"#$%@ it!  I missed the ding!  Ooooh it went in anyway!!"

LOL, been there a few thousand times. I'm not looking for any excuses for my poor putting skills, and what you have stated about "deviations" being built in to all of the equipment may be the closest thing to an answer I'm going to get ( actually it's a pretty damn good one). I made an observation about what appeared to be a possible link between percieved ball acceleration leading to missed putts indicating some random factor had come into play, almost as if the game, when confronted with doing the physically impossible, gives itself away by leaving these little hints manifested through erratic ball behavior. I'll leave it at that, but ,on second thought, I am going to add it to my already extensive list of why I keep missing those 3 footers, lol. Thanks again.

Doc

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Thu, Apr 12 2012 7:18 AM

Like the PGA Pros on TV, when I miss a short putt I blame a spike mark and tap it down to let everyone know it wasn't MY fault!

• drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Thu, Apr 12 2012 7:58 AM

Lol, Perfect, will do.

Doc

RSS