Forums

Help › Forums

Averages (help/info required please)

Sun, Jan 22 2023 8:06 AM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • CarlSorrel
    6 Posts
    Tue, Jan 10 2023 8:03 AM

Hi, Between 6th & 7th January 2023 I played 6 full 18 hole ranked rounds at 5 different courses. My scores were between 63 & 66 for all 6 rounds. My average before I started was 61.22 and stayed at 61.22 when I'd finished. Can anyone shed any light on why my average isn't moving please?

Thanks.

• PureGro1
    1,656 Posts
    Tue, Jan 10 2023 9:38 AM

CarlSorrel:
    My scores were between 63 & 66 for all 6 rounds. My average before I started was 61.22 and stayed at 61.22

Just a quick and dirty answer- You need scores lower than your average to drop said average...

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,634 Posts
    Tue, Jan 10 2023 3:19 PM

PureGro1:

CarlSorrel:
    My scores were between 63 & 66 for all 6 rounds. My average before I started was 61.22 and stayed at 61.22

Just a quick and dirty answer- You need scores lower than your average to drop said average...

It's rather a clear and accurate answer to me.

• CarlSorrel
    6 Posts
    Wed, Jan 11 2023 12:26 AM

Thanks, makes sense now - I wish WGT had said that when I emailed them.

• CarlSorrel
    6 Posts
    Wed, Jan 11 2023 12:32 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. I generally play 18 holes against a Legend friend most days. I'm not super interested in making Legend status (mainly because I will be at a great disadvantage unless I start spending on better balls) but I was curious about the averages. It seems to make sense that I need to be scoring 61 or better to lower my average more; not sure that's attainable with my current setup. 

• oohaahh
    376 Posts
    Wed, Jan 11 2023 3:33 AM

....but if your average is not going up when you score over 61.22 then you are saturated at your current tier and any high scores will have no impact on the average (or a very marginal one at best if for instance a 62 knocks a 63 out of your best 50 rounds....as a TM uses their best 50 ranked rounds to generate their average).

....you probably just need a couple of 9 hole rounds of 30 or below to get you under a 61 average and to start driving from the Legend tees (a 9 hole 29 essentially counts as an 18 hole 58 in calculating WGT averages).

Enjoy the back tees when you get there...

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Wed, Jan 11 2023 4:22 AM

Clearly with the scores you got on the 6th and 7th you mean why didn't your average go up, the answers that immediately follow confuse me. 

To be promoted from TM to Legend you need an average of 61 over 50 ranked rounds at that tier (TM).

When you've played 50 rounds at TM you are saturated, that means your average is no longer a true average of your rounds at TM but becomes an average of your 50 best rounds.  At that point it can no longer go up as any round that's worse (than the highest score included in the 50) is disregarded. It does mean a score of 62 could drop your average (as said immediately above) and a 61 always will, but nothing will make it get higher (until you're a Legend). 

Edit: Seems I was completely wrong and you were expecting your average to go down (not sure how I missed these posts, maybe moderation delays) but I'll leave the above anyway as the description of how tier progression works may be a little help to someone and also, I complain about others changing what they said.

• PureGro1
    1,656 Posts
    Thu, Jan 12 2023 7:56 AM

DodgyPutter:
    Clearly with the scores you got on the 6th and 7th you mean why didn't your average go up, the answers that immediately follow confuse me. 

Lol, not so Clear after all...

CarlSorrel:

Thanks for the quick reply. I generally play 18 holes against a Legend friend most days. I'm not super interested in making Legend status (mainly because I will be at a great disadvantage unless I start spending on better balls) but I was curious about the averages. It seems to make sense that I need to be scoring 61 or better to lower my average more; not sure that's attainable with my current setup. 

Your welcome, you have a better equipment load out than many I see- You will end up at back tees at some point, enjoy the journey...

• PAGES
RSS