Forums

Help › Forums

Using a wedge on the Green

Thu, Feb 6 2014 10:50 AM (66 replies)
  • Saucybabe
    361 Posts
    Tue, Dec 6 2011 9:36 AM

I think WGT should put a stop 2 this. No way you will be allowed in real golf to use your wedge on a long putt when you on the green. This is supposed to be a realistic golf game!! I see this as cheating!!!! I have seen lots of members doing this more and more when playing Alt and other games!

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Tue, Dec 6 2011 4:30 PM

Saucybabe:

I think WGT should put a stop 2 this. No way you will be allowed in real golf to use your wedge on a long putt when you on the green. This is supposed to be a realistic golf game!! I see this as cheating!!!! I have seen lots of members doing this more and more when playing Alt and other games!

surely you can use wedge on green? I seen it once on TV, it was on that double green links style hole, where the green was banana shaped?

what do the rules say about it?

-wgticon

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Tue, Dec 6 2011 10:17 PM

Saucybabe:

You're wrong. Unless there is a local club rule on a course then you are allowed to use any club on any part of the course. You can drive with a putter and putt with a driver too.

• weejohn5
    66 Posts
    Tue, Dec 6 2011 11:00 PM

I agree, no decent golfer would take a divot out of a green when other players have to follow [in 'real' golf]. Plus, any self-respecting greenkeeper would beat you with a wedge!!

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Tue, Dec 6 2011 11:43 PM

weejohn5:

I agree, no decent golfer would take a divot out of a green when other players have to follow 

Then I'm an indecent golfer. :-)

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Tue, Dec 6 2011 11:47 PM

Zach Johnson chipping on the green LAST WEEK at the Chevron. No divot, no penalty, no rabid greenskeeper beating him with an old 1 iron. Nice shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t65tW56Lkeo

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Wed, Dec 7 2011 12:56 AM

Icon:

According to the FAQ published by both the USGA and the R&A, under Rule 14-1:

Using Club other than Putter on Putting Green?
    Q.  
    Is it permissible to use a club other than a putter to play a stroke on the putting green?

A.  Yes, the Rules of Golf do not stipulate the type of club that must be used for making a stroke on the putting green or anyplace else on the golf course. 

• D51nn3tt
    73 Posts
    Wed, Dec 7 2011 5:42 AM

[/quote] 

read um & weep you are complaining about your own personal beliefs. Nothing based on reality or any kind of logic just more like a brain fart.[quote user="Saucybabe"]

• oilyrag
    875 Posts
    Wed, Dec 7 2011 6:41 AM

zagraniczniak:

Icon:

According to the FAQ published by both the USGA and the R&A, under Rule 14-1:

Using Club other than Putter on Putting Green?
    Q.  
    Is it permissible to use a club other than a putter to play a stroke on the putting green?

A.  Yes, the Rules of Golf do not stipulate the type of club that must be used for making a stroke on the putting green or anyplace else on the golf course. 

in fact, go a little further.

the rules stipulate that you are allowed a maximum of 14 clubs.

no rules on what those clubs should be, only that they conform to the rules.

so..... put 14 drivers in your bag if you want, or maybe 14 sand wedges.

nothing says you must put a putter in your bag.

RSS