Forums

Help › Forums

Using a wedge on the Green

Thu, Feb 6 2014 10:50 AM (66 replies)
  • TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Tue, Dec 20 2011 3:39 PM

DannyPhan:

No trick to it, just need to practice it so you know the distances.

Full shot with 64 or 60 wedge will go Approx half the rated distance. I.E. clev64 full shot says 60yrds, with Full B/S goes 28 yrds and stops dead (for me).

But IMO only used when Putt distance is over 60ft, or with up/down left/right (multiple) breaks, or blocked by bunker/Fairway.

Will play some practice rounds and see how it works

• JeezusH
    30 Posts
    Mon, Jan 30 2012 8:19 AM

never works for me - it just goes miles, almost like a normal shot - what am i doing wrong i wonders :)

• TrikiRik
    103 Posts
    Mon, Jan 30 2012 8:47 PM

Icon:

According to the FAQ published by both the USGA and the R&A, under Rule 14-1:

Using Club other than Putter on Putting Green?
    Q.  
    Is it permissible to use a club other than a putter to play a stroke on the putting green?

A.  Yes, the Rules of Golf do not stipulate the type of club that must be used for making a stroke on the putting green or anyplace else on the golf course. 

Interesting thread.  Many moons ago my boss conned me into taking up golf, a year or two later having sensed my discouragment at not being able to even come close to matching his scores he offered to play a round using just one club against my full bag.  Seemed a no brainer to me, we bet a case of bud and we played our home course, guess who won.  18 years later I've yet to beat him, ahh it's a screwey game anyway.  Just gotta keep practicing I guess.

• imahokiefan
    10 Posts
    Mon, Jun 4 2012 7:52 AM

Icon, 

It appears we are no longer able to spin the ball on the green with wedge shots (the dot is no longer there to adjust).  Given that this shot is within the rules of golf, why the change in WGT play?

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Mon, Jun 4 2012 11:02 AM

imahokiefan:
    It appears we are no longer able to spin the ball on the green with wedge shots (the dot is no longer there to adjust).  Given that this shot is within the rules of golf, why the change in WGT play?

No one says you can't use the shot, you just can't dial up the spin. You can't dial up spin by adjusting a dot on your ball in real life, can you?

• imahokiefan
    10 Posts
    Mon, Jun 4 2012 11:24 AM

Interesting, but non-applicable post zagranicczniak...  Please reread my post.  I asked why the change, not if we could use the shot.  Additionally, the argument you present makes no sense. Can I take it you are for removing the spin dot for all shots?  If not, why should the wedge shot on the green be any different than the wedge on the fairway or fringe?   And yes, I can 'dial' up or down the spin in real life by playing a flop, spinning chip or running shot with my real Cleveland CG15 62 degree wedge from the green if I choose to do so.  While a WGT Legend, apparently, this is a real life shot you have yet to master.  Go back to sleep and let icon answer my question as originally stated.

• Reaytj
    114 Posts
    Mon, Jun 4 2012 1:46 PM

WGTicon:

Saucybabe:

I think WGT should put a stop 2 this. No way you will be allowed in real golf to use your wedge on a long putt when you on the green. This is supposed to be a realistic golf game!! I see this as cheating!!!! I have seen lots of members doing this more and more when playing Alt and other games!

surely you can use wedge on green? I seen it once on TV, it was on that double green links style hole, where the green was banana shaped?

what do the rules say about it?

-wgticon

WGTicon, EXACTLY!......the rules say you can use this shot.   Why as we fast forward to present day has the WGT engineers removed spin from the ball, which makes it react somewhat like a putter & not what the wedge shot on the green was supposed to do?

Please reconsider, & allow the spin to be applied again on our wedges when used on the green.

TIA

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Mon, Jun 4 2012 6:09 PM

It is almost impossible to put a substantial amount of backspin on a wedge on a real life green. Even Phil's real life green wedges are usually wide open flop shots that land softly and still run out a few feet. Considering that he's arguably the best in the world at that type of shot, the shots that people were hitting with wedges on this game were unrealistic.  In real life you would have to take a divot out of the green to get enough force on the ball to put that kind of backspin on it.

I suspect WGT programmers are just trying to get that shot closer to real life by removing the spin adjustment. 

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Mon, Jun 4 2012 8:25 PM

Players were relying on the wedge alot especially when putts approaching 50 feet or so.  The shot essentially removes any break in the putt and allows you to hit the ball essentially at the hole knowing the ball is not going to roll much.

RSS