Forums

Help › Forums

Using a wedge on the Green

Thu, Feb 6 2014 10:50 AM (66 replies)
  • Saucybabe
    361 Posts
    Wed, Dec 7 2011 7:05 AM

I bet you 1 of those farts that does the wedge shots on the green. I have never seen any1 using a wedge while playing golf on the green. Yes the greenkeeper will slap you upside the head!!

• SamanthaWho
    3,403 Posts
    Wed, Dec 7 2011 7:21 AM

phil hitting a flop shot on the green at the LA Open.....perfectly legal

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Wed, Dec 7 2011 7:38 AM

they chip it all the time on the green. But the rule is you have to 'pick it'.

You can't leave a divot on the green,,then the greenskeeper will slap you.

Zack Johnson chipped one on the green last Sunday in his round with TIger.

He chipped a 40 footer up to about 4 feet and put it in for par. You will face a time when a putt just won't cut it on the green.

A putt that cannot be put near the hole, with anyother club other than a 60 wedge.

• TNP56
    510 Posts
    Wed, Dec 7 2011 8:00 AM

....well as a matter of fact....when i was watching the tiger woods tourney this weekend i saw .....it might of been the kid he was playing with use his wedge to chip a shot closer to the hole from the green.....and last year saw Phil Mickleson do it too at another tournament.

• Mesmorizer
    614 Posts
    Wed, Dec 7 2011 8:24 AM

Like you I have seen people do this in games. As all the above have said it is within the rules of golf. I do find it funny mind you people doing this when they have makable putts, but each player to there own thinking. Sit back and laugh when they do it with a makable putt, and sit back and enjoy when they hit the bugger. Its golf have fun.

Mes.

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Wed, Dec 7 2011 4:29 PM

zagraniczniak:

Icon:

According to the FAQ published by both the USGA and the R&A, under Rule 14-1:

Using Club other than Putter on Putting Green?
    Q.  
    Is it permissible to use a club other than a putter to play a stroke on the putting green?

A.  Yes, the Rules of Golf do not stipulate the type of club that must be used for making a stroke on the putting green or anyplace else on the golf course. 

Wow Zag I did not know that! My guess is if your took a divot some old greenskeeper would chase you with an old one iron!1  :-)

• SafariMan62
    222 Posts
    Wed, Dec 7 2011 7:35 PM

Mesmorizer:

Like you I have seen people do this in games. As all the above have said it is within the rules of golf. I do find it funny mind you people doing this when they have makable putts, but each player to there own thinking. Sit back and laugh when they do it with a makable putt, and sit back and enjoy when they hit the bugger. Its golf have fun.

Mes.

From 30-80 feet i will guess most putts are not not easily made.

But lately from this range I have holed 1 out of 3-4 attempts with my 64 degree Cleveland wedge & will have maybe a 1-3 foot tap in with the others. How many putters & players will get it that close every time..?

With practice and the right equipment, its a done thing!

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Thu, Dec 8 2011 7:41 AM

TracyMax:
    My guess is if your took a divot some old greenskeeper would chase you with an old one iron!

Yeah, the course marshal or whoever wouldn't be thrilled. I can imagine having a local rule requiring putters on the green ... don't know if that is done anywhere.

The wedge could certainly come in handy in WGT if you're at the bottom of the green on the 4th at St. George's, or blocked by the bunker on the Road Hole, or on the wrong half of any of those double greens at St. A's.

If anyone remembers, in the Links game there was the Riviera Country Club in LA (OJ Simpson's home course, BTW, back in the day, before the killing spree), and anyway, one of those holes (the 6th if memory serves) had a big round bunker cut like a doughnut hole right in the middle of the green. Would have to pitch over that thing.

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Thu, Dec 8 2011 9:17 AM

I have never tried it, how do you have to hit it? I have the 64.

• cubncp
    36 Posts
    Thu, Dec 8 2011 10:00 AM

renniw52:

I have never tried it, how do you have to hit it? I have the 64.

64 wedge on green, full shot, full back spin =27 yards depending on type of ball used, wind, how much of an incline  the hole sits on(all solid variables)full shot w/top spin around 33 yards( apply same variables)

RSS