Help › Forums

-4 after 9 holes at Bethpage

rated by 0 users
Sat, Aug 14 2010 5:13 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • UKCats
    165 Posts
    Sun, Feb 21 2010 11:30 AM

I was thrilled when I did this. I am in the Wk 8 unlimited play and posted -3 to get T17. My first hole I almost got an ace. Look at my replays for that one. Made a 15 footer for par on 2. Missed a 25 footer for birdie on 3. Solid birdie on 4. Great up an down on 5 for par. missed 13 footer for birdie on 6. The wind was 20mph at my back so, I had 88 yards in to the green. Disappointed to get par there. On 7 I needed to get par to have a chance at T3. The wind was in my favor. I hit a good drive and got my second shot on the green 45 feet away. I made the putt. Look at replays for that. Needed 2 birdies on 8 and 9 to tie for 1st. I hit my tee shot 20 feet passed the hole on 8. My putt from the fringe was just off. I was a little disappointed that I missed some opportunities. On 9 I hit a good drive with the wind at my back. My approach shot was about 11 yard off the green. I somehow chipped in for birdie on 9. Look at my replays for that shot. I would post the scorecard if I knew how. Check the standings if you don't believe me. I was pumped that I was able to do this.

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Sun, Feb 21 2010 12:43 PM

Congrats on the fine round, well played! =)

For information on how to post your scorecard (both to your profile and to the forums here) check out this tutorial written by one of our members.

• SystemCrash
    209 Posts
    Mon, Feb 22 2010 12:25 PM

Congrats and keep it up. That course is very hard and you got a good advance!

I remember finishing the first 9 Even.... but it got worse after the 11th. The best I did was +5 on the whole 18. So you are way ahead...

I wonder if people here played the real Bethpage to confirm if the back 9 is really harder than the front 9.

Rob

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Mon, Feb 22 2010 1:11 PM

I play it often in real life.  The whole course is brutal, but you have a few more scoring opportunities on the front.  I have shot 35 on the front (plays a 36 in real life) as my best, and my best back is 9 was 37(same day as the 35), for  a 72.  This was from the whites.  From the blues, or worse the tips, the back 9 is much harder for a few reasons(IMO):

1) If you were lucky enough to play the front well, meaning you lost less than 2 balls, and gave yourself some good chances at birdies, you start the back on 10.  10 probably plays as hard a 10th hole as there is, if the wind is in your face it makes it even tougher.  Now some background, I can hit a drive more than 300yds, and I can tell you I have hit driver, 3 wood into the wind on 10 from the tips, and been SHORT of the green.  Its rough.

2) 11 is a simple hole from the fairway, but only gets tougher the closer to the green you get, on in 2, take your very downhill putt or 8 foot breaking sideways putt, put it close to the hole and walk away with par.  If you miss the fairway left or right, its a very tough par hole.

3) 12, you have to hit it 270yds and in the fairway to have a shot at par.  That bunker we all clear in WGT is very much in play from the back tees.  Tough 2nd shot, pin up top is hard to get close.

4) 14, easy par 3 from the green, not easy from left or right short

5) 15, have yet to par it EVER in real life.  Seriously, like this game, maybe not so much on the approach since I have hit 5 iron to the top tier from 180 out, but its just impossible to putt.  Doesnt come into play much here, but right of green is steep drop off

6) 16, you know that 40-50% rough we hate from over 150yds out, that is all of 16, if you go further than 12 yds of the fairway, you need a spotter, otherwise good chance its gone.  The native grasses in summer are higher than your knee.

7) narrow green, huge bunkers, but like this game, if you hit the green you have a good chance at the putt, it doesnt move all too much except from top tier of the green to bottom of the green.  Unlike this game where we can all club to about 5yds of intended distance, back bunker is raised making bunker shot downhill, very tough

8) 18, plays pretty easy in this game from the fairway, does in real life as well, especially when tees are up, but miss this fairway, 6 comes into play easily.  bunkers right of green are deeeeeep, bunkers left and right of fairway are so scattered and weaving you can be up against any of the numerous lips that make the green unreachable.

9)  the front is tough enough for most courses, once you cross the street heading to 15, you realize every hole you made it through, and you are approaching some of the hardest holes on the course, that can make or break your round.  Unlike WGT, you reach the 10th in about 2-2.5hrs, you will not have waited on one tee for anyone in front of you, it just takes that long to play it.

10) NOOOOOO CARTS allowed on Black.  None.  Carry your bag, or pay someone to.  You climb the hill behind 17 to 18 tee, climb the 18th green, then climb to get back to clubhouse.  its exhausting.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Feb 22 2010 1:17 PM

Dang, neil-I got exhausted and frustrated just reading it!  What a great first hand synopsis. Nicely done.

• WojciechMigda
    158 Posts
    Mon, Feb 22 2010 1:37 PM

neildiamond11790:
    NOOOOOO CARTS allowed on Black.  None.

Pull carts included ?

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Mon, Feb 22 2010 2:12 PM

pullcarts are allowed, for a fee if rented.  But is it worth the laughs?

You know the famous sign, this is a hard course, yada yada, well thats the first teebox, and you check in an hour before playing, and 1 of the 4 practice greens is right there.  So you get like 10 to 30 people watching you tee off.  Last thing I need is a pull cart to be a laughed at with. 

As an FYI, if anyone goes, the main starter is a bit of a buster, they only allow 1 player on the tee box at once, so wait for your playing partner to walk off before standing on the teebox.

• WojciechMigda
    158 Posts
    Tue, Feb 23 2010 9:59 AM

neildiamond11790:
    But is it worth the laughs?
    neildiamond11790:
    Last thing I need is a pull cart to be a laughed at with. 

Why would people laugh at pull cart users ? First time I've heard sth like that ...

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Tue, Feb 23 2010 10:02 AM

unless you are over 55, pull carts are a no no where I am from.

• geeDub
    41 Posts
    Wed, Jul 14 2010 9:12 AM

When I visited my buddy who lives in NY.....he and I went last year.  What got me was how cheap it was to play there.  For 55 bucks I've played a whole helluva lot "less" public courses here in California that cost even MORE than that..  Btw,  I saw no one laughing at anybody with the rented pull carts.....including the youngsters out there.  Must've been a "non-snooty" day.  ;)

• PAGES
RSS