• GaryD007
    8 Posts
    Wed, Apr 18 2012 10:45 AM

All time best post on WGT !!!

• overtheedge
    5,881 Posts
    Mon, Apr 30 2012 5:13 AM

godelescher:

Etymologically, it's an interesting history.

Dormies have rarely been seen, but they are thought to be a rare subspecies of the wombat family native to the Scottish Highlands.

In one of nature's crueler evolutionary tactics, the Dormie's defense against predators is to have a nearly fatal heart attack and to emit a putrescent smell from its "death glands" located in its anus, (this is because its natural predators, birdies and eagles come from behind).

The only known sighting of a wild dormie occurred In 1620 during a match between Liam MacBarelegs and David MacLegsarebare.

On the 17th at St. Andrews, Liam, who was leading the match by 2 holes, but had driven into the left side fescue, flushed out the dormie while looking for his ball.

The dormie flew out of the fescue with a start (they can only fly short distances from the fescue) and across the fairway.

David, who was in the middle of his swing when all this happened, hit a monster slice that surely would have been the end of the match, if a wandering eagle hadn't spotted the dormie out in the open.

As the eagle flew in from behind to attack the dormie, MacLegsarebare's errant approach shot coincided squarely with the eagle's jutting talons.

With a golf ball now impaled on the now freaked out eagle's little toe, he tried to fly off toward his aerie, but the off-center weight and wind resistance created by his new adornment caused him to fly in a slow right to left arc directly over the 17th green.

As the eagle finally shook the ball free from his bruised toe, the ball fell with a soft plop 2' above the hole, caught the slope, then slowly rolled into the hole.

MacBarelegs was so disheartened by the events that he couldn't regain his composure at the 18th. He drove into the road, where he broke the windshield of a 17th century Saab, cursed, and walked off the course in a huff whith the match all square.

Ever since then, "Dormie" has been used when a player needs only to halve a hole to win a match. It's not an announcement so much as a warning, shortened from "gg, but watch out for a f&*%ing dormie"

Hope this helps

This is by far the most interesting story I have ever read on WGT. Thank you godel. Very cool. edge... 

• RUNWME
    1,011 Posts
    Mon, Apr 30 2012 5:16 AM

godelescher:

gsoup:
    did the eagle break its talon

no, he just mashed his niblick.

haha godelescher , funny stuff.    you crack me up

• MUSTAQBAL1
    270 Posts
    Mon, Apr 30 2012 6:10 AM

very created g.  :)

q

• LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Mon, Apr 30 2012 6:15 AM

By the powers imposed on me, I present you, Go del Escher, the Rossetesque award for carrying off and running with the ball in the face of factual evidence to the extent that a new legend is thus borne on the wings of a golf glove and shall forever unto days will end be recorded as the truth having been out there and now installed as the true meaning of the word Dormie.

Although I should point out that it is only the male Dormie which relies on foul odure as a means of staving off peril, the female being more domestically minded, preferring to stay indoors and wash golf balls which find their way into the sparse yet adequate nesting site. It should be noted that during opens and tournaments featuring players from across the Atlantic, the Dormie will, by adroit maneouvre, relocate to quieter pasture for the duration. This is known as "playing safe", much like the human guests of the Hotel illogically placed between the tee and the hole at number 17.

Lizzie xx

• Yappy22
    733 Posts
    Mon, Apr 30 2012 6:51 AM

Perchance do the female Dormie, after washing the balls that land in their nests, hatch said balls into baby Dormie's thus perpetuating the rare,odoriferous and elusive Dormie.

• gsoup
    2,929 Posts
    Mon, Apr 30 2012 7:57 AM

always thought it was a small protuberance on your roof line

• AGArgent
    343 Posts
    Mon, Apr 30 2012 8:17 AM

Actually, it's surprising to read that Sweden was importing cars at that time, ain't it.

• MioKontic
    4,645 Posts
    Mon, Apr 30 2012 8:47 AM

Yappy22:

Perchance do the female Dormie, after washing the balls that land in their nests, hatch said balls into baby Dormie's thus perpetuating the rare,odoriferous and elusive Dormie.

No, they get resold as lake balls.  I know they weren't fished from a lake, but neither you now I would know that.

• Lmorgan007
    408 Posts
    Mon, Apr 30 2012 8:53 AM

According to Brent Kelly at golf.about.com, the golfing term 'Dormie' comes from:

the word "dormir," which shares a French and Latin origin. "Dormir" means "to sleep." "Dormie" means that a player has reached a match-play lead that is insurmountable (at least in matches in which halves are in use) - and so the player can relax, knowing that he cannot lose the match. "Dormir" (to sleep) turns into "dormie" (relax, you can't lose).

At least, that's what the USGA Museum says. Most dictionaries list the etymology of "dormie" as unknown.

RSS