• cmey45
    11 Posts
    Mon, Apr 30 2012 9:33 AM

it means the other is close to beating you

• godelescher
    636 Posts
    Mon, Apr 30 2012 11:36 AM

LizzieRossetti:
    I present you, Go del Escher, the Rossetesque award for carrying off and running with the ball in the face of factual evidence

:)

• Yappy22
    733 Posts
    Mon, Apr 30 2012 11:45 AM

MioKontic:

Yappy22:

Perchance do the female Dormie, after washing the balls that land in their nests, hatch said balls into baby Dormie's thus perpetuating the rare,odoriferous and elusive Dormie.

No, they get resold as lake balls.  I know they weren't fished from a lake, but neither you now I would know that.

Aaaah Mio,  Me thinks a fraud has been foisted upon the golfing public, even if nobody knows it.  Lake balls indeed!!

• swdeva
    238 Posts
    Mon, Apr 30 2012 11:59 AM

I always know it as "do or die" ,  "make it or loose"

• overtheedge
    5,881 Posts
    Mon, Apr 30 2012 12:15 PM

Lmorgan007:

According to Brent Kelly at golf.about.com, the golfing term 'Dormie' comes from:

the word "dormir," which shares a French and Latin origin. "Dormir" means "to sleep." "Dormie" means that a player has reached a match-play lead that is insurmountable (at least in matches in which halves are in use) - and so the player can relax, knowing that he cannot lose the match. "Dormir" (to sleep) turns into "dormie" (relax, you can't lose).

At least, that's what the USGA Museum says. Most dictionaries list the etymology of "dormie" as unknown.

I still have to stick with Godel and his version. It is much more exciting...lol.

• Kriztjan
    1,437 Posts
    Mon, Apr 30 2012 12:32 PM

AGArgent:

Actually, it's surprising to read that Sweden was importing cars at that time, ain't it.

Well, we are usually ahead of time, with inventions like the zipper, screwdriver, ball bearing etc ;)  

And, at that time, we were exporting cars as this took place in the good ol´Scotland ;)

And Godels mythologi, i guess its so good is has to become the truth!

• AGArgent
    343 Posts
    Mon, Apr 30 2012 3:03 PM

Kriztjan:

AGArgent:

Actually, it's surprising to read that Sweden was importing cars at that time, ain't it.

Well, we are usually ahead of time, with inventions like the zipper, screwdriver, ball bearing etc ;)  

And, at that time, we were exporting cars as this took place in the good ol´Scotland ;)

And Godels mythologi, i guess its so good is has to become the truth!

Yes, sorry, Kj, I im'd when I shoulda ex'd. I was full of no coffee at the time.

• MioKontic
    4,645 Posts
    Mon, Apr 30 2012 3:12 PM

Just to clarify, Dormie as used on WGT is actually incorrect.  As a few have already said, Dormie is only when a player cannot lose a matchplay game, at worst halving the match.  On WGT if a match is all square after the last hole of normal play, extra holes are played until a winner is established, hence there can be no Dormie.

RSS