Forums

Help › Forums

Our Plans for New Tiers and Levels

Wed, Dec 18 2013 1:21 AM (313 replies)
  • IvaThongon
    933 Posts
    Tue, Aug 10 2010 3:22 PM

Well, I suppose will add my two pennies to this.

First off, I don't play for credits, only for my own amusement, so I feel I am looking at this objectively.

I very much agree that this change could only increase sandbagging. I know sandbagging doesn't affect me personally, but, it seems to me that on a site with gambling disclaimers and certain countries and states being restricted by wagering, that blatant sandbagging borders on criminal behavior. Sandbagging will only truly be removed if WGT becomes vigilant and removes the players doing it as they are reported, by freezing their accounts immediately on proof (ie, like that guy mentioned the other day shooting well in tournaments, and then 90s or 180s every other game). Ban the offending player, block the IP address, and freeze the credits.

I also agree with the point of legends with legend equipment vs a pro with legend equipment not really being a level playing field, if playing for credits. Since I don't play the RTGs, I can only use the following analogy. I would love to be able to play with say an R9 driver from short tees and have a short iron or wedge for an approach...especially against someone playing from extremely long tees, same equipment, and maybe not even being able to reach green in two.

All that said, I do applaud WGT for addressing this, and hope i have given an objective opinion.

My last comment is in regard to quitting. I could careless if someone quits, since they are only fooling themselves. Since it truly seems to be hot button issue, there is a very easy fix for it. I have stated it before, but perhaps this is a good place to repeat it. Simply make every ranked round have to be finished, and quitting becomes pointless. Every single player ranked round, every multiplayer ranked round, every single play tournament round, every unlimited play tournament round. By doing this, quitting becomes irrelevant. Furthermore, it makes the ranking system a lot more like a handicap. In real life, you can't play say 16 holes, just quit and say I'm not gonna count this one. Also, it addresses the entire idea of different reasons for quitting (some are quitters to protect average, some get disconnected, power outage, internet problem, whatever). A ranked game started gets finished. You quit, get disconnected, whatever, when you comeback, you finish. If nothing else, this would certainly fix the quitting problem AND get averages in line with ability for those who choose to quit rather than post.

A great example is the Virtual Open Qualifier that just happened. Many people would tee off on 1, don't get a birdie of better, restart. On what planet in real life would a tournament qualifier give you unpenalized do-overs. Seems to me, you start a game, you finish it. That is how real life works, and this game tries to be a real life as possible.

Sorry for the book, but to summarize:

• excellent idea on more tiers
    • poorly thought out on the sandbagging issue
    • great idea on levels (not just tiers) based on participation
    • addressing the quitting issue as I've offered above would tie in wonderfully with this new roll out

Hope I made sense, and thanks for your time.

• Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Tue, Aug 10 2010 3:35 PM

King, Iva and Bollox have hit the nail on the head. 95% of these are great but the sandbagging still could be a problem. I do agree that by having your AVG count in the RG's will cut back and limit ones ability to sandbag. I think I need to hear a few more details. You have gotten me a bit excited about the changes though.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Tue, Aug 10 2010 3:53 PM

...And that's just it Sarge. This idea has only been suggested, and has a long way to go to implementation. Give the idea a chance to culminate before everyone starts casting dispersions about it.

• IvaThongon
    933 Posts
    Tue, Aug 10 2010 4:19 PM

I'm excited about possible changes, too! I hope this thread can stay on topic.

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Tue, Aug 10 2010 4:31 PM

The forum over there has nothing to do with this thread, please send a friend invite so you two can argue in private if thats what you wish for. Most of us could care less.

Other than being a cash cow for WGT with the equipment, I see no advantage to being a sufficient master now days, what exactly I worked for all this time and you give it away to anyone is ludicrus IMO. Clubs should be sold only to those who put in the time and effort to attain them.

I've spent several thousand dollars playing this game to my enjoyment, why on earth would a pro be able to buy Legend clubs is far beyond me? Each day the drive to excel here is less and less for me and has been for a while now.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Tue, Aug 10 2010 4:40 PM

Sorry you feel that way Blue.

"We’re planning to make the equipment in the Pro Shop available based on Level rather than Tier. A player who never develops all the skills necessary to reach the Master Tier will still be able to gain access to advanced equipment if they achieve enough experience Levels".

A Hack will have to do some serious playing to get the skills necessary to gain advanced equipment to me. Now if a Hack is able to expediently obtain Master equipment, there could be a good chance that member is a multiple account holder, just maybe.

• Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Tue, Aug 10 2010 4:45 PM

Actually Richard I am excited about the concept and ideas laid out! No dispersions intended just brainstorming this....

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Tue, Aug 10 2010 4:46 PM

Blue's right .. can't just let anyone buy clubs at any level.

1) Use only single play tourney scores for average - free, premium or ready go .. doesn't really matter as long as you can't advance without scoring well in single play tournaments - it does away with the "ranked 90" syndrome.

2) Only award upgraded clubs as you progress in tier and move back in tees.

No benefit for keeping your scores high "i.e. sandbagging" ... a) you won't win in tournaments and b) you won't get better equipment.

Won't fix quitters .. nothing will .. it's a game learn to live with it.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Tue, Aug 10 2010 4:46 PM

It was in general Sarge. My apologies for any misunderstandings.

• geordieles
    516 Posts
    Tue, Aug 10 2010 4:49 PM

I think the main concern here is lower tier players playing with superior equiptment from their tees,if however wgt intend to have the lower tier player with this equiptment play from the tees designed for the clubs thats a different story,i certainly wont mind playing a pro from master tees for example,if thats the equiptment he has,and likewise in tournaments,he/she plays from the appropriate tees for the clubs.

RSS