Forums

Help › Forums

Re: PUTTING SUCKS AT OAKMONT

Fri, Dec 31 2010 9:33 AM (33 replies)
  • bfghd
    1,344 Posts
    Thu, Dec 30 2010 3:32 PM

for oakmont #9, I lay up or find the bunker that has been talked about. Also, if you go a little left and long of the hole, the ball comes back. Green speed would play a part in it, so I'm not sure about thoose icy legend greens

• PeterHopper
    1,315 Posts
    Thu, Dec 30 2010 5:26 PM

Bigfoot49uk:

I must say I agree with the comments. On any golf course there should be a penalty for a bad shot and a reward for a good one. On this green there's only penalties. They need to put the pin in a position where it's relatively accessible with a good shot. If you need to miss the green to have the best chance of a par, there's something far wrong.

Spot on, and I think WGT should think about this for this hole and BP15.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Thu, Dec 30 2010 11:44 PM

I tend to look at it this way.  Sometimes par is a great score for a hole. Oak #9 and BPB #15 (old pin location) fits that criteria very well.  Are there different ways of playing this hole?  Most definitely.   Find the approach that is right for you and you'll find achieving par is attainable.

I tend to layup on both these holes to within my 64 degree wedge.  Take lots of notes of the elevation, windage and yardage to the hole.  Eventually you'll find a winning combination and with practice you'll get close to the hole 95% of the time. 

This game is not without putting lots of  practice time in. 

BPB is a great course to teach yourself course management.  You can not always reach the green in regulation, so find the areas with you can bail out (traps are good place) and learn to get up and down from.

I spent 4 days in the traps and rough on BPB with my current wedges to get a feel for flopping, chipping and full shots. 

S.A. provides other challenges with the fescue, also note the sand traps on S.A., KiW and Oak do not behave the same as BPB.

Enough rambling, but Oak #9 and BPB #15 in my opinion give the player unique challenges.

JMO

Shade

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Fri, Dec 31 2010 9:33 AM

Great info Shade, I look at it the same way. Par on #15 BPB, Oak. #9, and STA #17 will gain a stroke on a great number of players in any given tourney, or match play. If you force the issue with a bad wind you certainly bring some large numbers into play. JB

RSS