Forums

Help › Forums

PUTTING SUCKS AT OAKMONT

Fri, Dec 31 2010 9:33 AM (33 replies)
  • ironking34
    749 Posts
    Tue, Dec 21 2010 8:50 PM

150 yards to the hole, putted for a distance of 105 (thought about 90 but thought it might end up short and I would still have that impossible downhill putt) expecting the extra roll, putts goes 205.  Oakmont 9th hole, fast becoming my least favorite hole right next to Bethpage 15 and St. Andrews 17.

http://wgt.com/replay.aspx?ID=2f63a152-3977-47bb-8b8c-9e54004c2e58

• CMcCartney727
    1,417 Posts
    Tue, Dec 21 2010 9:20 PM

Yeah, those greens are a joke... ruins the game.  I love the Oakmont course tee-to-green, but the humps and bumps in the greens are ridiculous, along with some of the pin placements (like #9).  When I manage to play a round without getting practically unplayable putts, it's fun.  Having a 7 1/2 foot sidehill putt with a 6" drop is not.

• JuanMendoza
    469 Posts
    Tue, Dec 21 2010 10:37 PM

There are as yet undiscovered tribes of pygmies in the Amazon, who know that above the hole at Oakmont #9 is death, havent you worked it out yet?

• ironking34
    749 Posts
    Tue, Dec 21 2010 10:44 PM

JuanMendoza:

There are as yet undiscovered tribes of pygmies in the Amazon, who know that above the hole at Oakmont #9 is death, havent you worked it out yet?

Just started playing Oakmont last week for the first time, still trying to figure out the course.  9 seems like an impossible hole regardless of where you place the ball.

• AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Wed, Dec 22 2010 4:08 AM

OAKMONT # 9 - Play for PAR and strategize the hole accordingly.

HINT: Throw conventional wisdom regarding GIR out the window.  The Exceptionally Rare BIRDIE will almost ALWAYS come from off the green. 

Play Well!  AtlantaCoaster

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Wed, Dec 22 2010 4:10 AM

ironking34:
    Just started playing Oakmont last week for the first time, still trying to figure out the course.  9 seems like an impossible hole regardless of where you place the ball.

hint: I play it like 15 at BP I Lay up! You will find it easier to wedge to the pin leaving a decent par putt (most of the time)

• gfsullivan
    196 Posts
    Wed, Dec 22 2010 5:09 AM

Oakmont #9: I always go for the right bunker, leaving a perfect angle to hole out or at least get a tap in par. Same thing with BP 15.

as for the "impossible" putts on Oakmont, theyre just as bad in real life. I havent had the chance to play Oakmont but have played tracks with similiar greens that are just as, if not worse, than the putts you see in this game.

• jordanisawesome
    620 Posts
    Wed, Dec 22 2010 7:24 AM

ironking34:
    There are as yet undiscovered tribes of pygmies in the Amazon, who know that above the hole at Oakmont #9 is death, havent you worked it out yet

what you do is not go for the green in two u put it about around 40 yards in front of the green then use ur wedge from that 40 yards to put it close then u just half to settle for par which is gr8 on that hole...hope that helps

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Wed, Dec 22 2010 10:24 AM

learning to love the greens at oakmont.  only course where if you are playing someone else putts inside 8ft are not automatic.  I also enjoy hitting a 28ft putt the speed of a 7ft putt.  Fun watching that thing track and works its way to the hole.  I thoroughly enjoy putts that take 20 seconds before they stop.

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Wed, Dec 22 2010 10:39 AM

I enjoy the putting challenge of oakmont aside from #9.  Of the 108 pin placements currently in use for stroke play on wgt that is the only one I would consider unfair.  The slope is just too severe to be properly show on a 2x2 ft grid making some 3 ft putts a total crapshoot.

RSS