Wed, Nov 4 2015 2:58 AM (68 replies)
  • fravel
    1,716 Posts
    Sat, Oct 31 2015 11:51 AM

Congrats NZ.

• hillise
    383 Posts
    Sat, Oct 31 2015 12:02 PM

World Champions "NEW ZEALAND"  what a game. ABS all class running out winners 34- 17. Aussie closed the gape to 4 points withe the abs down to 14 men but held there composure to set up a late try to Beauden Barrett. Only 1 team in it NZ dominating all aspects of thee game. Woooo hooooo. As George Gregan once said 4 more years Australia.

• WigerToods2010
    8,446 Posts
    Sun, Nov 1 2015 3:50 AM

Well done to New Zealand on emerging as the 2015 Rugby World Cup Champions - totally deserved.

Outwith anyone's own country what has been your own personal highlight of the tournament?

Mine, being an ole softy, was probably the reaction of the fans towards the Georgian player being awarded the MOTM award against New Zealand in the group stages - brought back memories of what the game really should be all about.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

The host country failing to get through to the KO stages runs it a very close second though...........  ;O)

• petervcpt
    1,013 Posts
    Sun, Nov 1 2015 4:59 AM

Howzit

My best moment was after our match against NZ.

As the final whistle sounded, replacement All Blacks centre Sonny Bill Williams, instead of celebrating with his team-mates, found his distraught-looking Springbok counterpart Jesse Kriel sitting against a goal post and offered him words of encouragement - and a hug - before helping him to his feet.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sun, Nov 1 2015 11:11 AM

WigerToods2010:
    The host country failing to get through to the KO stages runs it a very close second though...........  ;O)

LOL

For me, Sonny Bill giving his winning medal to the kid who got tackled by security was pretty cool.

But the emergence of the minnow nations is probably the overriding feature - for rugby to grow this is what the game needs. That Japanese win against SA was incredible (sorry Peter).

Also I have to point out the sportsmanship, particularly of the winning teams consoling the losing team.......rugby is about bashing the hell out of the opponent on the field, then having a beer and a laugh afterwards. In the day of professionalism this often gets lost, but was seen constantly throughout the knockout phase.

• WigerToods2010
    8,446 Posts
    Sun, Nov 1 2015 12:34 PM

@ Alanti:

Was going to go for the Japanese winning v SA - just have the image of the Georgian player stuck in my head.

You're spot on regarding the sportsmanship in what is after all a full-steam-ahead contact sport. Superb the way the players applaud the other team off the park. Being Glaswegian I somehow don't quite see that making the transition over to football.

We do the beer afterwards bit quite easily - different pubs is the norm' though. :)

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sun, Nov 1 2015 1:07 PM

WigerToods2010:
    Being Glaswegian I somehow don't quite see that making the transition over to football.

Come off it Johnny....I can really picture it Celtic FC forming a guard of honour and clapping the Rangers team off (or vice versa)..................while the spectators riot as they are say...WTF....WTF..

I see Peter's post has since emerged (moderation?) and hit the same note, this really for me sums up what the game is about.

Thanks for the thread Peter.

• craigswan
    31,556 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2015 2:51 AM

Maybe the scottish team could line up to shake Craig Joubert by the throat .

• WigerToods2010
    8,446 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2015 2:58 AM

craigswan:

Maybe the scottish team could line up to shake Craig Joubert by the throat .

Craigywaigy... let it go. LOL

~~~~~

Al,

Only now watched a vid of the young chap getting the medal. Brilliant gesture!

For a second I thought the steward was about to be flattened.

RSS