Help › Forums

Re: can someone from wgt contact me please worst abuse ive ever seen

Wed, Apr 7 2010 11:33 PM (54 replies)
  • VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Wed, Apr 7 2010 10:58 PM

Faterson:

VanHalenLover:
    you irresponsibly blamed the isp without giving the user the option to check his or her own settings

Only in your imagination. Are you trolling here? I explicitly advised the user to check his Hotmail settings, and then recommended the switch to Gmail, because even with optimal settings selected, emails often fail to get delivered, both to Inbox and Spam box.

And you have no proof to support this. The only example you are willing or able to provide was your own personal experience with your own mail servers. This has NOTHING to do with Hotmails protocol.

Faterson:

VanHalenLover:
    If your own E-mail servers are deleting users Email without their permission, then this is your issue.

No, stop trolling at long last. I said very clearly it's the recipient servers that delete emails, not my servers!  

See above, that is the example you referenced, and used no others. The reipient servers in this case are Hotmails servers, and you have no proof that they deleted anything without a user set preference allowing them to do that. And why is it that constructive suggestions are trolling in your book? If you can't handle a constructive debate, then leave - but you surely don't have to throw me under the bus (AGAIN) just because I don't agree with your opinion.

Faterson:

VanHalenLover:
    I'm guessing that I have no where near the technical expertise that you hold, lol.

You have amply displayed your naiveté in this area. If you've never heard of the 2‑tier filters used by most email providers (with the 1st level of filters being completely inaccessible to the mailbox holder and the mailbox's individual settings), then you have only yourself to blame.

Apparently MS is aware of this too, you might want to do a little info gathering on it here before you continue blaming them for the E-mail loss.

And now, I will bow out again and allow you to have the last word; again.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, Apr 7 2010 11:03 PM

Very intersting discourse for those of us who don't have this kind of insight into ISP's and email servers...

Until the ad hominems started...  Try to keep it civil F.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Wed, Apr 7 2010 11:13 PM

Snaike,

The library of Congress has some good info on blocking spam found here, but it is NOT done at an ISP or E-mail server level, where the E-mails simply disappear.  These methods strictly follow the guidelines of the National Institute of Standards and Technology.There are many reasons an E-mail is undeliverable, but none of them are purposely deleted by ANY E-mail system, unless it is allowed as per a user setting. unfortunately, many of these settings are set from the factory to delete suspicious E-mails, and it is up to the user to define the settings that work best for him or her.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Apr 7 2010 11:24 PM

VanHalenLover:
    And you have no proof to support this.

Of course I do, but I'm not your educator. I'm busy working, submitting a forum post here and there. Send me $100 and I can provide you with evidence. It would take time for me to retrieve it from wherever I stored it when I had to combat these issues most recently. And time is money.  

VanHalenLover:
    The reipient servers in this case are Hotmails servers, and you have no proof that they deleted anything

Of course there is ample proof. Set up a Hotmail account for yourself, send yourself an email from a questionable source (such as a black-listed IP address), and you'll see what happens. Very often, the email does not land in your Inbox or Spam box, but gets deleted by the email provider's 1st tier of filters. Whenever that happens, the users have no way of knowing that an email was sent to them.

VanHalenLover:
    And why is it that constructive suggestions are trolling in your book?

"Constructive suggestions" are always welcome, but misrepresenting another's posts and then dismantling them or professing outrage over them is textbook trolling. As illustrated in the 2 quoted examples in my previous post.

VanHalenLover:
    you might want to do a little info gathering on it here

That FAQ section is irrelevant for what is discussed here: the 1st, user-inaccessible level of spam filters employed by email providers. This may not be openly stated by email providers in their FAQs, but they will admit it if you dig deeper, if you contact their customer support, etc.

PS: Haha, VanHalenLover, that Library webpage confirms exactly what I'm saying! They don't deliver all of the incoming emails to their users, and in such cases, the users have no way of knowing that an email had been blocked!

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Wed, Apr 7 2010 11:33 PM

Hi fellas,

I'm going to put a lock on this thread now.  We will contact Turk via PM if necessary and we appreciate both of your efforts to try and resolve the situation for a fellow user.  If you wish to continue this lively debate I must ask that you please do so in private.

Thank You.

RSS