Forums

Help › Forums

can someone from wgt contact me please worst abuse ive ever seen

Wed, Apr 7 2010 11:33 PM (54 replies)
  • VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Wed, Apr 7 2010 7:30 PM

YankeeJim:
    I learned this after having the same problem. My wife's account, on a different ISP,  was getting the mail intended for me because I signed her up on the ISP that I actually exclusively use. 

YJ,

I'm not following this. The ISP should not matter, as you must enter a unique E-mail address when registering an account. The accounts should have two separate E-mail addresses, and each should get E-mails specific to that registered E-mail addy. My wife has an acct  too, and we do not have any issues with getting each others E-mails. Help me to understand!

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Wed, Apr 7 2010 7:35 PM

TT,

Are you using a mail client with your Hotmail addy configured within a client? If so, this might explain the loss of the E-mail, if it was PREVENTED from being downloaded from the servers due to a client level setting. The chances of it actually being deleted accidentally by Hotmail are virtually none.

If you access Hotmail directly thru the web, then you would have to check the settings there, but a filtered spam message would still show in your spam or deleted folder, unless you have it set to purposely delete them automatically, which is most likely what is happening to you.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Apr 7 2010 9:01 PM

What is there not to understand... Jim originally registered under his wife's email address, so WGT's emails were delivered to her and not to him.

Also, a regular computer user doesn't know what a "mail client" is. Most people just use webmail (unless forced to use Outlook by their employer at work). And, unfortunately, there are lots of webmail providers who delete alleged spam email without moving it to the Spam folder. I do recommend the move to Gmail because these irregularities happen less frequently there.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Wed, Apr 7 2010 9:24 PM

Faterson:

What is there not to understand... Jim originally registered under his wife's email address, so WGT's emails were delivered to her and not to him.

He didn't state that he registered under his wifes E-mail address, if that is the case, then that explains it, but he didn't state that. He, in fact stated that he signed HER up on his ISP, and that doesn't explain his issue. If they both have an account, the only thing that matters is a unique E-mail address for each of them. Most would put their own E-mail address under their own account, and there would be no issues with mis-delivered E-mails.

Also, a regular computer user doesn't know what a "mail client" is. Most people just use webmail (unless forced to use Outlook by their employer at work). And, unfortunately, there are lots of webmail providers who delete alleged spam email without moving it to the Spam folder. I do recommend the move to Gmail because these irregularities happen less frequently there.

I don't know if this person is a 'regular' computer user or a more advanced one, which is why I asked the question. It does no good to make assumptions and miss the potential solution based on those assumptions. While there are many settings in both web based mail and within E-mail clients that will redirect spam type mail according to those settings, I have never seen an ISP delete an suspect E-mail completely without a user defined setting giving it authorization to do so. They certainly do their best to identify spam E-mails and filter them accordingly, but they don't just delete them from the servers without being user-configured to do so. Many have a default option set to filter spam, and this is most likely where the issue is, but writing off that option and blaming the isp is very irresponsible and will not correct this users issue.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Wed, Apr 7 2010 9:35 PM

Here is an example of the hotmail settings which might be causing these lost E-mails. Definitely a user setting which can be changed and corrected.

The 'delete junk E-mail' setting is what I'd check first.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Apr 7 2010 9:55 PM

VanHalenLover:
    It does no good to make assumptions

No one was making any assumptions, but it's a good assumption that most people are regular, non-expert computer users, because that's the definition of the word regular.

VanHalenLover:
    I have never seen an ISP delete an suspect E-mail completely without a user defined setting giving it authorization to do so.

I have! That happens very often.

VanHalenLover:
    they don't just delete them from the servers without being user-configured to do so.

They do. Blissful naiveté!

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Wed, Apr 7 2010 10:05 PM

Faterson:

VanHalenLover:
    It does no good to make assumptions

No one was making any assumptions, but it's a good assumption that most people are regular, non-expert computer users, because that's the definition of the word regular.

Again, it was an assumption that the isp deleted the E-mail and that it could not be corrected by the user. Hopefully he or she is now on the right path.

Faterson:

VanHalenLover:
    I have never seen an ISP delete an suspect E-mail completely without a user defined setting giving it authorization to do so.

I have! That happens very often.

I'd like to see examples of it happening when it is NOT a user defined option, that is the key part that you are seemingly missing.

Faterson:

VanHalenLover:
    they don't just delete them from the servers without being user-configured to do so.

They do. Blissful naiveté!

Again, not unless it is a user defined setting. You are blaming the isp for something that is most likely an option that can be turned on or off. That isn't going to address this posters issue.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Apr 7 2010 10:16 PM

VanHalenLover:
    it was an assumption that the isp deleted the E-mail and that it could not be corrected by the user.

Not reliably corrected.

VanHalenLover:
    I'd like to see examples of it happening when it is NOT a user defined option

Set up and administer your own email server and you will get to see so many examples that your head will spin. Email providers very often use 2-tier filters, and they very often mistakenly reject the receipt of legitimate email on the first level, so that the email is deleted and the user is not notified in any way that the email was sent to them, and of course it's not located in the user's Spam folder either.

VanHalenLover:
    You are blaming the isp for something that is most likely an option that can be turned on or off.

No, it cannot.

Also, don't confuse "ISPs" (???) with email providers. The two terms are completely different and in the case of webmail such as Hotmail here, completely unrelated to one another.

("ISP" is most commonly understood as "Internet access provider", and when troubleshooting email mis-deliveries, it's dangerous to conflate the term with email providers, especially when it can happen that one's ISP, specifically their SMTP servers or simply their IP addresses, might be the reason that one's emails fail to get delivered, quite independently from what email addresses one may be sending emails to or from!)

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Wed, Apr 7 2010 10:38 PM

Faterson:

VanHalenLover:
    it was an assumption that the isp deleted the E-mail and that it could not be corrected by the user.

Not reliably corrected.

What are you talking about? I am stating that you irresponsibly blamed the isp without giving the user the option to check his or her own settings to see if the issue could be solved. Of course it isn't corrected yet, but I think giving the user all the right info is a good start.

Faterson:

VanHalenLover:
    I'd like to see examples of it happening when it is NOT a user defined option

Set up and administer your own email server and you will get to see so many examples that your head will spin. Email providers very often use 2-tier filters, and they very often mistakenly reject the receipt of legitimate email on the first level, so that the email is deleted and the user is not notified in any way that the email was sent to them, and of course it's not located in the user's Spam folder either.

If your own E-mail servers are deleting users Email without their permission, then this is your issue. This does not mean that G-mail or Hotmail follow the same protocol. Show examples that support this assertion of yours, and you'll have an argument. You can't though, because it doesn't happen unless a user setting allows it.

Faterson:

VanHalenLover:
    You are blaming the isp for something that is most likely an option that can be turned on or off.

No, it cannot.

Also, don't confuse "ISPs" (???) with email providers. The two terms are completely different and in the case of webmail such as Hotmail here, completely unrelated to one another.

Very aware of the difference, but I'm guessing that I have no where near the technical expertise that you hold, lol. Referring back to YJ's statement, that was where the ISP part of this conversation came up, and it has nothing to do with this persons missing E-mail scenario.

YJ = ISP question

TurkishTerror = Email configuration question

yup, I DO get it!

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Apr 7 2010 10:47 PM

VanHalenLover:
    you irresponsibly blamed the isp without giving the user the option to check his or her own settings

Only in your imagination. Are you trolling here? I explicitly advised the user to check his Hotmail settings, and then recommended the switch to Gmail, because even with optimal settings selected, emails often fail to get delivered, both to Inbox and Spam box.

VanHalenLover:
    If your own E-mail servers are deleting users Email without their permission, then this is your issue.

No, stop trolling at long last. I said very clearly it's the recipient servers that delete emails, not my servers!  

VanHalenLover:
    I'm guessing that I have no where near the technical expertise that you hold, lol.

You have amply displayed your naiveté in this area. If you've never heard of the 2‑tier filters used by most email providers (with the 1st level of filters being completely inaccessible to the mailbox holder and the mailbox's individual settings), then you have only yourself to blame.

RSS