Forums

Help › Forums

Profile photos/logos (copyright infringement?)

Wed, May 2 2012 2:43 AM (51 replies)
  • swannyxx
    303 Posts
    Sat, Apr 28 2012 10:20 AM

BOBTX61:

Hello, Frank.  Well "yes".....I have noticed here on WGT that there are many profile photos that use cartoons, drawings, photos of celebrities, etc.......but, I came across a VERY detailed website of an Attorney in Los Angeles, Calif. who specializes in "copyright" laws (including how they are involved on the Internet).  He states that, the rule of thumb is, if you do not have "written permission" to use a photo, image, etc., don't use it.  And that "copyright infringement:" IS "copyright infringement" regardles of one's "motive".  Even a new photo or image found on the Internet carries with it, copyright protection for 75 yrs.

It's about "doing the right thing".......but, this really doesn't seem important to people any longer. If I were the owners of WGT (and I know....I'm not)....I'd require members to either us an avatar OR a "real photo" of themselves. 

But, I realize, there are not WGT rules about the photo or image that  you can use for your Profile pic.  I was just trying to make a point, that's all. 

Bob will you let us all know if bugs bunny files a lawsuit?

• Topcat488
    172 Posts
    Sat, Apr 28 2012 10:26 AM

BOBTX61:

Hello, Frank.  Well "yes".....I have noticed here on WGT that there are many profile photos that use cartoons, drawings, photos of celebrities, etc.......but, I came across a VERY detailed website of an Attorney in Los Angeles, Calif. who specializes in "copyright" laws (including how they are involved on the Internet).  He states that, the rule of thumb is, if you do not have "written permission" to use a photo, image, etc., don't use it.  And that "copyright infringement:" IS "copyright infringement" regardles of one's "motive".  Even a new photo or image found on the Internet carries with it, copyright protection for 75 yrs.

It's about "doing the right thing".......but, this really doesn't seem important to people any longer. If I were the owners of WGT (and I know....I'm not)....I'd require members to either us an avatar OR a "real photo" of themselves. 

But, I realize, there are not WGT rules about the photo or image that  you can use for your Profile pic.  I was just trying to make a point, that's all. 

You should worry more about yourself and your game, and give the forum trolling a rest.

• BOBTX61
    311 Posts
    Sat, Apr 28 2012 10:57 AM

So......................What, YOU are now the "self appointed police officer" of the WGT Forum ?????  I'll POST here anytime I like.  IF you don't have anything "positive" to contribute concerning this "issue".................WHY are you even making a comment?

• DannyPhan
    1,013 Posts
    Sat, Apr 28 2012 11:31 AM

• Topcat488
    172 Posts
    Sat, Apr 28 2012 11:59 AM

BOBTX61:

So......................What, YOU are now the "self appointed police officer" of the WGT Forum ?????  I'll POST here anytime I like.  IF you don't have anything "positive" to contribute concerning this "issue".................WHY are you even making a comment?

I'm using Roger, from "American Dad"... And it resembles how i feel, after a hard days work... So i think i have a right too COMMENT on any stupid topic, in this forum... And the POSITIVE contribution that i added, was for you to work more on your own game, "especially the putting aspect.  Anything else!  

• mara43
    1,674 Posts
    Sat, Apr 28 2012 12:14 PM

BOBTX61:
    Are there any "legal" types out there on WGT who have knowledge of this issue?  I'm just curious.

I am using Andy Cap a very famous English (though I am Irish...but he has  alot of our characteristics.....!!!!) cartoon character for my avatar.

I am a Lawyer (20+ yrs) & it doesn't matter a hoote what you use so long as you are not using it for financial gain etc...once there is no loss to the copyright owner it really doesn't matter.  Anyhow practical & economic sense would prevail here i.e. I don't think the copyright owner is going to loose much sleep over it or waste a cent in taking an action.

Unfortunately, you wasted a lot time & words with your postings......

• BOBTX61
    311 Posts
    Sat, Apr 28 2012 2:00 PM

OK............right.  It took you OVER 18 mos. to make it to the "Legend Tier"......Congrats to you on that.  But, I have ONLY been a WGT member now for (131 days!).....and now at  the "Master Tier".....I think I'm progressing pretty rapidly...and doing pretty well in all areas....it just takes a lot of practice & ranked rounds!  I feel pretty confident I will make "Legend" by mid-Summer.

I think that attorney in Los Angeles may disagree with you on "copyright infringements"......it's his specialty.  Like he stated....."copyright infringement is "copyright infringement....regardless of the motive.  I realize copyright owners don't have the time or initiative to totally protect their rights......it's just about doing "the right thing".....of all people, you should understand that.

Here is one of my favorite quotes:   "Always do right.  This will gratify some people and astonish the rest".  ~Mark Twain~

Bob

• stevereilly
    5,910 Posts
    Sat, Apr 28 2012 4:44 PM

If I recall correctly, WGTicon uses a character from "SouthPark" as his profile photo.

Personally, I use my favourite soccer teams logo.

I think I'll wait till Icon gets taken to court before I change.

• TWOMINUSONE
    2,580 Posts
    Sat, Apr 28 2012 5:24 PM

i dont know, but i have to ask the question. is that you bob in your profile pic? maybe it is, and im wrong. if it is, then fair play to you.  regarding the question, if i put my picture on the net, and somebody uses it for a website (non dodgy and such) can i then go and sue them, and recieve as much compensation as the famous would? maybe not. its a case of whoever wants more from the system, and is greedy enough to go and get it in my opinion. 

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Sat, Apr 28 2012 6:36 PM

"I" don't really "care" if my "photo" is "copyrighted." If it's against the "law" they can "come after me" and I will change "it" ... I really "doubt they care;" but that's just "me."

If you know what I "mean."

RSS