Forums

Help › Forums

Now Dont Get Me Wrong..............

Wed, Aug 22 2012 6:11 AM (48 replies)
  • GarryEdkins
    49 Posts
    Mon, Jul 23 2012 6:25 AM

.................................i really like this game, especially as i'm not brilliant at it because that makes it more exciting(i think) but, a lot of the shots dont make sense.

For example...I'm in the middle of the fairway ready to play my 2nd shot on a par5, the wind is blowing 10mph from left to right so i aim just inside the rough to the left, i then hit a "perfect shot" bang on the line yet i end up about 5 yards into the rough on the left hand side, almost as though the wind was actually coming from the opposite side???

And another....I'm in the rough(20-25%) just off the green, i have 20 yards to go and its uphill, i hit a full power shot with a maximum distance of 20 yards and somehow the ball travels 26 yards???

Last one, i have a 15 foot putt uphill(i inch) and i hit just shy of 15 foot on the power meter, how then can my ball travel 17 or 18 feet???

I'm not moaning because i think the game's too hard, as i said, i prefer not being too great at it because once i find i'm going round with sub 60 scores i'd find the game boring and will probably stop playing, i just think its a bit much for these kinds of things to be happening(especially so often) when we are paying for the privilege of playing your game.

• chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Mon, Jul 23 2012 6:50 AM

Welcome to WGT, some shots the wind doesn't seem to effect a shot, especially if you aim over rough, thats the game for you, no 2 shots are the same, and rough might make you come up 10 yards short 1 round, but will not effect the shot in another, its what keeps the game real and exciting as we dont know how any shot will react (just like real golf)

As for the putt, some of the elevation is not quite exactly as whats shown, you just need to learn the greens, and as you are a master you probably are using very fast or tournament greens, so if thats the case, a 15 foot putt would go way past the 15 power you gave, on tournament greens i will use 12 foot of power for 15 foot putt

• cycle1979
    1,555 Posts
    Mon, Jul 23 2012 6:56 AM

This game is more consistent than you think and even Chris will attest to.  He tends to point out the small variations from time to time on these forums also but we've come to accept that from him.  How else could players score in the low to mid 50's????  I do admit that some holes play different than others but they are consistently different and with practice you can figure it out.  My inconsistency lies on my meter....  I honestly believe if I could ding my meter 100% I could shoot with the big dogs...  with my meter struggles I tend to fall a stroke or 2 short but I can live with it and not blame WGT for it.

Good luck and enjoy!

PS.. Chris is exactly right with the putting.  The reason for your putt traveling further is most likely due to the green speed.  Once you learn how to putt correctly and the green speeds you can easily 2 putt every hole and start sinking those first putts....

• GarryEdkins
    49 Posts
    Mon, Jul 23 2012 9:06 AM

I dont agree that it keeps the game "real" and "exciting", its just a few more reasons not to play the game, which is why i stopped playing 2 years ago and have recently been reminded why.

Your practically saying that if i see a shot distance of 230yds then i should not be suprised if it is in fact 320 yards, it either is or it is'nt and if it is'nt then that makes what could have been a fantastic game mundane.

Again, i have just hit a perfect shot from a bunker that went just 1 yard,(hit about 15)seriously that is poor game design and should be put right!

The fact that  a lot of par 4's cannot be reached in two shots is a farce and the putting grids are not much better.

Funny how i can hit 99% of fairways with a Driver(something even the very real Tiger Woods cannot achieve) but can 3 putt from 6 feet because the putting info is often all wrong.

Sorry but thats just how it is.

• cycle1979
    1,555 Posts
    Mon, Jul 23 2012 9:41 AM

How do you explain players shooting in the 50's?  If there is so much inconsistency that would be impossible....  

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, Jul 23 2012 9:53 AM

GarryEdkins:
    but can 3 putt from 6 feet because the putting info is often all wrong.

So if the ball goes in the hole, you read the putt right, but if it doesn't go in, the game is inconsistent?

• sportsrockplayer
    306 Posts
    Mon, Jul 23 2012 10:08 AM

..........................................................................................

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jul 23 2012 10:09 AM

cycle1979:

How do you explain players shooting in the 50's?  If there is so much inconsistency that would be impossible....  

Taken by the number of posts about inconsistencies you would think that would be hard. What goes unseen is the inconsistency a better player might see but knows how to deal with the result.

How do you determine the difference between deviation affected shots and inconsistency?

• cycle1979
    1,555 Posts
    Mon, Jul 23 2012 10:32 AM

I guess the question is how much do these "deviations" actually affect your shot?  In my opinion... not very much or shooting in the low 50's would not be possible.

I think players expect every hole to respond the same and I will agree... they don't.  Therefore the holes are inconsistent compared to each other, but.. if you play them enough times a good player can adapt to these inconsistencies.

• GarryEdkins
    49 Posts
    Mon, Jul 23 2012 11:13 AM

Off the top of my head, i would guess its to do with the "better" players having purchased better clubs, which means to WGT its all about the money.

Fair enough i suppose, but it reminds me a bit of Pokerstars, they try to clear each table asap as its more turnover, this is why you get dealt so many good hands, in the case of WGT they make sure the game is hard unless you spend big money on the items that make it easy.

Just saying...

RSS