Forums

Help › Forums

How the new average is computed for legend

Mon, Nov 5 2012 5:45 PM (114 replies)
  • JFHuber
    435 Posts
    Mon, Aug 6 2012 7:14 AM

Not a forum reader usually but went to this link to get info on the new average calculation.  Thank you Genrob for a great explanation, if you had seen the response I got from WGT directly we would all be laughing. As far as the "integrity" of players averages, there is a simple solution that is practiced in the real golf world.  Wgt needs to create slope ratings for the course/tee/green setups to be used to determine a fair estimation of the resultant score of a players round for average purposes.   This is pretty much the accepted practice for determining your real golf handicap.  Certainly something along these lines could be developed by WGT. 

• genorb
    1,255 Posts
    Mon, Aug 6 2012 8:16 AM

Kriztjan:

Sorry Genorb, but this got personal.

I understand Kriztjan. I found all this very unpleasant also.

Regards

• genorb
    1,255 Posts
    Mon, Aug 6 2012 8:18 AM

chrisironsbones:

"good Effort Fabian any way"

You cant win, you dont bring your average down you get called a sandbagger, bring it down to quickly and your a "show pony"..LOL we'll have to find a new word for opposite to sandbagger..LOLOL

Thanks Chris, I agree with what you wrote above. And whatever you are doing, there is always someone to tell you that it's wrong :) .

Regards

• genorb
    1,255 Posts
    Mon, Aug 6 2012 8:26 AM

JFHuber:

Thank you Genorb for a great explanation.

You are welcome JF.

JFHuber:

Wgt needs to create slope ratings for the course/tee/green setups to be used to determine a fair estimation of the resultant score of a players round for average purposes.

That would be a great thing I think. Average would move more or less depending on how hard/easy was the round and on the score posted. Indeed, you can sometime win a ready-go at Oakmont with a 59-60 (even with low/moderate wind), while you will be far from the top of the leaderboard with the same score and same setup at Cabo (which is a par 72 while Oakmont is a par 70).

WGT needs to introduce this kind of procedure to compute averages (at least if one wants that this number means something and not that it is used only to promote player to higher tier).

Regards

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Mon, Aug 6 2012 8:50 AM

Hey folks,

let's all be nice and not take this personally or single out players.

-wgticon

• jvr86
    799 Posts
    Mon, Aug 6 2012 9:45 AM

overtheedge:
    Keep us informed jvr. Just curious,,,

Lol...sorry about that, I forgot to click on the "Email me replies to this post." button...

and yes, Up yo now I have 16 rounds and average went up and down as predicted. 

Legend Royal St Georges Front 9 Ready Go 29 58 57.79 *
    August NKF Cadillac Golf Classi 58 58 57.79
    Cabo del Sol Back 9 Ready G 29 58 57.79
    St Andrews Back 9 Ready G 31 62 57.80
    Bethpage Back 9 Ready G 28 56 57.80
    Legend Whistler Front 9 Ready G 30 60 57.80
    Player of the Month August Decc Week # 60 60 57.81
    WGT Kiawah Championship 63 63 57.82
    Legend St Andrews Full 18 Ready G 62 62 57.83
    Legend Kiawah Front 9 Ready Go 31 62 57.84
    Legend Cabo del Sol Full 18 Ready G 58 58 57.84
    Cabo del Sol Front 9 Ready G 28 56 57.84
    Whistler Back 9 Ready G 31 62 57.85
    St Andrews Full 18 Ready G 56 56 57.85
    Legend Kiawah Front 9 Ready G 28 56 57.84
    Legend Oakmont Back 9 Ready G 27 54 57.83
    Legend Congressional Full 18 Ready G 58 58

57.83**

* Last round and average, before the update

** Current average after 16 rounds and at the time of this post.

• genorb
    1,255 Posts
    Mon, Aug 6 2012 9:49 AM

jvr86:

overtheedge:
    Keep us informed jvr. Just curious,,,

and yes, Up yo now I have 16 rounds and average went up and down as predicted. 

Great Javier. I have played 9 rounds so far since the last update and for me too it works as expected. So I guess we figured out how it works. Well until we move to Tour legend where I guess the average will be reset and where perhaps there is no saturation. Anyway if there is a saturation, I guess it will be after 1000 rounds or something like that (which should take me 1 year or so to play :) ).

Regards

• TonyTurbo78
    340 Posts
    Mon, Aug 6 2012 9:54 AM

Thanks Genorb, really appreciate the info on this.  

I might be able to help you with the ranked rounds under 400 for legend.  I was a 59.18 average at the start of this month with around 300 ranked rounds under my belt.  I've played maybe 10 ranked games since and dropped my average to around 58.92.  I don't tend to play many ranked games, just the odd RG every day but if I can help when I hit 400 i'll be more than happy to divulge any info.  Alot of time is spent playing practice rounds with my family and alt shots with my guild members so it might take me a while lol.  

Kind Regards

Tony

• jvr86
    799 Posts
    Mon, Aug 6 2012 9:55 AM

genorb:
    Well until we move to Tour legend where I guess the average will be reset and where perhaps there is no saturation. Anyway if there is a saturation, I guess it will be after 1000 rounds or something like that (which should take me 1 year or so to play :) ).

yeah, too bad lol, I worked too had to be in your legend list... and last month finally I was close #100-130 with a 57,79... not inside top 100 but I was a month close...

Good thing is that all average will reset so I guess it will be a very acurate top 100 :)

cheers.

• genorb
    1,255 Posts
    Mon, Aug 6 2012 10:27 AM

TonyTurbo78:

I might be able to help you with the ranked rounds under 400 for legend.

That would be nice indeed to see if your average will saturate after 400 rounds or if you will need 500 rounds now.

It's easy to see if your average saturate or not and to know at which rounds it happens. When you will have played 401 rounds (repeat it up to 405 or the like to be sure), compute your average as a normal average (don't forget to convert 9-holes score into 18-holes score by multiplying them by 2. You can already do the test now if you haven't yet done it). If your average is computed with your best 400 rounds, you will notice a difference between the normal average you computed and the displayed average. If there is no difference, then follow your average evolution (you compute and compare to the one displayed) up to 501 rounds. You should then notice a difference.

Please let us know, even if it takes a long time :) . There is no hurry :) .

Regards

RSS