Forums

Help › Forums

The one thing missing from the last update

Mon, Aug 27 2012 9:27 PM (62 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Aug 24 2012 1:47 PM

srellim234:
    Leave the clubs as they are now, all with the same attributes and levels. Just reduce the distance by something like 5% per tier.

This still dies with the real life argument. How about just using the tees as the benchmark. You can only hit drivers that correspond to the tier tee you're on. Don't have the right driver?-go buy one that works on that tee or use the free one, your bazooka will be ready for you when you play off the back tees.  

This still dies in the face of the reality argument but you could call it a course/WGT rule, something like that. Instead of tier restrictions, have tee restrictions even to the point of saying you have the bazooka, you hit from the tips. That, alone, would probably put a dent in the sandbagging for credits.

• Fredddddy
    177 Posts
    Fri, Aug 24 2012 1:53 PM

Just do one thing if you own the best clubs then play from the back tees its very simple,players would still purchase items and it really would eliminate so called baggers.

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Fri, Aug 24 2012 3:59 PM

YJ- The 5% rule doesn't really fly in the face of reality all that much. In real life anyone can swing a driver that a PGA Tour player plays. From any tee. In reality an amateur or lower level pro player is not going to hit that club nearly as far as a PGA player.

Yes, there are the few rare amateurs that can win long drive contests but they are incredibly few and far between. The same applies to the PGA players vs amateurs with iron play, too. The average PGA player is going to be hitting his 7 iron as far as the lower level golfer hits a 6, 5 or 4 iron.

In the 5% scenario I would probably just leave the putters the way they are now.

Restricting drivers to specific tees will hurt the revenue stream from equipment sales unless WGT at the same time employs the programming of using master conditions for a master playing from the tips, pro conditions for the pros, etc.  I'm certainly not buying anything that is going to force me to play legend conditions to use it. I'm not that good of a player.

The product description WGT would have to put on restricted drivers might just scare people away from buying it, too. Looking in the pro shop at a driver description that says "After you spend the money for this you will only be allowed to use it when you tee off from the next county" would be pretty intimidating. :)

• FamousBeef
    271 Posts
    Fri, Aug 24 2012 4:19 PM

tiered up too fast? ridiculous

tiering up too slow and on purpose is the real problem here.

level 94 "tour pros" and similar hitting legend gear from baby tees is an insult to those who tier and level legitimately.

don't tell me that a 90 "pro" hitting the R11S or an 81 G20 doesn't have a clear advantage over a true wgt pro in the lvl 40-50 range. Especially in Match Play, for credits or glory.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Aug 24 2012 5:00 PM

srellim234:

YJ- The 5% rule doesn't really fly in the face of reality all that much. In real life anyone can swing a driver that a PGA Tour player plays. From any tee. In reality an amateur or lower level pro player is not going to hit that club nearly as far as a PGA player.

Yes, there are the few rare amateurs that can win long drive contests but they are incredibly few and far between. The same applies to the PGA players vs amateurs with iron play, too. The average PGA player is going to be hitting his 7 iron as far as the lower level golfer hits a 6, 5 or 4 iron.

Good point. I get it and like the idea.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Fri, Aug 24 2012 6:11 PM

srellim234:
    Leave the clubs as they are now, all with the same attributes and levels. Just reduce the distance by something like 5% per tier. For example, Tour Legends and Legends get full distance; they've earned it. Tour Masters only get 95% of the distance on clubs. Masters get 90%. Tour Pro 85%. Pro 80%. And so on down the line.

The %'s won't make much a difference, given the tee differences...lower levels still hit wedges, upper levels hit from iron sets.

I've eliminated this tho, I just play MPC with friends...occaisoanlly I'll have a few and try to get into a random skins game, but most of the time..friends only.

I like equal ground, but in my opinion, it will never be met.

Now if every one who plays would read these forums and do a few basic things...sandbaggers would have no one else to play with but themselves.

Maybe if WGT would post a big azz headline for anyone signing up...or for anyone who clicks on MP/Skins..for credits that reads:

IT IS BEST ADVISED THAT YOU DO NOT PLAY FOR CREDITS AGAINST A PLAYER UNLESS HE/SHE IS WITHIN A FEW LEVELS OF YOURSELF AND USING SIMILAR EQUIPMENT

Kinda like the sign at BPB reading "only experienced players"

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Fri, Aug 24 2012 6:41 PM

MB- It would make a huge difference. For example, currently a Pro has access to the Pro 9.5 degree driver rated at 245 yards. Using the 5% formula that same Pro using a level 94 R11S driver will only be hitting it 227.2 yards (284 x 80%). That 20% of reduction across the board really removes a lot of the incentive to stay at a lower tier just for the better equipment. Not all sandbaggers will quit doing it but a lot of them will.

People who are progressing slowly, like myself, will still be buying the better equipment as we level up to it. We will be looking at the extra 5% we'll be rewarded for tiering up as an incentive to keep moving up.

I'm on board with you about playing strangers, though. I just don't do it.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Aug 24 2012 8:13 PM

Timbo1984:

I think it's perhaps time to admit that the "level" system is not working, it has been figured out and abused. As the above reflects...Openly abused.

I think the way the system is set up at the moment, it's allowing people to abuse the game.

I agree we should go back to the Tier system to unlock clubs. This might stop people from abusing the system.  

This is a game, the best golf game online, we shouldn't compare it to real golf, in relation to getting clubs.

With the introduction of Level boosts and Drinks to speed up our progress, it's easier for people to quickly move thru the levels in a short time to get the really good clubs.

In my day, when I first started, It took me a lifetime to get promoted (well just about...lol). Now it can take just a few months to get to the top tiers, with the good clubs we have now.

I don't mind L90 Pro's or Am's as long as they don't abuse the system to rip us all off.

Now saying  that.... the system is made for them to rip us all off....lol and good luck to em :)

Big Tick from me to go back to the Tier Based unlocking of clubs.

-Roger

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Fri, Aug 24 2012 11:02 PM

JaLaBar:

I just ask one simple thing.  Limit the length of drivers by tier.  Dun' care about the other stats, dun' care about the other clubs.  Just limit the length of drivers by tier.  If you are Hack, the most you can get out of any driver is 230.  Amateur 240, at Pro 250, at TP 265, Master 270 and TM 275.  At Legend you get the full value of whatever driver you are qualified for, but prior to Legend, all drivers have a governor on them.

One question for you, WHY?  My Nickle.

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Fri, Aug 24 2012 11:05 PM

srellim234:

I have proposed that equipment availability be based on a combination of level AND tier. While that works at other sites, what might work better here is an idea that still allows everyone access to all the brands and clubs.

Leave the clubs as they are now, all with the same attributes and levels. Just reduce the distance by something like 5% per tier. For example, Tour Legends and Legends get full distance; they've earned it. Tour Masters only get 95% of the distance on clubs. Masters get 90%. Tour Pro 85%. Pro 80%. And so on down the line.

When a person tiers up they would see the distance boosted by the 5% on their clubs. I realize that this would throw more of a learning curve on the player but WGT would still sell just as much equipment, players would get to play with the clubs they want and the high level/low tier players would not have as much of an unfair advantage.

One question, WHY? restrict a clubs ability?  My Nickle.

RSS