Help › Forums

PRACTICE CHAMPIONSHIP SPEED GREENS PLEASE

rated by 0 users
Fri, Dec 28 2012 12:45 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • GRAYDONAL
    29 Posts
    Fri, Dec 28 2012 6:55 AM

Oh no you can't bud. I just checked...........no champ speed on Kia greens!

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Fri, Dec 28 2012 7:33 AM

What you need is a friendly Tour Legend in your club. In fact everybody does.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Dec 28 2012 8:22 AM

GRAYDONAL:

Oh no you can't bud. I just checked...........no champ speed on Kia greens!

You're right, Gray. Championship tees weren't always available for a long time so that might be causing some confusion as they are now. I totally agree with you on the practice thing but there's another way to look at it-it gives TLs an advantage of sorts. Since there's no difference between Legend and TL tees like there is with other tiers, the advantage of knowing those Champion speeds does give them some advantage, which they should have.  Heh, all they need is some sandbagging TM or Master with the same equipment knowing those approaches and putts like the back of their hand.  ;-)

• jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Fri, Dec 28 2012 8:57 AM

YankeeJim:
    the advantage of knowing those Champion speeds does give them some advantage

I'm not sure that there's much more than a mental advantage, YJ. .

I'm too lazy to look up the numbers, but we know that Tournament greens have a range ... like 11-12 feet on the stimp meter, with TM's getting the slightly lower tourney speed & Legends slightly faster. I tend to think that Champ greens also run in a similar range.

When I play a round WITH a TL, I don't make any real adjustment for "champ" greens ... they just don't seem to be much faster than normal. (I felt the same thing as a TM playing v. Legends).

It could just be in my mind, but champ greens in tournaments ( solo rounds) definitely seem faster than they are during mixed-tier rounds.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Dec 28 2012 10:21 AM

jeffdos924:
      I'm too lazy to look up the numbers, but we know that Tournament greens have a range ... like 11-12 feet on the stimp meter, with TM's getting the slightly lower tourney speed & Legends slightly faster. I tend to think that Champ greens also run in a similar range.

Exactly. Champion is 13 on the scale, I presume.The difference isn't that much but unless you play regularly on them you have to figure it out on the fly. I tell TMs that putt on Legend greens to putt like a TM uphill and putt paranoid downhill. The same applies to L/TL. For me with the avatar moves it's simply a canceling of the move as the difference but you know you have to really be conscious of those downhillers. Putt like a Legend downhill and you get a lip out or a 6 foot return, or worse.  :-)

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Dec 28 2012 12:45 PM

Champ Speed in Multi Games are slower than they are in Single Comps.

My CC's members and other friends haven't had too much problems with them (not sure if  that's good or bad....lol) .

As Jim said....  You have to be really really careful with the big downhillers. Just have to tap em and sometimes not even that for the ball to go wizzing past the hole.  Uphill putts are not bad, treat them as normal (within reason).

-Roger

• PAGES
RSS