Forums

Help › Forums

Lance Armstrong

Tue, Jul 9 2013 4:10 AM (52 replies)
  • JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Thu, Jan 17 2013 7:01 PM

Let me start by saying I have pretty much always disliked Lance.  Right after he recovered from cancer, I didn't dislike him.  I thought his story was inspired.  But, I have always thought he, as well as the rest of the riders in the Tour de France, used PED and doped.  And his attitude about it, his defiance and complete assholishness made me despise the man.

Having said that, the interview with Oprah Winfrey has been compelling.  He seems sincere and contrite, though I do not think contrition comes very easily to him.  And I am learning something about myself.  It makes me angry that he's wealthy.  I want him sued until his financial situation is the same as mine.

• Dougie4042
    4,410 Posts
    Thu, Jan 17 2013 7:07 PM

When I found out he was doing the Oprah interview, I developed that scrunched up look on my face...LOL.

• JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Thu, Jan 17 2013 7:29 PM

I always kinda considered it an insult to my intelligence that he expected us to believe, at a time when performance enhancing techniques were obviously running rampant in cycling, that the one clean guy in the world just keeps beating these cheaters over and over.  Just too good to be true.  That's why I never believed him.  Common sense.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Thu, Jan 17 2013 7:46 PM

He didn't just blood dope and take drugs, he ran the whole supply network on the tour.

Total scumbag.

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Thu, Jan 17 2013 7:51 PM

I can count as many high profile athletes that have used steroids as I have fingers & toes.

Every one of them will deny the hell outta juiceing it up; Until they get their azz pinned to the wall with concrete evidence or hauled into a grand jury they STILL won't admit it lol.

Remember Tiger Woods in 2000?  Tiger looked like the bionic man didn't he. A golfing mussle bound hulk. Was he juicin it?

I'm not sour grapes over their fortunes or awards, they are the ones that have to look in the mirror in the morning. Or have an asterisk next to their name in the record books

• pjctas0822
    4,591 Posts
    Thu, Jan 17 2013 7:59 PM

From my experience in life and dealing with some Athletes....The question remains  (once they get older and or injured or sickness) Either do the roids and stay in the sport and make millions or dont and make nothing. What would you do ?

Tough situation either way you look at it. He has done alot of positive things also let us not forget.

• frappefort
    3,994 Posts
    Thu, Jan 17 2013 8:00 PM

BubbaCrusher007:

I can count as many high profile athletes that have used steroids as I have fingers & toes.

Every one of them will deny the hell outta juiceing it up; Until they get their azz pinned to the wall with concrete evidence or hauled into a grand jury they STILL won't admit it lol.

Remember Tiger Woods in 2000?  Tiger looked like the bionic man didn't he. A golfing mussle bound hulk. Was he juicin it?

I'm not sour grapes over their fortunes or awards, they are the ones that have to look in the mirror in the morning. Or have an asterisk next to their name in the record books

using your post here ,Bubba,to say what is the worst ,many kids  ,  wanted to be like  them ...........rich ,and good ,gold medal winners and all .its to bad  win at all cost ,is part or the sport world now ......    

• JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Thu, Jan 17 2013 8:38 PM

PJ - My problem isn't that Lance doped.  Don't get me wrong, it's cheating and it's wrong.  But I honest believe that not only did Lance think he was just leveling the playing field since pretty much everyone was doping, but that HE REALLY WAS leveling the playing field.

If someone told me I could take a pill that would allow me to make 50 times what I now make, I'd take the pill.

My problem with Lance is the way he brutally and ruthlessly trampled everyone that got in his way, even when they were telling the truth.  It didn't matter if they had been friends, associates, etc.  If they stood to in any way impede Lance's progress toward another Yellow Jersey, he squashed them under heel.

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Thu, Jan 17 2013 8:42 PM

Athletes are grossly over paid, over rated, and get way too much publicity. That is why you can't afford to take a family to a football or baseball game anymore. They are like actors, they do a job, work a hell of lot less days per year than the average person, and live in mansions with all the bling cars. Most of the time they are the only ones who know what they are saying because they are so damn stupid, they can't even talk right. To make that kind of money is ludicrous. Granted some are well educated and clean, not many though. I know a lot of professional boxers who couldn't fill out a credit application, but then they don't have to. Sooner or later the majority are broke and working as a night watchman someplace. No disrespect to night watchmen. You can probably speak, understandable English and know how to fill out the basic paperwork. Athletes are what their agents and the public have made them. Total overpaid idiots. Golfers aside.

• pjctas0822
    4,591 Posts
    Thu, Jan 17 2013 9:05 PM

Ren money doesnt make you a better person. Money is the root to all evil and thats true in many ways. Im not defending Lance Im just saying he is human and made the obvious choice but being an Ahole towards his fellow human is defintely sucky for him and the sport.

WGT should add Dope to the Pro Shop for the Multi accounters LOLLOL.

RSS