Help › Forums

Lance Armstrong

Tue, Jul 9 2013 4:10 AM (52 replies)
  • JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Thu, Jan 17 2013 10:14 PM

renniw52:
    Total overpaid idiots. Golfers aside.

LOL... Golfers are probably THE MOST OVERPAID of all athletes.  Maybe the least 'idiots' though.

There is approximately 3.5 minutes of real action in an average NFL game.  It takes 60 minutes on the clock to run those 3.5-4.0 minutes worth of action, and during that 60 minutes on the clock, 3 hours will pass.  Now, as the offense is usually on the field for no more than 50-60% of the real time in a game at max (and then, the other offense is at 40-50%).  That means that in an average NFL game, a QB is in the game for perhaps 2 minutes of real action.  Teams play 16 regular season games a year, so for approximately 35-45 minutes worth of game a year, an top notch NFL QB like Peyton Manning or Tom Brady makes $15, 000, 000.

• IvaThongon
    933 Posts
    Thu, Jan 17 2013 10:23 PM

I think this commentary says just about everything I feel about Lance.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/20130117/lance-armstrong/index.html

• Dougie4042
    4,410 Posts
    Thu, Jan 17 2013 10:56 PM

JaLaBar:
    My problem with Lance is the way he brutally and ruthlessly trampled everyone that got in his way, even when they were telling the truth.  It didn't matter if they had been friends, associates, etc.  If they stood to in any way impede Lance's progress toward another Yellow Jersey, he squashed them under heel.

Very true.  Being a bully is no good.

• Timbo1984
    818 Posts
    Thu, Jan 17 2013 10:58 PM

I have been watching the Tour for as long as I can remember, and have since I first saw Lance, and discovered his background which included his battle with cancer. I found his story of how he rebounded and become one of the greatest sporting hero's in the world, purely inspirational.

As my family has been riddled with the plight of cancer, I have found it apt to donated each year to his foundation, considering what he was doing as a candle standing strong against the barrage of the winds of cancer.

When they first came out with the allegations of doping and he was so aggressive in his denials, I took it upon myself to defend him too, whenever the discussion cropped up around the Sunday lunch family table. 

When it finally came out that he was guilty of all the unsavory allegations that were leveled against him, it left a very bad taste in my mouth, not only was he a fraud, but he made me feel like a idiot for defending him with such vigor.

His foundation is still world class, and the people working there are helping countless souls through dark and helpless times, and I wish to continue supporting them and the people they constantly aid.

Some of the people who are keen on their cricket in here might remember a South African Cricketer and Protea's captain named Hansie Cronje, I won't elaborate on what he did and the sad and unexpected ending he met, as you can discover that for yourselves if you so wish. But I have placed Lance in the same box as I did Hansie all those years ago. 

He made me feel like a fool for defending him, he made me feel like a fool for delighting in his apparent mastery and talent. His "Interview" with Oprah was distasteful in my eyes, as it seemed like a plea for forgiveness where his actions warrant that there is no forgiveness worthy of being given. I've heard people suggesting "forgive and forget" which would denote that we should remember him for all the great and good things he did. As far as I'm concerned it does not work like that, All his good has been cancelled out by all his deceit and wrong doing. He is now just a man, with a clean slate, both good and bad have cancelled themselves out for me, and he is forgotten. His new life starts now, and he needs to build himself back from the ground up with whatever path he chooses to now lead.

But for me, he is now no different than the man I see sitting at a bus stop which I glance at and forget immediately, because who is that man? I don't know him...And as such...Who is Lance Armstrong? I don't know him.

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Thu, Jan 17 2013 11:55 PM

So when they knock Armstrong off the top of the leaderboard of all those competitions he won by cheating, how far down the leaderboard will they have to go before they find someone who was not cheating?

The whole business is sick.

Maybe I just don't understand the mentality of a cheater. Consider a game like WGT. If somebody won tournaments by, for example, using a device to artificially ding the ball, how could they possibly enjoy such a bogus achievement?

• craigswan
    31,571 Posts
    Fri, Jan 18 2013 12:03 AM

Mr armstrong,s  era co-insided with the whole of the eastern block of europe taking drugs to win olympic gold after gold . Even their women bulked up to look like men .

• saltiresfan
    2,266 Posts
    Fri, Jan 18 2013 4:09 AM

Credit to Oprah for the interview though; she went for the tough questions. Significant that LA didn't answer the question about Betsy Andreu and the hospital room and claimed not to have doped after 2005. On advice of lawyers?

If anyone hasn't read David Walsh's book on Armstrong, published last month, get hold of a copy. Details the whole sordid cover-up, bullying, lies etc. Or you could take the free option and just read the USADA reasoned decision. :p

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Fri, Jan 18 2013 11:13 AM

Edit; answer to deleted thread

• YancyCan
    3,027 Posts
    Fri, Jan 18 2013 11:58 AM

I firmly state that I (Yancy) aint done never used any performance enhancing drug or any intoxicant while playing up here on the WGT.

Cereal.

Signed, My name is Yancy

• saltiresfan
    2,266 Posts
    Fri, Jan 18 2013 12:05 PM

Possibly performance dehancing?

RSS