Forums

Help › Forums

Where Are The Top 25 Legends of Sept. 2011 Now?

Wed, Feb 27 2013 10:41 PM (20 replies)
  • andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sun, Feb 24 2013 8:44 AM

All the discussion about established players playing less these days or top players leaving the game for one reason or another (including life getting in the way, burnout, loss of gift cards...) made me wonder "Just how bad is it?".

I took some time today and did some research.  I used genorb's list of the top 100 players on Sept. 30, 2011, nearly a year and a half ago and to keep the amount of work to a reasonable level selected the top 25 Legends only.

I then went to the profile of each of the Top 25 players and collected a few stats.  The data is posted in the picture below.  Click the image for the larger, senior view of the data.

Scores posted includes ranked rounds, blitz scores, CTTHs.  Whatever gets recorded in our score history.  Just an indication they are active and how active.  I did not check if they were playing Alt Shots or Match plays, just too much work.

Would be interesting to hear comments from any of these players as to what's going on.

Here's a summary of the data.  Note I excluded LTDmin from this summary as he was already inactive on 9/30/11.

21% are totally inactive at this time (5 of the 24) Only 1 of the 5 stuck around long enough to make Tour Legend.

25% are barely active, semi-retired, playing on average less than once per day, less than 55 scores posted this year. (6 of 24)

29% are active.  Playing on average 1 to 3 times per day.  But no doubt playing much less than they played per day back in 2011. (7 of 24)

25% are still very active.  Playing on average about 4 times per day, logging 200+ rounds this year. (6 of 24)

In other words, about half are no longer regularly playing, another quarter playing at a very reduced rate, and the remaining quarter are still grinding out scores.

9 of the 19 top players who have played this year have higher averages than they did in Sept. 2011. 

Of the 13 semi-retired and active players, where their complete 2013 scores are available, 9 are averaging less scores/day in February than in January.

• opyeuclid
    6,709 Posts
    Sun, Feb 24 2013 8:55 AM

Nice work Andy .

OPY

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Sun, Feb 24 2013 9:16 AM

Again, WELL DONE Andy. WGT are you paying attention? As far as my status on WGT, I am just one of the bottom feeders, my play time is totally irrelevant to the management. Maybe the money I have been spending (except for gifting) is not so irrelevant. I would easily spend $200.00 or more per month, and start playing 10-12 games each day, if I was certain that my shots would turn out as I played them. coming up the ranks, I made some amazing shots, after calculating all the variables. Seems these just don't happen with any regularity any more. So why invest in myself? Again, I am just one of the bottom feeders of WGT. Super job Andy.

• opyeuclid
    6,709 Posts
    Sun, Feb 24 2013 10:28 AM

I have a stupid question .  If they " Top Players"  Play only on the Ladders site , will the scores still show up here ?

OPY    Fellow bottom feeder

• pdxdriver
    2,628 Posts
    Sun, Feb 24 2013 11:23 AM

It might be a sign that the top players are leaving,but don't knock it,it gives others a chance to win some credits for once lol.

just saying.

• PUHOLINO
    1,189 Posts
    Sun, Feb 24 2013 12:14 PM

opyeuclid:
    If they " Top Players"  Play only on the Ladders site , will the scores still show up here ?

Yes.

• PUHOLINO
    1,189 Posts
    Sun, Feb 24 2013 12:22 PM

andyson:
    All the discussion about established players playing less these days or top players leaving the game for one reason or another (including life getting in the way, burnout, loss of gift cards...) made me wonder "Just how bad is it?".

The numbers you posted could be a little worrying. However, as long as people like you don't leave, this game still has a future (just my humble opinion).

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sun, Feb 24 2013 12:41 PM

Astonishing work Andyson and I concur - are WGT taking notice (although they should also be conducting this analysis)? Having said that it reminds me of the following post from Puholino.

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/149354.aspx

It would be very interesting to hear from those players for the reasons for leaving or reducing their activity. I am sure they are varied but for the top players I feel the main reason is the lack of incentives. The loss of actually getting something tangible (gift cards) for the hard work they must put in, must be a big contributing factor IMO.

In fact even for the average player like me, there are no incentives dangled by WGT and I have always said, WGT needs to revamp its award/reward program as without any reward at some point, players will continue to leave. To play at any reasonable level it takes commitment and money (whether credits are earned or bought),  

• pdxdriver
    2,628 Posts
    Sun, Feb 24 2013 1:06 PM

very well put alanti.

RSS