Forums

Help › Forums

Practice Rounds at Oakmont

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jul 12 2010 9:17 PM (21 replies)
  • UKCats
    165 Posts
    Sat, Jul 10 2010 9:10 PM

Will we be able to play practice rounds at Oakmont on Monday? That is when the USGA thing is over so we should be able to. Just want to make sure. Thanks.

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Sat, Jul 10 2010 10:08 PM

Hi UK,

Oakmont will be available for regular play shortly after the final rounds of the USGA Virtual Championship have concluded.

• ncviz
    527 Posts
    Sun, Jul 11 2010 6:49 AM

I don't think that's what he's asking Niv. At any rate I would like to know anyhow. Will we be able to play Oakmont DURING the 2 round championship period, presumely in practice mode. So the dates of the 12th thru the 18th.

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Sun, Jul 11 2010 6:58 AM

I`d really like to know that also. It`s not the same, trying to wrap my head around Oakmont, by practicing on another coarse...even Bethpage(it`s pretty close though).

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Sun, Jul 11 2010 1:06 PM

My apologies folks, I had the wrong information yesterday and have been informed otherwise. 

Oakmont will be available for single player ranked and practice rounds starting tomorrow.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Sun, Jul 11 2010 1:14 PM

Will WGT be docking you your daily pay of a sleeve of GI-SD golf balls?  Or will they restrict your free round at Pebble Beach on Monday?  :)

Hey Niv... thanks for the info.

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Sun, Jul 11 2010 1:33 PM

Thanks Niv :), I`m assuming that the tournament tees and green speeds won`t be an option for practice, but I`ll cross my fingers `til tomorrow.  GL everyone!

(now, back to watching Paula Creamer finally win the Open!)

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Mon, Jul 12 2010 9:26 AM

I am practicing on St andy qualifer greens, and also playing Oak with just my 3 wood from master tees, its a close to a practice round we are going to get.

• TarheelsRule
    5,519 Posts
    Mon, Jul 12 2010 10:23 AM

Good idea Neil, using the 3 wood off the tee at Oakmont.  Still won't help with that green speed we are going to get but at least gives you a feel for your approach shots.  I am playing with standard balls and will switch a few rounds before I play to take that advantage away, helps me to make sure I am a little more precise.  I have actually found that the standard balls work well at St Andrews, don't spin as much in that wind.  Good luck in the Open and the USGA Open.

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Mon, Jul 12 2010 10:23 AM

I haven`t used a 3w since I was a pro, July `09. I dusted off my old pro 3w(225yds.) but it wasn`t enough. Sooo, I`m now a proud owner of a master 3w(235yds.) and think this will be close enough to practice. Maybe I`ll even use it in regular play afterwards :).

RSS