Help › Forums

The EPL is coming to America

rated by 0 users
Sun, Aug 18 2013 1:24 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Fri, Aug 16 2013 3:13 PM

I'm going to give the European Premier League a chance. There's more than 1600 hours of live football (soccer) programming on it's way.

This is going to be a huge hit among the youth in America. I also see a lot of business being generated from this League. 

I'd like to hear more from the U.K. fans, and what America can expect from the EPL.

• Mushy01
    2,567 Posts
    Fri, Aug 16 2013 3:26 PM

Who's broadcasting it Richard?

If SKY you're in for a treat, if Football (soccer) is your thing.

I couldn't live without it if I'm to be honest, but we as British were brought up on it , SKYSPORTS have done an absolutely fantastic job of bringing it to the world and coverage as said is second to none,Hope you enjoy it when it arrives on your shores.

P.S Watch out for what we call local derbies, usually 2 teams from the same town/city, usually has an added spice to it.  ;-)

• duffer19
    3,670 Posts
    Fri, Aug 16 2013 3:41 PM

fox soccer channel has been bringing it for years here now - friday/sat/sun and with replays all week long.  far cry from the bundesliga on sunday mornings 40 years ago on public broadcasting station (and no english spoken lol)  loved it then, love it now - the more the better - we've been treated to Serie A & B - champions leauge - and quite a few others too - fun is fun and this is that

• TWOMINUSONE
    2,580 Posts
    Fri, Aug 16 2013 3:53 PM

A little taste of whats to come Richard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYhegfOHclU

Strange, i cant seem to get the video up, but the link works?

• russellfahey
    4,286 Posts
    Fri, Aug 16 2013 4:38 PM

Are you on about the  English premier league Richard? or will you be getting coverage from all the major European premier leagues?

If it's the English premier league you will be in for a treat :) Sky have great coverage like Mushy said.Unlike most of the major premier leagues where there's normally only 2 teams that fight it out for the title,the English premier is a little bit more open with at least 4 teams fighting it out for the title such as Man Utd,Man City,Arsenal and Chelsea.Other teams that will be up there fighting for a European place are the likes of Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspurs.It's also reputed to be the best and richest league out there,with the bottom club still receiving about 63 million pounds.

Also this Season there is going to be goal line technology in place for the 1st time.My advice is just sit back with a few beers and enjoy.

Russell

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Sat, Aug 17 2013 3:20 AM

Richard4168:
    European Premier League

Sorry to disappoint you but it's the English Premiers League you will be getting.

But not to worry, the EPL is the best in Europe, which (as a Scot) pains me to say.

Joking apart if you like real football ( you know, the one played with feet and no armour) then you are in for a treat.

Where did the word soccer come from? The game is called Association Football and has been since the early 1800's.

• Chinajohn
    1,190 Posts
    Sat, Aug 17 2013 3:29 AM

PaulTon:

Where did the word soccer come from? The game is called Association Football and has been since the early 1800's.

The word  soccer actually predates 'football'. However it's modern derivation appears to have come from 'association football' being shortened to 'assocer' and then 'soccer'.

Edit: Sorry for some reason the link doesn't want to appear on this post even though I can see it on mine. If you cut and past this is the link to the article I quoted.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/06/the-origin-of-the-word-soccer/

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sat, Aug 17 2013 3:49 AM

Richard4168:
    I'd like to hear more from the U.K. fans, and what America can expect from the EPL

I am English but live in Australia these these days.  The commentary / pundits in general are not what they are on Sky / BBC or ITV in the UK, but it's still fantastic to watch it. Undoubtedly the largest league in the world (financially) and arguably the biggest spectacle which is why it's done well around the world.  

As  boy growing up near London I would buy the soccer annual book, but always just called it simply football  or footy. Football all winter long then cricket as soon as Easter hit through to September and back to footy.

You guys have other great sports. Excluding (no offense) a few pockets where Rugby might spoken about more football is king (almost sadly for me) to the exclusion of everything else. 

I hope you enjoy watching it.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Aug 17 2013 8:41 AM

There are 3 live EPL games broadcast today on NBCSports Channel and NBC.

No doubt soccer popularity is on the rise in the US though still lagging behind the 4 major US sports with the general population.   However, it is the 2nd most popular sport (behind the NFL) in the key 12 to 24 yr old age group (perhaps influenced by the popular FIFA soccer video game?) and it is the #1 most popular sport in the large US Hispanic population.

Fact is, US sports popularity is star based.  Each city needs its stars and each sport needs its super-stars (Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Mario Lemieux, Sidney Crosby, Gretzky, McGuire & Sosa in the '90s (ignoring PEDs for the moment the popularity of BB zoomed), Brady, RG3, to name a few)  Men's soccer in the US needs a super-star for its popularity to explode in the general population.

And it would be best if the super-star was born in the USA.  Granted Pelé playing in NY at the end of his career in the 70s gave interest in soccer a boost, it was way early in the game's development here.  And even Beckham playing in LA at the end of his career didn't cause the explosion.

Our first US born soccer super-star could be on the horizon.  With the success of the US Men's National team on a 12 game win streak, the tipping point could be close at hand.  The current star of that team, Jozy Altidore, has scored in 5 straight games including a hat trick on Wednesday vs Boznia.  He could be the Lebron James of US Mens Soccer if he continues to play this way in the World Cup. IMO.

Back to the EPL.  US National Team players playing in the English Premier League:

Jozy Altidore, forward for Sunderland

Tim Howard, goalkeeper for Everton

Geoff Cameron, defender for Stoke City

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Sat, Aug 17 2013 9:02 AM

Chinajohn:

The word  soccer actually predates 'football'. However it's modern derivation appears to have come from 'association football' being shortened to 'assocer' and then 'soccer'.

Edit: Sorry for some reason the link doesn't want to appear on this post even though I can see it on mine. If you cut and past this is the link to the article I quoted.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/06/the-origin-of-the-word-soccer/

Thanks for that John. Interesting link and the comments at the bottom are good for a laugh.

• PAGES
RSS