The EPL is coming to America

rated by 0 users
Sun, Aug 18 2013 1:24 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sun, Aug 18 2013 5:41 AM

andyson:
    No doubt soccer popularity is on the rise in the US though still lagging behind the 4 major US sports with the general population.

Yeah Football (soccer where you are) is simply not in the way of thinking like it is in the UK.  All fair enough as have other great sports, but perhaps difficult to explain just how deep rooted it is in the UK.  

Any pub / club / school yard / kids birthday party and the game talk is football almost to the exclusion of all else 99.9999% of the time(no disrespect to North Wales and Rugby Union / other games in general).  Bearing in mind England are an important test series against Australia in Cricket (huge if follow cricket and from either place) this link reached via "sports" may allow some clue how big it is:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/index.html

andyson:
    Fact is, US sports popularity is star based.  Each city needs its stars and each sport needs its super-stars

Not that dissimilar although the EPL (leagues exist below) is just the best you can get as a business.  As a boy I could ride my chopper bike to a field to watch Bobby Moore train...........gone are the days:)

andyson:

Back to the EPL.  US National Team players playing in the English Premier League:

Jozy Altidore, forward for Sunderland

Tim Howard, goalkeeper for Everton

Geoff Cameron, defender for Stoke City

Yep ...excellent players.  Look at other the Bundesliga and tiny financially to the Global dominance of the EPL, but being forced to blood more home grown talent means a better national side. Latter is the one thing the EPL does not do, but lets face it that's unimportant to corporate concerns running the EPL. 

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Sun, Aug 18 2013 7:19 AM

Jimbog1964:
    Yep ...excellent players.  Look at other the Bundesliga and tiny financially to the Global dominance of the EPL, but being forced to blood more home grown talent means a better national side. Latter is the one thing the EPL does not do, but lets face it that's unimportant to corporate concerns running the EPL. 

Spot on Jim, this years champions league final (and the scores in the semis) shows how the German model  is paying dividends. Also admission prices to Bundesliga matches are a fraction of the cost of going to an EPL match.

p.s. the chopper reference brought a lump to my throat, then I remembered the gearstick , crossed my legs and winced.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sun, Aug 18 2013 7:28 AM

PaulTon:
    Spot on Jim, this years champions league final (and the scores in the semis) shows how the German model  is paying dividends

Yep - will never happen in corporate (finance) driven EPL land.  What makes the EPL so big sacrifices bringing on a national team etc. I don't worry so much about the league team sas that goes in cycles I think.  Only a few years ago it was getting to the point where 3 out of 4 sides were EPL in the Champion's League semi finals. The EPL is very hard and fast and that's a great spectacle.  Maybe they will find a way with the national team.....Hope so as enough effin money in the game, and with all the coaching centres?.........I can only dream...'66 is so long ago now lol.

PaulTon:
    p.s. the chopper reference brought a lump to my throat, then I remembered the gearstick , crossed my legs and winced.

LOL - OH&S these days would make it illegal.  Back in the day it was every boys dream.  I had a speedo on mine, could get 30MPH out of it on the flat, NO crash helmet needed lmao..........

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Sun, Aug 18 2013 11:19 AM

Who could resist this...

• TWOMINUSONE
    2,580 Posts
    Sun, Aug 18 2013 11:25 AM

PaulTon:

Who could resist this...

I broke my arm on 1 of those years ago, lol. Made myself a ramp to jump over, but lost the grip on the handlebars and landed in a heap.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sun, Aug 18 2013 11:32 AM

TWOMINUSONE:

PaulTon:

Who could resist this...

I broke my arm on 1 of those years ago, lol. Made myself a ramp to jump over, but lost the grip on the handlebars and landed in a heap.

Tricked mine out with a speedo, rear veiws, castrol stickers, loved it as much as my first car.  Mine was orange................Not sure small boys ever change that much once away from some PC game:)

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Sun, Aug 18 2013 11:33 AM

I think choppers and clackers had casualty depts. rushed off their feet.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sun, Aug 18 2013 11:41 AM

PaulTon:
    I think choppers and clackers had casualty depts.

Geez you as old as me lol.  Yep clackers made conker fights look safe LOL...........Imagine a child these days riding a large rear wheeled bike down a dirt track at 45+MPH just to get off and play a harmless game of clackers LOL. Then again I could sit with a mate miles from anywhere fishing as a 7 year old.............My kids never had that as could not trust the modern world.

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Sun, Aug 18 2013 1:24 PM

The EPL/Bundesliga/Seria A/Spanish/Aust./S. Amer/ soccer has been on Fox Soccer Channel, Fox Sports Midwest, Gol TV for years in the states...

Gol TV has been replaced by beIN sports now(I won't watch it because it is owned by Al Jazeera)...NBC sports now shows a lot of games too(I too used to watch the bundesliga Sun. morning broadcast in German LOL)...lot of great soccer here to watch, like someone posted pay particular attention to derby's(pronounced Darby in Europe)...

lot of FC Arsenal  influence in the St.Louis area select scene now with Rams owner Stan Kroenke being part owner of Arsenal ...and never ever miss a Barcalona vs Real Madrid Derby, talk about hard nosed soccer between 2 teams that hate each other...Barca was the best team I have ever seen but with Pep gone and players possibly leaving we will see if Messi an Nomar can play together....

• PAGES
RSS