Forums

Help › Forums

LET ME START IT.

Tue, Dec 3 2013 4:59 PM (38 replies)
  • DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Mon, Nov 25 2013 9:16 AM

Thanks for sharing, Ren.  

There was one year my uncle decided we were all going to help out at a shelter.  He makes a contribution to a local homeless shelter every year.  Well, since we were all being a bunch of "spoiled brats" that Thanksgiving, he donated our services.

Talk about an eye-opening experience.  So many people thankful for something as simple as a warm meal.  I try to think of that experience when I find life throwing me that nasty slider.  It really puts things back into a proper perspective.  If you think you've got it rough, make that "service donation" one year.  It only cost you time, and will truly make you grateful for what you have.

As for the friends made on this site ... so many wonderful people!  I am truly grateful for joining this site and for the friends I have made along the way.  It's not about the destination all, it's about the journey.  Although many may just be getting by, be grateful for those you love and the simple pleasures life brings.

My best wishes to each and every one of you!  Thanks for the great times!

Kat ♥

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Nov 25 2013 11:52 AM

I got Ren as the guy that fell asleep on the couch..........  ;-)

Thanksgiving drinking game.

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Mon, Nov 25 2013 11:55 AM

Thanks Ren, all the best to everyone!!

• cappy11
    1,173 Posts
    Mon, Nov 25 2013 12:15 PM

To You and Yours Ren.......  Make it a Happy !

Cheers !

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Tue, Nov 26 2013 3:25 PM

We've had some great responses, this is not about me, it is about all of us. I am not the one on the couch, I usually carve the Turkey and at the end of dinner serve dessert. Anyhow, more responses would be great and pass on the hopes and dreams to all. Regardless of what we have or don't have, we have each each other on here.

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Wed, Nov 27 2013 3:40 PM

Looks like all who wanted to reply have done so. Please have a safe and happy Holiday. If your traveling to be with family or friends be careful and safe return. Refrain from 2 slices of pie, you will regret it in the morning.

• opyeuclid
    6,709 Posts
    Wed, Nov 27 2013 4:15 PM

And Please dont drink and drive 

OPY

• DaveStrock
    919 Posts
    Wed, Nov 27 2013 4:51 PM

Happy Thanksgiving all,,,Gobble until you Wobble.......

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Thu, Nov 28 2013 9:01 AM

Ren - quite frankly I have a hard time responding positively this year. If 2013 were a fish I'd throw it back. Lost one sister in law to disease, lost my mom to old age, a niece was murdered. My wife's twin sister had a stroke and major surgery. Huge financial struggles, daughter in therapy and in process of flunking out of high school despite a very high I.Q. First time in over 20 years I'm not cooking the Thanksgiving feast and hosting 20-30 people as well as cooking an additional turkey or two for a local church to deliver to the less fortunate.

In the end, however, I was reminded by the therapist last night night that the most important things to be thankful for are still here. Been married for 35 years and we still love each other. Our son has grown into a responsible, caring, kind man who is supporting and loving to his wife and our grandson. Our daughters are caring, loving kids who are in good health. We have a stronger family bond than I grew up with and I am there every day for them. We've managed to keep a roof over our heads despite the financial struggles.

Yes, I wish I could find full time work but my part time status lets me be here for the family. Those bonds are more important than money.

So, in the end, Happy Thanksgiving to you, too.

RSS