Help › Forums

Add more randomness to green speed selection

rated by 0 users
Tue, Aug 31 2010 10:25 AM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Panteleimon
    17 Posts
    Mon, Aug 30 2010 7:36 AM

It seems to me that green speed selection is based solely on the tier of the player(s), particularly in match play. For example, if a pro is the highest tier among the players, the greens will be fast. If a master is present, the speeds will be very fast. But, that is just not realistic. Sometimes the greens are slow no matter if Joe Duff is playing or Phil Mickelson.

Therefore, I suggest the green speed selection criteria be altered to allow for a random selection.

• cozmozogg
    167 Posts
    Mon, Aug 30 2010 2:16 PM

I agree 100%!!! In addition, it seems the mishits increase, and it's almost as if the game does eveything in its power to make you miss. I would love to have the option to set up a multiplayer game with any wind/gree speed/tees i want... that's the way games are supposed to be:)

Re: very fast greens: WRONG!
    By cozmozogg in WGT Beta
    i have only been a member for a month, but i think the very fast greens [vfg's] are a joke. i love almost everything about WTG [and am lookin forward to the new changes], but the vfg's are ridiculous. WAY too much break, unpredicible speeds, crazy in general. if it is realistic play we are lookin for as players, this need to be fixed - imo, NO golf course had greens/speeds/breaks like this. i know im a newbie, but c'mon... am i the only one who thinks this way? please shed some light, im lookin forward to your opinions... niv/snaike/alex/richard/sweetie/bullox... what do u guys think?

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Tue, Aug 31 2010 6:37 AM

Can't speak for those big shots, but for a so-so player who worked up to Master I did not think it was very much trouble to adjust to the faster greens. In my experience they are reasonably consistent. If they were 100% predictable it would be a mechanical exercise and not a game.

An exception, in many players' opinion, was the greens at Oakmont during the championship qualifier. You could be just next to the hole, but if you didn't quite make it the ball would often slide off into oblivion. Word from the experts is that the greens really are like that in real life. In any event, the bit shot WGT players managed to conquer those greens, too (to shoot 61's or thereabouts). Now, in the regular ranked round mode, the Oakmont vfg greens are entirely playable.

• cozmozogg
    167 Posts
    Tue, Aug 31 2010 7:06 AM

Like real life? no way. i have played a bit of golf, 2 country clubs in st. george, utah, and played at wolf creek in mequite, nv - and have watched countless hours of the pga on tv - i have NEVER seen a 12 ft break on a 6 ft putt. i see your point about mechanical, but i like being able to make 6 ft putts 90% of the time, it's my reward for a good approach shot. maybe they should be "unrealistic" for the tournaments, and leave them more realistic for the rest of us:)

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Tue, Aug 31 2010 7:11 AM

Just curious - any particular hole you had in mind in WGT? (Leaving aside the Oakmont tournament.)

• cozmozogg
    167 Posts
    Tue, Aug 31 2010 7:22 AM

sorry, i don't have the holes memorized, but there is 1 at kiawah, a few at bpb, and 2 at sta [#2 maybe] that if you putt 6 ft, it rolls 18-24, and in addition, the break is ridiculous. so, for me to sink a putt from 6 feet away, i have to aim 10 feet wide, and hit the ball 3ft on the meter - it's crazy, not to mention frustrating. and yes, you are right - as i get better i get used to where to aim, etc - but i would still rather have a 90% chance at that putt, as opposed to 20%. i will try and note the hole/distance/green placement/break on one of these holes next time and post it... i'm sure you know what i'm talking about. i have only played oakmont a couple of times, and that was the first few days i was a member.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Tue, Aug 31 2010 7:39 AM

Did anyone watch the U.S. Amateur over the weekend?  The greens at Chambers Bay make the greens at Oakmont look perfectly flat! 

If you missed it you still have a chance to see the totally challenging greens of Chambers Bay in the 2015 U.S. Open.

• hbthree
    478 Posts
    Tue, Aug 31 2010 8:05 AM

It is interesting to me that with CC tourneys one can choose green speeds, wind conditions, pin positions, etc.  CC tourney rounds are "ranked" rounds, thus why not afford the same flexibility with all "ranked" rounds???

Harve

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Tue, Aug 31 2010 8:23 AM

Which brings us to another desideratum on playing conditions. Real golf is "unfair" in the sense that playing conditions change throughout the day. Sometimes it's windy, sometimes not, sometimes there's rain, and the greens are soft, but elsewhere on the course drives don't roll as far, the sand is heavier, etc.

At some point it would be cool for some of this wackiness to be built into the way rounds are played at WGT (variable conditions, which could be designed to average out to a fair level).

We have this already to a limited extent with the wind. There is a general range, but the actual speed and direction on any given hole during a given round does vary.

Bring on the rain and all the rest.

• cozmozogg
    167 Posts
    Tue, Aug 31 2010 8:33 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmHzzXbki-0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LDhbyZPl9M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHZby17sG3U&feature=PlayList&p=B7F26BA309B186DB&index=0&playnext=1

so... you may see a big breaker OR a fast-roller, but not a fast-rolling breaker, with the pin 1 inch below the player, from 6 feet away, that breaks 12 feet and rolls 20 some odd feet when barely hit. perhaps this is fun for the outrageously good players, but it isn't fun for me. to have the capability of playing multiplayer with other pros/masters/amateurs or hacks, and to choose the options on that course [like hbthree said], is fun for me. that's all i'm sayin. more options! after all, isn't that all part of the fun in a "game"?

• PAGES
RSS