Forums

Help › Forums

Why I suck at Alternate Shot games

Sun, Jan 19 2014 5:40 AM (31 replies)
  • sweetmiffy
    2,110 Posts
    Fri, Jan 17 2014 6:22 AM

Hi everyone!

This has been worrying me for a long time. Yesterday I played with two of the greatest people here, Ren and Andyson plus another person who I haven't met before but who seemed VERY nice.

Anyway.

Poor old Ren was teamed up with me and as usual I completely blew up and we were thrashed. It was lots of fun though and it's always great playing with people much better than yourself cos you learn a lot!

BUT! I have a theory as to why I play badly in alternate shot games!!!!

I think it's a continuity thingy. For example, when I play at Kiawah, hole 1, I always try to make sure my drive is over to the left side of the fairway, so that it makes more of the green visible for my approach shot.

But if I'm not teeing off, I have no control over that and I have to quickly rethink my strategy for the hole.

Obviously I have a huge problem with quickly rethinking!

Hahaha!

I still love playing alternate shot games though!

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Fri, Jan 17 2014 6:40 AM

Last time we played young Miffy you did just fine.  It's only A/S so just relax?

Remember you don't have as many rounds in as some yet.  Also playing with Legends you can end up out of position compared to what you are used to.  

You came away with something to think about.  That and such experiences will make you a better player, and you had fun:)

• sweetmiffy
    2,110 Posts
    Fri, Jan 17 2014 6:49 AM

Jimbog1964:

Last time we played young Miffy you did just fine.  It's only A/S so just relax?

Remember you don't have as many rounds in as some yet.  Also playing with Legends you can end up out of position compared to what you are used to.  

You came away with something to think about.  That and such experiences will make you a better player, and you had fun:)

Hi James!

Yah I know it's "only" A/S but I don't like to let down my playing partner.

But yes, I didn't think about being out of position cos the Legend is teeing off! That makes a lot of difference!

That's one of the things I love about this game here: whenever I play, I have lots of thoughts afterwards about the game, the people I played with, what they said, the clubs and shot selections etc etc.

It is totally awesome! It's like reading a great book, you know?

Anyway, thank you for the insights!

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Fri, Jan 17 2014 9:22 AM

sweetmiffy:
    Poor old Ren was teamed up with me and as usual I completely blew up and we were thrashed.

"completely blew up"??  Nonsense! I thought you putted well and the pulled approach on the par 5 left of the green is the only "bad" shot I recall.  But still that shot gave your team a birdie op.  Remember how ElSid hit his 2nd shot to like 10ft for our team? Not your fault.  And don't forget it was Ren who flew his tee shot through the fairway into the deep doo-doo on #5.

Best not to worry so much sometimes. Just have fun, which we all did.

• jsweetcr
    1,209 Posts
    Fri, Jan 17 2014 9:45 AM

I know one thing I wish I could learn from Miffy, her great attitude.

I remember the first post I saw of hers. It almost made me sick. I couldn't believe some could fing things so wonderful an dgreat, when they thoroughly pissed me off and angered me.Over time her posts kind of wore off on me and nice to see her perspective from time to time.

Miffy can find the bright side of most things on this game, hence why she has such a good time. Not that I can't sometimes and don't have fun, but my god are there same foul mouthed hat throwing foot stomping rounds that I have.

Id gladly teach her what I know to learn some of that. Although not sure I can teach some of what i do, but id give it a try

• duffer19
    3,670 Posts
    Fri, Jan 17 2014 10:15 AM

i've slowed way down on my alt shot fun - seems i get my partners too upset sometime around the 4th hole - they pick me then see my stock ball and when I miss my shots they get kinda miffed - for picking me - and for not living up to my so called avg lol

I Iike your tude miffy - my faults are feeling bad for letting my p down - so I tend not to play that format much these days - i do miss it - used to be my fav

• jsweetcr
    1,209 Posts
    Fri, Jan 17 2014 10:27 AM

I play with you anytime duff. I could give a rip where you put that starter rock on A/S. Maybe I can learn something cuz you will stick me somewhere I wouldn't normally put myself and if nothing else I can practice my 20ft + putting. LOL!!

See Miffy's attitude is already rubbin off on me

• sweetmiffy
    2,110 Posts
    Fri, Jan 17 2014 11:38 AM

andyson:

"completely blew up"??  Nonsense! I thought you putted well and the pulled approach on the par 5 left of the green is the only "bad" shot I recall.  But still that shot gave your team a birdie op.  Remember how ElSid hit his 2nd shot to like 10ft for our team? Not your fault.  And don't forget it was Ren who flew his tee shot through the fairway into the deep doo-doo on #5.

Best not to worry so much sometimes. Just have fun, which we all did.

Elsid! that was his name! he's very nice! And he chatted almost as much as me! Hahaha!

I know I shouldn't worry so much but like dad says, that's my default setting!

Anyway it was awesome playing with you all and I'll try harder to relax! I was perspiring so much when I played that my hand slipped off the mouse!

But isn't this just the most awesome game evah? Yay!!!!!!!!!!!

• DDRoss1
    1,809 Posts
    Fri, Jan 17 2014 11:47 AM

Miffy, i those gentleman that have commented say you played well, then you played well as they are a respectable bunch of players and the kind of players you want to play A/S down. I too have cut back on my alt due to the same reasons as you do LOL. i have a fear of letting my partner down, now for me its only a game, but some people take that stat seriously and i respect that. So even as long as i have been a legend, as you can see in my stats, i dont play that much alt. You keep going at it, and i am sure before long you will be giving em a run for their money. And thanks very much for always seeming to have a positive attitude, makes me feel better about the game sometimes. You take care and have fun.

• sweetmiffy
    2,110 Posts
    Fri, Jan 17 2014 11:49 AM

jsweetcr:

I know one thing I wish I could learn from Miffy, her great attitude.

Id gladly teach her what I know to learn some of that. Although not sure I can teach some of what i do, but id give it a try

Hi jsweetcr!

Wow, ummm I'm sort of embarrassed. I don't think I have such a great attitude so much. It's just you know, I'm grateful for stuff I have and I'm privileged to have the opportunity to be here. I think in this case, even though WGT sometimes does poopie things, they really are trying to make this like the perfect game of golf ever.

Know what? I went to the Kiawah web site and I looked at each hole, photo's and maps, and I was amazed at how accurate WGT got this golf course. I don't care about the complaints and stuff. I just love all the courses we can play and how realistic it looks! I also remember when the PGA tournament was on, at Merion, and I was watching it on TV with dad, and the greens were EXACTLY the same! How cool is that?

Anyway, I would love love love to play a round with you! Tournament speed greens only though!!! And oh ok, alternate shot would be nice!

Hahaha!

RSS