Forums

Help › Forums

LONGER BALL LIFE

Tue, Apr 15 2014 11:54 PM (61 replies)
  • YankeeAirPirate
    124 Posts
    Sun, Mar 23 2014 11:54 PM

Hey, geraldlarousse, Chinajohn, tramilleo and the exquisitely brilliant know-it-all TNP56, consider yourselves reported to WGT as abusive trolls for that oh-so cute popcorn gobbler gif.

And TNP56, you don't know crap from apple butter about business if you think that abusing customers will keep the lights on. Note that this thread started out with a complaint that the high-dollar (over $5) golf balls should come with a service life better than 2.5. THAT is a reasonable gripe.

Again, WGT emphasizes trying to make the game play here as close a parallel to REAL LIFE golf, and for the most part does a fine job of it. But getting only around 3 rounds out of a new ball is a gouge that simply does not equate to real, temporal golf.

Losing a ball, fine. That happens. But to have a ball "expire" (taken out of play) is robbery. The only parallel for that would be if the pro shop manager were to sneak up behind you and pluck a (still relatively) new ball out of your ball pouch. The same guy you'll be obliged to visit to buy another sleeve or two of balls.

Anybody who doesn't see a problem with that is just too damned sheepish to be running a business, let alone upbraiding anyone else about pitching a [female dog] when they're getting screwed. Let's hope that WGT is more business savvy than you, TNP56, and take this FEEDBACK into consideration. Hell, if they truly don't give a rat's behind about customer satisfaction, maybe someday even the sheep will stampede.

"Cry baby?" Blow it out your ass, punk. Doesn't matter if you're pushing 90, you're a spineless punk. Okay, so now all the WGT shills can have at it again, while the sheeple bleat the requisite hymns to WGT. What a bunch of pathetic drones.

• spdemon
    1,588 Posts
    Mon, Mar 24 2014 12:42 AM

^^^^^lmao^^^^^

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Mon, Mar 24 2014 1:51 AM

YankeeAirPirate:
    Hey, geraldlarousse, Chinajohn, tramilleo and the exquisitely brilliant know-it-all TNP56, consider yourselves reported to WGT as abusive trolls for that oh-so cute popcorn gobbler gif.

And rightly so, just distasteful! 

YankeeAirPirate:
    Again, WGT emphasizes trying to make the game play here as close a parallel to REAL LIFE golf, and for the most part does a fine job of it. But getting only around 3 rounds out of a new ball is a gouge that simply does not equate to real, temporal golf.

Not quite true, I use a new ball every round when I play. Yes I have other balls that are OK (I use them for practice OR if I lose a ball). Lets hope Chad is not reading this!

YankeeAirPirate:
    Losing a ball, fine. That happens. But to have a ball "expire" (taken out of play) is robbery.

If anything I would say the reverse - losing a ball in the burn at Andys or in a knee deep creek could be construed as robbery. Balls do however lose their compression and do not have the same characteristics of a new ball (hence why pros will often use 3 or so balls per round. No we are not pros but we effectively play as one, using tee boxes and conditions of majors.

Basically we have a CHOICE -  no-one forces me to buy anything. I choose to as the game gives me many hours of pleasure so I see it as good value. 

Today I ordered a  cappuccino  in a  foreign  country, $9.00 - now this is robbery (and it was crap) and it was gone in 5 minutes but I did have a choice (and drinking Chinese Tea every meal kills me lol). 

I am often critical of WGT but pricing is not usually one of them. It is a business and is designed to make a profit. We all assume they are racking the coin in, but I am positive in the past there were times they were stressing about where the next dime was coming from and how they would pay the bills.

So good luck to them, they took the risk, and if it is paying off, congratulations. The last time I looked there were no  obligations  of a company to be a benevolent society. 

And finally I once worked for an airline who could not pay their bills, and arrived back to learn the  company  was in liquidation - no jobs, pay or flights for anyone. Is this what you want? No income equals no investment equals no game, period.

Ziajian

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Mon, Mar 24 2014 2:16 AM

YankeeAirPirate:

Personally I found it a good comedic interlude:)

YankeeAirPirate:
    Let's hope that WGT is more business savvy than you,

You don't give up give you that.  They seem to be doing OK.  

YankeeAirPirate:
    Hell, if they truly don't give a rat's behind about customer satisfaction, maybe someday even the sheep will stampede.

Looking forward to the link where all this change you are starting is going down.

And still not one singular fact, not one, but still the crusade.  I don't like the prices either, but so far your FB etc campaign has not hit any news I can see.  Please point to where it is growing...........Are you sure you have ever run a business. Into the ground does not count btw:)

Geez.

• TNP56
    510 Posts
    Mon, Mar 24 2014 3:39 AM

Jimbog1964:

And still not one singular fact, not one, but still the crusade.  I don't like the prices either, but so far your FB etc campaign has not hit any news I can see.  Please point to where it is growing...........Are you sure you have ever run a business. Into the ground does not count btw:)

Geez.

Thanks Jim

YANKEEAIRPIRATE

And TNP56, you don't know crap from apple butter about business if you think that abusing customers will keep the lights on. Note that this thread started out with a complaint that the high-dollar (over $5) golf balls should come with a service life better than 2.5. THAT is a reasonable gripe.

See your wrong again......this thread started as a request for a "ball retriever "  deadheadkev

............and just for his information, I just sent a note about him and his "Crusade" to WGT. :)   It's time for this thread and him to go.

• MainzMan
    9,590 Posts
    Mon, Mar 24 2014 10:08 AM

YankeeAirPirate:

Keep in mind, WGT is a server farm and a corporate office. Their entire product is generated by computer programming, most of which is already several years old and thoroughly recouped.  Miniscule overhead vs a conventional business.

Not quite.  Don't forget the costs involved in producing the courses we play and, if and when you do, also bear in mind how good they look compared to the offerings from TruGolf.

A massive amount of work goes into creating these HD courses, I hold my hand up and admit I've no idea what they actually cost but I doubt we're talking 10k here. 

At the end of the day everyone has the choice of playing with free gear or using less expensive balls.  I agree that if you want to compete at the upper levels then this really isn't an option though, this is where everyone has to decide for themselves whether it's worth their hard earned $ and if so, exactly how much of that $ they're prepared to spend.

We do have the choice though, pay for stuff and play to the best of our ability or stick with free gear and just have fun.

• GregSteed
    148 Posts
    Mon, Mar 24 2014 11:25 PM

Apologies for being a couple of days behind the times with this thread.  I peruse the forums only now and again, not a regular around these parts.

Mr. YankeeAirPirate, please excuse me for asking this, I mean no offense.  The vitriol you display in your posts makes it seem obvious that you aren't a fan of WGT as a company.  I have no doubt that you have your reasons for feeling this way.  That's more than welcome, with me anyways - everyone is entitled to their opinion, formed however they choose to form it.  In fact, it sounds like broadcasting this opinion across various social media platforms is a strong desire of yours.  My friend, what is stopping you?  You certainly seem to have the motivation.  You definitely have an expansive vocabulary and use it well, keeping every sentence original and interesting.  It sounds as if you have myriad examples to use as evidence in order to prove that every word you say is true.  

I'm asking this as a completely neutral observer - I'm still relatively new & don't have anywhere near the time logged on WGT that most in this thread do.  

So, YankeeAIrPirate - why in the world do you continue to play here?  I can't find the motivation.  You're being hustled, treated poorly, and worst of all you've been treated far more poorly than any customer of a business should be.  Seeing as how you're a business owner, there's little chance you'd accept even a fraction of this taking place in your business.  So why continue to put up with it here?

I can't imagine what there is to be gained by continuing to participate in the scam, as it were, if my eyes were wide open to it.  You sound extremely confident and justified in your righteous indignation - you should take your own advice and begin your campaign across social media.  Given how pervasive the problems you've detailed are, I'm sure you could find compatriots willing to stand along with you, once you've laid the initial foundation.  I have no doubt it's a daunting task.  No more daunting, however, then swallowing your pride and ignoring the ignoble treatment by WGT day after day after day, all while continuing to play a part in seeing to it that their coffers grow in value by the hour.

Again, I mean no offense by this.  As I noted, I'm not a regular visitor of these main forums.  Needless to say, I was a little surprised to see such damning words about WGT being posted by someone who continues to play this game daily.  I'm perplexed as to if this was a momentary lapse in patience & WGT has reconciled your concerns or if you're planning your social media campaign quietly on the side (nevermind the public posts here) so that you may launch it from within the belly of the machine.  

Regardless, hopefully you find some satisfaction in your quest, as this game certainly isn't providing any.  Once this mountain is conquered, maybe you could tackle your local NFL franchise for charging exorbitant ticket prices & then blaming it on the salaries that players demand (hint: the shared TV money covers the payrolls of every team - also, college team charge exorbitant prices as well & their players are "unpaid," relatively speaking...just a a thought, a starting point just in case your next campaign versus the windmills is a little slow getting off the ground!).

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Tue, Mar 25 2014 10:53 AM

2012 Forbes Article

. . . The process of turning 18 holes into an immersive digital experience begins by shooting up to 300,000 photos with high-definition and laser cameras, on land and from a helicopter and plane, each picture attached to an exact location using GPS. Imaging can take two to three weeks and cost hundreds of thousands of dollars per course. The photos are stitched together to make textures and objects in a computer-generated 3-D environment. . .

Add in the cost of all the time (6 months or so of payroll for 50 or so employees.) needed for negotiating the use licensing (and other legal services expenses), planning, stitching the 300,000 photos together, programming the terrain and linking the terrain to the stitched photos, keeping it all running, updates, etc.

What we don't know is how the use licensing is set up. Use licensing fees are often based on the amount of usage - the more usage the more you pay. The more courses you have the more you pay in use licensing fees.

We don't know what WGT's payroll, benefits, and other office costs are, including what it costs WGT to use the Internet.

How the Internet works, and why it’s impossible to know what makes your Netflix slow

What the Internet is

What happens before the last mile? Before Internet traffic gets to your house, it goes through your ISP, which might be a local or regional network (a tier 2 ISP) or it might be an ISP with its own large-scale national or global network (a tier 1 ISP). There are also companies that are just large-scale networks, called backboneswhich connect with other large businesses but don’t interact with retail customers.

All these different kinds of companies work together to make the Internet, and at one point, they did so for free—or rather, for access to users. ISPs would share traffic, a process called settlement-free peering, to increase the reach of both networks. They were worked out informally by engineers—”over drinks at networking conferences,” says an anonymous former network engineer. In cases where networks weren’t peers, the smaller network would pay for access to the larger one, a process called paid peering.

• Mookel141984
    1 Posts
    Thu, Mar 27 2014 6:06 PM

Maybe when you hit your ball in the water, weeds, etc. they could give you a buy back option, say 25% of the original cost, so when you lose a ball that you have barely hit you can get it back. Nothing worse than losing a ball that has been hit only a few times!

• YankeeAirPirate
    124 Posts
    Fri, Mar 28 2014 11:17 PM

GregSteed:

Mr. YankeeAirPirate, please excuse me for asking this, I mean no offense.  The vitriol you display in your posts makes it seem obvious that you aren't a fan of WGT as a company.  <snip>

No doubt as a function of dialing in late to this thread, GregSteed, you misinterpret my vitiol as being directed toward WGT. Granted, I hopped into this thread, subject title "Longer Ball Life," with an observatio and complaint that expensive (over $5) golf balls should not enjoy the same feeble life span of 2.5 as do most $2 balls. It was the WGT faithful (or shills) who took offense that anyone should dare to express a complaint about and to WGT. Most of my vitriol has been in counter to some rather rude sycophants who's idea of custome relations would seem to be "BOHICA" (bend over, here it comes again).

So, YankeeAIrPirate - why in the world do you continue to play here?  <snip>

I continue to play here becausse there is no other golf game on the Internet that even comes close to WGT. What I find not so amusing is the sheep-like "Well, that's just the way it is" attitude of [supposed] fellow golfers who may agree that 2.5 is a desperately short lifespan for an expensive golf ball, or that "Ball taken out of play" is a WGT gouge that has no parallel in real golf (other than the pro shop manager stealing out of your ball pouch, and inviting you to drop by and buy another expensive sleeve of balls).

It just makes me itch to witness so many people who apparently live under the iron fist of a dictator somewhere, who blanch at the very notion of raising a complaint about Dear Leader. I continue to play here because I like the game play, but that doesn't insulate WGT as a business from considering customer satisfaction. Not too sorry if that offends anyone.

I can't imagine what there is to be gained by continuing to participate in the scam, as it were, if my eyes were wide open to it.  You sound extremely confident and justified in your righteous indignation - you should take your own advice and begin your campaign across social media.  Given how pervasive the problems you've detailed are, I'm sure you could find compatriots willing to stand along with you, once you've laid the initial foundation.  I have no doubt it's a daunting task.  No more daunting, however, then swallowing your pride and ignoring the ignoble treatment by WGT day after day after day, all while continuing to play a part in seeing to it that their coffers grow in value by the hour.

I am confident and justified in my righteous indignation, but while I call some aspects of the business model (game play features, like golf balls that simply "expire.") a gouge, that doesn't mean I'm in favor of taking down WGT. And THAT is the puzzling thing to me when so many in this thread seem to take extreme umbrage that a customer should dare express a complaint or negative opinion.

As a business owner, you're damn straight I understand customer satisfaction and service. How do you think most businesses set their price points on goods and services? It's what the market will bear and backing it down when sales dip and the howl of the masses reaches critical mass. That's not anything personal, that's business. And as a point, "what the market will bear" is not much of a factor at WGT. They really have no parallel competition to jostle against. And therein may lie the rub.

Again, I mean no offense by this.  As I noted, I'm not a regular visitor of these main forums.  Needless to say, I was a little surprised to see such damning words about WGT being posted by someone who continues to play this game daily.  I'm perplexed as to if this was a momentary lapse in patience & WGT has reconciled your concerns or if you're planning your social media campaign quietly on the side (nevermind the public posts here) so that you may launch it from within the belly of the machine.  

You mistake me for an activist, which I'm not. But it really wouldn't take much of a "campaign" in the various social media to start a buzz that may resonate back to WGT and cause some alarm. Maybe enough alarm to bump expensive ball life up to 4.0 or better. If that happens, you're welcome (I blush).

Regardless, hopefully you find some satisfaction in your quest, as this game certainly isn't providing any.  Once this mountain is conquered, maybe you could tackle your local NFL franchise for charging exorbitant ticket prices & then blaming it on the salaries that players demand (hint: the shared TV money covers the payrolls of every team - also, college team charge exorbitant prices as well & their players are "unpaid," relatively speaking...just a a thought, a starting point just in case your next campaign versus the windmills is a little slow getting off the ground!).

Sorry to see you round out a level-headed and genuinely inquisitive post by waxing snide in that last paragraph, Greg. But again, probably 90% of the heat I've expressed in this thread is in counter-attack (I don't take that scat off of anybody) and in abject dissgust that so many players here preach the "take it or leave it" mantra.

You'd think I was bitching about their mother, not a gaming company we are all patronizing. Creepy. And all the more reason to wonder how many are actually WGT staff posting as players, like Judas goats. Keeping the herd in line. All is well. Two legs bad, four legs good....

Nope. I like the game play here at WGT, but the owners need to hear squeaky hinges to know where to apply the oil, even over the din of the adoring faithful who scream in WGT's defense, "JUST SPIT ON IT!"

RSS