Help › Forums

Moving on up...and out.

rated by 0 users
Fri, Sep 24 2010 7:37 PM (40 replies)
  • ironking34
    749 Posts
    Fri, Sep 24 2010 6:35 AM

CaptainShank:
    I am just one player of MANY that will no longer be contributing to WGT's income. I know it's not much but 129 credits (RG's plus half a ball per day)  times 320 days, (not playing everyday of the year even) adds up to 41,280 credits.  That is $412.80 a year mutiplied by every player who is doing as I am that WGT is OUT.

You are not contributing to WGT if you're winning ready go's because you're not actually taking money from your wallet once you become successful in the RG's.  The game is not fair for legends but we don't quit we keep on plugging away until we can conquer.  My average has suffered, if had more double boogies since the update than the rest of the year but together, I've only managed to win 5 RG's since the update but I haven't QUIT.  I'm sure you just started another account anyways, once we see another tour master or master on the leaderboard we will know it's you. 

• ironking34
    749 Posts
    Fri, Sep 24 2010 6:35 AM

CaptainShank:
    I am just one player of MANY that will no longer be contributing to WGT's income. I know it's not much but 129 credits (RG's plus half a ball per day)  times 320 days, (not playing everyday of the year even) adds up to 41,280 credits.  That is $412.80 a year mutiplied by every player who is doing as I am that WGT is OUT.

You are not contributing to WGT if you're winning ready go's because you're not actually taking money from your wallet once you become successful in the RG's.  The game is not fair for legends but we don't quit we keep on plugging away until we can conquer.  My average has suffered, if had more double boogies since the update than the rest of the year but together, I've only managed to win 5 RG's since the update but I haven't QUIT.  I'm sure you just started another account anyways, once we see another tour master or master on the leaderboard we will know it's you. 

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Fri, Sep 24 2010 6:58 AM

ironking34:

My average has suffered, if had more double boogies since the update than the rest of the year but together, I've only managed to win 5 RG's since the update but I haven't QUIT. 

Hi there Iron. Since the update and the initial reaction to it from all of the legends, the status quo is starting to reappear again. The same old guys who were winning the RGs before the update, are now starting to win them again. I have noticed a drop in my average credits won per tournament by about 40 credits. I was 210 prior to the changes, now I'm just breaking the 170 mark based on my last 70 tournaments. It equates to about 2000 less credits per week for me but I'm still healthily in profit.

I do however wonder what would be the case were the St Andrews & Bethpage 18s played under easier conditions? I am of the mind that the heavy winds are actually a good thing for the Legends, they generally have a better understanding of what shot to play and are better scramblers than those with a higher average. I think we may see the advantage move moreso towards the Masters and Tour Masters if the conditions become less severe on those particular tournaments.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Fri, Sep 24 2010 7:01 AM

tiffer67:
    Hi there Iron. Since the update and the initial reaction to it from all of the legends, the status quo is starting to reappear again

I wouldn't go that far.  I still think that it is pretty outrageous that a 68-avg pre-changes player can hang with the best players out there, but a 64-avg player, who is now a legend, has no chance whatsoever.  Realistically speaking, you only make money if you are a top legend or a "pretty good" player -- a TM that has to shoot a bad round here and there to avoid making legend.  All of the players in between (i.e. the "good" players) are screwed!

I do agree that harsh winds and especially fast greens help legends, though.

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Fri, Sep 24 2010 7:09 AM

CharlemagneRH:

tiffer67:
    Hi there Iron. Since the update and the initial reaction to it from all of the legends, the status quo is starting to reappear again

I wouldn't go that far, but I do agree that harsh winds and especially fast greens help legends.

Just looking at my last 10 tournaments played, I would say 6 out the 10 have been won by the usual suspects. In a couple they have missed out on countback.

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Fri, Sep 24 2010 7:18 AM

CharlemagneRH:

I wouldn't go that far.  I still think that it is pretty outrageous that a 68-avg pre-changes player can hang with the best players out there, but a 64-avg player, who is now a legend, has no chance whatsoever.  Realistically speaking, you only make money if you are a top legend or a "pretty good" player -- a TM that has to shoot a bad round here and there to avoid making legend.  All of the players in between (i.e. the "good" players) are screwed!

I do agree that harsh winds and especially fast greens help legends, though.

You don't have to be particularly special to make money in the RGs Charle, I should know. I'm not on a par with any of the guys in the monthly top ten earnings list but get there on the basis of volume and being fairly consistent. I get the odd win here and there but being a consistent top ten finisher sees you in profit no problem. I have over 1,000 top tens but probably have only won around 60. 60 wins from somewhere in the region of 1600 started is not a great percentage at all, particularly when you consider Iconian won 40 RGs in one month!

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Fri, Sep 24 2010 7:26 AM

tiffer67:
    Just looking at my last 10 tournaments played, I would say 6 out the 10 have been won by the usual suspects. In a couple they have missed out on countback.

Ten tournaments isn't a big enough sample size.

For example, the most recently filled RG is being lead by a TM, and so is the RG before that, and the RG before that.  After that, out of the next 8 RG's, 5 or 6 are being won by legends.  From these 10 RG's, it looks pretty much 50/50 to me.

This is why I was attempting to get tiers added to RG leaderbaords... to see how bad the problem is.

Sorry for the edit on the last post, too, but once again, there is also the issue of there being lots and lots and lots and lots of legends out there that will never, ever win a tournament because they were too good (and too honest) to stay TMs, but not good enough to compete as legends.  When Angeltotti, shaghar, coolswing, pricehcs, macgillicuddy, thunderbird, ncviz, cyl6, myself, etc. wins a tournament, you are looking at the top 2% of the legend tier.  For at least 50% of legends, winning an RG is all but impossible -- they could maybe win only 1 out of 500 RG's that they entered, whereas almost any TM has a 1/50 chance at winning, and if they are sandbagging, more like 1 in 15.

The handicaps are simply too coarsely distributed (i.e. the master->legend jump will absolutely crush most people) and they are too severe.  There should be a tendency towards moderation for this stuff.  When there is no incentive to buy equipment, become a legend, etc. because you can make more money as a TM, that's a bad thing.  Allowing 2% of legends to be thought of as extremely difficult to beat is better than making those 2% somewhat easy to beat, but making 90% of legends unable to compete whatsoever in the process.

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Fri, Sep 24 2010 7:34 AM

CharlemagneRH:

When Angeltotti, shaghar, coolswing, pricehcs, macgillicuddy, thunderbird, ncviz, cyl6, myself, etc. wins a tournament, you are looking at the top 2% of the legend tier.  For at least 50% of legends, winning an RG is all but impossible -- they could maybe win only 1 out of 500 RG's that they entered, whereas almost any TM has a 1/50 chance at winning, and if they are sandbagging, more like 1 in 15.

I don't dispute your point re Tour Masters, they have never had as good an opportunity to win credits as they do now. If they are at a level that they cannot improve beyond, then they would be severely disadvantaged by gaining legend status off the back of a couple of good scores round St Andrews or Kiawah. The system is more geared to them now than ever.

I don't agree however that it is only the elite of the Legends that can win RGs regularly.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Fri, Sep 24 2010 8:00 AM

tiffer67:
    I don't agree however that it is only the elite of the Legends that can win RGs regularly.

Got a link to an RG where a bottom-50% legend won?

To the best of my knowledge, none of them have pulled off this miracle just yet.

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Fri, Sep 24 2010 9:05 AM

CharlemagneRH:

Got a link to an RG where a bottom-50% legend won?

To the best of my knowledge, none of them have pulled off this miracle just yet.

I don't know how you expect me to judge who is in the "bottom 50%" of the Legend tier? Your original point was that it was the top 2-3% of legends that can win and the bottom 50% cannot. I don't fall into either category and have won 6 RGs this month. I have also shot 74, 73, 39, 38, 37 x2 and numerous 36s. You do not need to be among the best to win, you just need to be able to produce a very good round every now and again.

• RSS