Forums

Help › Forums

MLB challenge. You could win GI-SD Vapor balls!

Mon, Apr 4 2011 11:46 PM (269 replies)
  • yakker
    7 Posts
    Fri, Oct 15 2010 5:29 PM

ruh roh......... 3 - zip ranger in 1'st and CC's pitch count is growing biiiiiig!!

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Fri, Oct 15 2010 6:00 PM

ruh  roh is right. 3-0 in the third and the Yankees have two on base. Oh wait. Ok Wilson got out of it. Whew. Go Rangers.

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Fri, Oct 15 2010 7:49 PM

Uh oh. Yankees are coming back and Wilson is out. This is getting interesting.

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Fri, Oct 15 2010 10:44 PM

Wow! What a game. The New York Yankees come from behind and beat the Texas Rangers 6-5. That is a huge loss for Texas. That had to been demoralizing. Think about it for a second. You have Cliff Lee not starting till game 3. The Yankees have this mystique about them. When they make the playoffs and even the ALCS they are all but assured of a World Series apperance. And Texas just blew it. Now I will say that C.J. Wilson pitched his heart out and I really do think he is showing the MLB fans, outside of Arlington, that he can pitch with the best of them. Does he have Lincecum or Halladay or Lee or Sabathia stuff? No. But he has nasty enough stuff to shut down that Yankee lineup. But this game came down to the bullpens and once again in steps Mariano Rivera and once again he slams the door. I mean how the hell do you get to this guy? I'm saying this right now. And I will stand by this statement till I see different. Mariano Rivera is the best closer in baseball. Past and present. The man has the record in poostseason saves which is now at 42! And how about Sabathia going only a dismal 4 innings. I know you can get to CC. But wow. CC didn't look crisp. To me he kinda looked uncomfortable on the mound. And Josh Hamilton crushing that 3 run bomb to right I think may of got to CC a little bit. But the Ranger bullpen let down the rest of the team. You can't give up a single here and a single there and think no big deal. Not to this team. I was also kinda surprised to see Ian Kinsler getting picked off from first. Everything fell apart after the 5 run eighth inning for Texas.I orginally thought that the Yankees would win this series. I was thinking something along the lines of 4-1 or 4-2. But with this loss and the way they lost it I'm thinking it will be a sweep. I know they still have to face Cliff Lee. But if the Rangers bullpen can't stop a late inning rally by New York then you can forget about it.

Tomorrow is game 2 of this series. It's on at 4pm EST. And game 1 of the NLCS is tomorrow at 8pm EST. Oh boy!!!! Let the pitching duel begin!!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Oct 16 2010 6:33 AM

Ugh, totally predictable all around. This is what resting and getting healthy gets you-rust. What makes a difference is how you handle it and, if you noticed, nobody in the Yankee dugout got rattled. They got away with a stinky CC outing just by being patient which is what they do.  Swisher and Texiera personified what the team is all about-patience.Drawing those walks in the 8th off Oliver was huge, almost as huge as the total hustle play by Gardner to start the inning.

Nobody was trying to jack a 5-run home run, they all just waited for CJ to step up with the walks, something he led the majors in. Sure enough, one wheel starts wobbling and the rest of them follow. Hamilton was so anxious to gun the ball to the plate he let ARod get to third. Young tries to ole a missile instead of getting in front of it and it cost them.

27 outs. You have to get them before you can celebrate and Texas could only get to 21 before they succumbed. The Yankees stole this game.

Phew!   :-)

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sat, Oct 16 2010 7:32 AM

One thing I wondered about was that shot to third, where the Texas 3rd basemen tried to  "ally ooop" the ball.

I know it a hard shot and all, but bases loaded...why didn't he get in fronof it? ...seemed to  have time...ARod did itearly in the game...I think if the guy knocks that ball down, he could be have easily turned two...if so, Texas would have given up one run there and maybe, just ld maybe the flood gates would not have opened up.

Anyone else think he should have moved to it, instead of trying to snag it?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Oct 16 2010 7:39 AM

By the replay and the way the radio announcers called it the ball was hit too hard for Young to move quick enough to get in front of it. I could see that being so. Apparently Young's only chance was to pick it clean, he reacted and lost. As a 3rd baseman if you don't expect every ball to get hit at you you won't make that play.

You are so right about the flood gates, MB.

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Sat, Oct 16 2010 9:26 AM

You are absolutley correct in your analysis "YankneeJim". That's what kills teams when they face them. Patience! I don't know what happened to Texas. I think they may of been thinking about how they would celebrate a game 1 win in the eighth inning. What it come's down to is fundamentals. The basics! And the Rangers didn't execute down the stretch. Bad pitches and a lackluster defense is what costed them the game. Not throwing to the correct spot after you get to the ball in the outfield. Trying to make the big play instead of making the safe play. And yeah, the play that  Bret Gardner made where he slid into first base. (I forgot about that) Thats the type of "big" play you need to attempt in order to be able to win. It was a small big play, that turned out to be huge. Make sense? If Texas wants to win even one game in this series then, first they need to try to forget about game 1. Learn from it and move on. Then they need to play in the moment and not think about the next game or the next inning or even the next out. Just stay in the present and execute and before you know it your in the 9th inning with a 4 run lead with 2 outs. You hear me Rangers!! The Yankees are to damn patient and too damn good for you  guys to be thinking about anything else other than what your doing right now. I hoped you guys learned your lesson. Because if you didn't you know somebody on that team is going to go and unlock those "gates".

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Oct 16 2010 9:35 AM

Another intangible for the Rangers to watch out for-the Yankees have been there and done that. They've been up a ton early and lost. (Heh-just ask Doublemochaman about his Mariners going down 5-0 against them.) They've been down and prevailed, like last night. That's why they don't get rattled.

Unfortunately for Texas they have a weird monkey on their backs-they can't win at home. What is up with that? I liken it to the past Opens we had here. Qualifying was hard but you got a zillion chances to do it. Crunch time came and it was night and day. If you can't handle the pressure, you're doomed.

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Sat, Oct 16 2010 10:28 AM

Again..yeah your absolutley right. They have been there and they have done that. And yeah I have no idea why they can't win at home. What's the deal. Do they not like their home? Are the fans their not loud enough or not that "extra" man on the field? I don't know. But if all they can do is win on the road then they are really screwed. Not that they are not now. But if that actually happens then that means they would come back to Texas with a 3-2 lead in the series. LOL.LMAO. Yeah.......not going to happen.

RSS