Forums

Help › Forums

MLB challenge. You could win GI-SD Vapor balls!

Mon, Apr 4 2011 11:46 PM (269 replies)
  • Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Sat, Oct 16 2010 4:28 PM

Wow. Does Ron Washington or Nolan Ryan or somebody involved in the organization play this game and check out this thread before the game? Unless they just totally crumble like a cookie in the ninth they are going to win game 2 and tie the series!!! Good job Texas. Ok.....now I'm mentally preparing for my game. Check back here later on for my post game report. Go Phillies!!!! :)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Oct 16 2010 7:58 PM

Oh boy, trouble in River City. Lincecum is the only ace living up to the billing. This WS is certainly up for grabs.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sat, Oct 16 2010 8:51 PM

All I can say, is "One up for the good guys"

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Sat, Oct 16 2010 9:01 PM

Well that certainly wasn't the pitching duel that everybody talked about. Congratulations to the San Francisco Giants as they take game 1. That was a pretty exciting game. I mean wow. Even though I'm not happy with the outcome, it was a hard fought, down to the wire kind of game for the Giants. And how about Cody Ross! Roy Halladay retired the first 7 batters he saw in the game. Then come's the eighth man in the Giant lineup named Cody Ross. And "BOOM" homerun. Then he come's up a second time and the same thing. What the...? How? Why? But even though he gave up 2 homeruns Roy still pitched very well. He went 7 innings, gave up 8 hits, and 4 runs, while striking out 7 and walking nobody. Not bad. Now it's not what we are used to seeing from Roy, but I would take that anyday against most ball clubs. I said "most". The Giants are not one of those clubs. You can just feel this series going 7 games and they are all going to be very close games. And really I think the Phillies offense is going to be alright. Those first couple of innings they were making good contact and sending the ball to deep in the outfield. So did the Giants.

And how about those Giants. Tim Lincecum had another solid performance. He gave up a solo shot to Carlos "chooch" Ruiz, and a 2 run shot Jayson Werth. But other than that he didn't really give up too much more. He did give up a lead off double to Ryan Howard, but he got out of that inning with no damage done. He to went 7 innings, gave up 6 hits, and 3 runs, while striking out 8 and walking 3. And although Brian Wilson got into just a little bit of trouble in the ninth he came away with the save and preserved Tim Lincecum's second postseason win ever.

But the outcome of this game could of been much different. The umpire behind the plate tonight had one of the smallest strike zones I have ever seen. Derryl Cousins is lucky I wasn't at the game or else he might be picking size C batteries out of his head! Pat Burrell was at the plate and down in the count 0-2. Roy pitches the ball and I said "yeeeessssssss thank you.............wait whhaaaaatttt??" "That was a ******* strike you *******!!!!!!!!" Now I don't care who you are and what team you like if you didn't see that pitch...trust me you would of said "yeah that was a strike". But noooooo he called it a ball. That would of ended the inning and the Giants would of walked away to the next inning with a 2-1 lead. But instead Burrell got the call and on the next pitch he hit a RBI double off the wall in left field. The Giants would tack on another run and obviously as we all know would go on to win.

Now I must say something here. I'm not making excuses for my Phillies. We had our chances. We left a few men on base. (7 to be exact)  So yeah that play I described did change the game up to that point but we our chances and we could of done better with those chances but it just didn't happen that way. So one more time congratulations to the Giants on a well played game.

I'm a little worried about game 2. We have Roy Oswalt going for us and we all know what happened the last time he pitched. Yeah we won the game but he wasn't dominate in any sense of the word. Now I realize that those were the Reds and these are the Giants. But I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little worried. And also after seeing Jonathan Sanchez and what he can do, I'm a little worried about getting some hits and turning those hits into runs. I know one thing though. We are in for a hell of a ride the rest of the way.

• BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Sun, Oct 17 2010 4:25 PM

Yoda79:
                                    But the outcome of this game could of been much different. The umpire behind the plate tonight had one of the smallest strike zones I have ever seen. Derryl Cousins is lucky I wasn't at the game or else he might be picking size C batteries out of his head! Pat Burrell was at the plate and down in the count 0-2. Roy pitches the ball and I said "yeeeessssssss thank you.............wait whhaaaaatttt??" "That was a ******* strike you *******!!!!!!!!" Now I don't care who you are and what team you like if you didn't see that pitch...trust me you would of said "yeah that was a strike".

It was a "Ball"...just a little too low.

that was one of the most consistently called games I have ever seen...incredible display of accurancy for both teams and for both the balls and strikes he called...

take another look...(which of course isn't the angle the ump sees it from but none the less it's a ball).

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Sun, Oct 17 2010 4:49 PM

I disagree. Yeah that was a little low. I don't deny that. But it was high enough to call that a strike. Now I will say that the umpire was consistent with all his calls. And he did have a very small stike zone, but that was a strike. I'm sorry. Anyways your right. The umpire does have a different angle to look from and maybe....well obviously....it looked like a ball. Oh well. Like I said we had our chances and just didn't get it done. Well we will see how tonight goes.

• BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Sun, Oct 17 2010 5:15 PM

YankeeJim:
     They got away with a stinky CC outing just by being patient which is what they do.    

Yes the Yankees did in game 1...get use to it with CC.

Sabathia is 6-4 with an ERA of 4.79 in his career post season play.

As much as I like him, having followed him ever since Cleveland drafted him in the 1st round of the 98 amateur draft, he has a tendency to lose or not perform well in important games.

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Sun, Oct 17 2010 5:57 PM

Well after watching the first inning of this game 2 I can see this is going to be a long game for both teams. Missed strike and ball calls by both teams and Philly leaving the base loaded just isnt going to get the job done. Although Oswalt does seem to be alot better than his last outing. And Sanchez.......well, I'll give him another inning or two before I make a judgement call on him. Just hope he continues to be wild!

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Sun, Oct 17 2010 11:32 PM

Awesome game!! Well game 2 is now in the books and the series shift's to San Francisco for the next 3 games. Congratulation's to my Phillies on a job well done. Let's review what happened for a moment.

First and foremost I got one name for ya. Roy Oswalt! That right there is why Philadelphia traded for him earlier in the season. Dominate!! He had a no-hitter going into the 5th inning. And then that increasingly pesty Cody Ross slammed a solo shot into the night to tie the game at 1. Where the hell did he come from. In his first at-bat Roy gave him some "chin music", which I enjoyed very much. Really the whole point to that was to get him to become a little uncomfortable at the plate. It didn't work. Anyways Oswalt was the dominate pitcher that everyone knows he can be. He went 8 innings, gave up just 3 hits, and 1 run, while walking 3, and striking out 9. He also did it with the bat and surprisingly his base running! In the 7th inning he got a hit to center field. Shane Victorino sacrificed him over to second. Chase Utley was intentionally walked. Then with Polanco at the plate he hit a single to center field. Now in real time I'm thinking to myself "alright...bases are loaded". Then next thing I know Roy is half way home. The throw was cut off but eventually there was a throw home but it was too late. Roy slid across home plate to give the Phillies a 2 run lead. A lead that they would not relenquish for the rest of the game. And how about that pop-up off the bat of Jimmy Rollins. Where was the communication among the Giants infielders? Non-exsistent. Luckily that play didn't hurt them because Rollins was stranded on base that inning.

Earlier I posted something about Johnathan Sanchez about possibly being wild. Well you could say he was a little wild in the first inning. But after that he settled in nicely and although he wasn't as dominate as what he could of been, you couldn't be that disappointed with his perfromance. He went 6 innings, and gave up 5 hits, 3 runs, while walking 3, and striking out 7. Not bad. This game came down to the bullpens. And this time the Phillies were able to get the job done with a 4 run 7th inning. After the Roy Oswalt play running the bases that left Chase Utley and Placido Polanco at first and second. Ryan Howard struck out after the double steal by the Phillies base runners. Jayson Werth was intentionally walked to load the bases with Jimmy Rollins on deck. BIG mistake! Although I can't second guess Bruce Bochy for that move because J-Roll has been struggling at the plate. With Santiago Casilla on the mound he throws a 2-0 count pitch to J-Roll and he crushes it to deep right center field. As soon as it left the bat I said "yeeessssssss grand slam".......but wait. Not quite. It hit the top of the wall out there and 3 runs come across the plate to give Philly a 6-1 lead. Hopefully that's the hit that gets Rollins going for the rest of the playoffs. Sometimes all you need is one big hit in a crucial situation to wake your bat up.

Overall great game for Philly and this gets them back in the series. If they would of lost this game......wow. I don't think they would be advancing to the World Series for a third year in a row. But now as we look to game 3 we have yet another great pitching match-up. The 2008 NLCS and World Series MVP Cole Hamels vs. the San Francisco Giants Matt Cain. Should be another close one. Both pitchers are having great seasons. And again it's going to come down to who make's the least amount of mistakes. And really it's also going to come down to who is going to turn the ball game over to their bullpen in the best situation. Whoever has the lead at that point probably will win the game. Game 3, in this situation may not be as pivotal as a team leading 2-0, but a very important game none the less. As you don't want to go to game 4 down 2-1. Because then your backs are to the wall and you find yourself in a must win situation. Congratulations to Charlie Manuel and the Phillies once again but lets not get overly joyed as their is still plenty of ball to be played and it's still anyone's series.

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Mon, Oct 18 2010 9:13 PM

Wow!!! How about the Texas Rangers going into Yankee stadium and taking a 2-1 lead in the ALCS! The way Cliff Lee pitched tonight I don't think there are many teams that could hit let alone win a game. He was, as usual dominate. 13 strikeouts and only allowed 2 hits. And if Texas wouldn't of blown the game wide open in the ninth then he would of came back out in the bottom half and got the complete game shutout. And Josh Hamilton had a pretty good game. Aside from the homerun, which I didn't think it was going to be, he nearly had another. He just missed that shot to right. And I must mention Andy Pettitte. He also had a strong showing. His only mistake was to Josh Hamilton. But it was Lee who picks up the win. There isn't much more I can say. Congratulations to the Texas Ranngers on winning a big game. And good luck tomorrow on even a bigger game. If they could go up 3-1....wow would that be huge!!

Tomorrow we have a full slate of games on. Philly at San Francisco at 4 and Texas at New York at 8. Should be two very ineresting games.

RSS