Forums

Help › Forums

The Hustle 14 is Live!!

Sun, Oct 25 2015 4:14 PM (1,691 replies)
  • JCOlson
    1,118 Posts
    Fri, Feb 25 2011 12:54 PM
    The Final Four is in! Good luck. You have 10 days to complete these matches. Round is at Kiawah. Have fun!
    1,644 Posts
    Wed, Mar 2 2011 9:57 AM

Well, this had to be one of the most tightly contested matches I've had the pleasure to enjoy here since matchplay began!  Lots of credit to Stuffix for battling and matching shot for shot some good play and some not so good play by myself.  Unfortunately he was not able to recover in a few more instances and in the end I would win it 2 &1.  Here is the card..

Highlights,

#1 Stuffix gets off to a rough start with the new driver and is in the 30/40 rough off the tee, I make a bird to move 1 up.

#2 Both of us leave less than desirable birdie putts from past the hole and both miss.

#3 Stuffix again in the rough (but short rough) and is able to recover nicely to 4 feet, I fly my approach 3yards right and miss the bender coming back.  Stuffix takes the hole and back to AS

#4 A rare occurrence sees both players make birdie!  Both putts from under 8 feet

#5 Stuffix is 10 yards long off the tee and chips back to 7 feet short, I have a 21 foot birdie putt that I miss and he makes the par.  Still AS

#6 Stuffix gets a nice roll off the right mound and rolls back toward the pin to 10 feet.  I get shorted with my 7Iron (yes it still happens) and missed the 30 foot birdie putt.  Stuffix slides his putt just wide.  Still AS

#7 Turning Point!  After 2 good drives with a 5mph wind @ 2pm ish.  Stuffix hits his 2nd shot which looks to be good to hold the green but just slides off the back.  Then I step up with the new 3W and fly it from 260 to the center of the green where it checks up pin high and 11 feet left of the hole!  Wow I like this club!!  I was able to convert the double breaking eagle putt to restore the 1 up lead.

#8 Stuffix runs into trouble off the tee and is in the sand right of the green, after the pitch ends up 18 feet short the hole is conceded.

#9  My approach sticks 3 yards long from 164 yards, then Stuffix nearly rattles the pin with his approach that rolls 10 feet long.  He then drops the bending birdie!  Cuts the lead to 1up after I miss a very similar 9.6 foot bird.

#10 thru #13 are uneventful as we matched each other par, bird, par bird.

#14 Turning Point!  Stuffix hits an awesome tee shot to about a foot almost holing out, and I hit it long and missed the 21 foot putt back for bird..... Back to AS!

#15 And another Turning Point... Stuffix pulls his tee shot way left into the 40/50 rough 170 yards out pretty much eliminating any chance for birdie.  Then I hit my approach 7 yards short (yes that damn 7 Iron again.... you'd think I'd learn that by now)... After Stuffix knocks his third shot close I was able to drain the subtle triple breaking putt to go back up 1.

#16  Stuffix hits his 80 yard approach 3 yards short, and I stick my 76 yard approach 1 yard long.  An unfortunate miss from 8 feet would see me take a 2 up lead.

#17  My tee shot is just a bit short hitting the mound and rolling off to the right 4 yards short, not great, but could be worse...  Stuffix hits his 4 yards short as well but leaves himself a much better line.  I was able to read the 13 foot bender off the side of the mound to win the match 2up and Stuffix was able to birdie the hole as well.

Thanks to Stuffix for the very entertaining round and I wish you some better luck in the next event.

Lee

• stuffix
    762 Posts
    Wed, Mar 2 2011 10:34 AM

Thanks Lee, that was a pleasure playing with you. Amazing opponent and great company to play some golf with. Thanks for the highlights, that was almost more exciting to read that than playing.

I was really impressed by some of Lee's shots, especially on the green. He didn't drained a lot, but the pace was always perfect, really enjoyed watching that.

I wish I had been more consistant out there, but I managed to hit some good ones too so that's not too bad.

I'm glad I made it that far in the tournament. Thanks to JCOlson for running it.

And good luck Lee in the final.

• TheDon32
    23 Posts
    Wed, Mar 2 2011 2:58 PM

I missed out this time around, but would love to get in on it next time around

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Thu, Mar 3 2011 8:31 PM

Semifinal match w/ Ahudd on kia.  Started off 1up thru 1 when he left himself a tough putt from left of the flag.  3 I catch a lucky break holing out for eagle from 76 yards.   He stops the bleeding immediately with a big breaking putt of nearly 30 ft from short/left of the pin on 4. On 5 I made a nice breaking putt of my own with a 16 footer from left of the flag.  6 and 7 were halved with kick-in birdies on each.  

On 8 there would be an unfortunate situation for Ahudd, i hit a mediocore approach to 13 ft long of the flag.  He knocked one in tight rolling down the slope damn near from the left edge of the green to 2 ft.   As I was about to hit my putt he accidentally hit the conceed button on one I'm likely going to miss the majority of the time. 9 halved with pars and I take a 2up lead to the back.

Back 9 starts off with me airmailing my wedge approach 12 ft long, and ahudd sticking one to a few feet to win the hole.  11 is halved with simple birdies, and I am fortunate to halve 12 after he missed a slick 7 foot birdie putt from long/right.  13 I win the hole with a par when ahudd had another slippery putt. 14 I hit 3i to 16 ft short and right and make the putt to pull 3up.  On 15 I catch another break when ahudd is meter'd into the sand off the tee, and close out the match with a birdie.

All the breaks went my way in this one, looking forward to the big final match with Lee.

• JCOlson
    1,118 Posts
    Thu, Mar 3 2011 8:45 PM

congrats bollox and lee for making it to the finals!  Finals are back at St. Andrews.  Wish we could televise this match, I would def watch it.  Good luck to both of you and have fun.  Everyone else, please look for the next Hustle in a week or so....

your humble tournament organizer...

• JuanMendoza
    469 Posts
    Thu, Mar 3 2011 11:55 PM

Lee and Bollux in the final?

Who'd a thunk?

(Wish I could have bet on that...)

• JCOlson
    1,118 Posts
    Fri, Mar 4 2011 9:47 AM

Haha Juan. Says the defending champion. Next Hustle I will entertain side bets!

• speedyschic
    948 Posts
    Sat, Mar 5 2011 10:27 AM

JCOlson:

congrats bollox and lee for making it to the finals!  Finals are back at St. Andrews.  Wish we could televise this match, I would def watch it.  Good luck to both of you and have fun.  Everyone else, please look for the next Hustle in a week or so....

your humble tournament organizer...

Hey guys,

I would be more than willing to live stream this match. Of course I would have to tag along as a 3rd in the match. The way that we do our CC televised matches is just to play in practice mode with broadcaster in tow. The live stream only affects the broadcaster. It butchers my meter pretty badly. The only downside is that you have an extra person in the match. Anyway, just a suggestion if you guys are interested. I know the entire WGT community would LOVE to see this match!

Speedy

• Switz71
    278 Posts
    Sat, Mar 5 2011 11:20 AM

I would love to see this match hit the airwaves, couldn't have asked for a better final between 2 class acts & true legends of the game. I've only had the pleasure of watching 1 other match, it was between Mr. Seveking & Mr. Pricehcs. 

In any case, best of luck gentlemen & congrats on fighting through an incredibly tough field.

RSS