Forums

Help › Forums

The Hustle 14 is Live!!

Sun, Oct 25 2015 4:14 PM (1,691 replies)
    1,644 Posts
    Thu, Feb 10 2011 10:33 AM

Just wrapped up round 2 with cyl6, first of all, what a pleasure it was to play with you Clarence, you have a tight game sir!  And it was a great match as well, not too many bad breaks (but some) and well fought to the end.

In the end I won 3&1 but it was certainly closer than what the score would show.

Cyl got out to an early lead after I leave my approach on 1 short and left and miss the putt.

On #4 cyl runs into trouble in the fairway bunker.  Very hard to make birdie from that spot.

Then on #8 an unfortunate early click leaves cyl off the green short an left, but he almost holed out from there.  I was able to make the 9ish foot birdie to win the hole.

Things remained tight until the 13th, where another early click to the short rough and a deviation against the wind from 125 yards leaves cyl in the sticky fringe short and right, but it didn't matter because I potted my approach from 69 yards for an eagle and a 2up lead!  I had been flirting with the pins most of the round...

On #14 we were both perplexed by the tee shot, mine ending up 7 yards short and his 5 yards left.  I lag my putt to the hole but leave it wide and cyl had some issues with the sideways break, 3 putting and giving me a 3 up lead.

On #15 cyl gets it back with a great birdie putt to the back right pin and I just miss mine.

#16 again both of us struggling with approaches, cyl is short in the rough and I have a long bender from the front of the green, cyl barely misses the chip in bird and I leave my putt about a foot short.

Finally on #17 for some reason cyl's shot rolls out to the back of the green and mine bites and stays tight.  He gave it a good attempt but it slid just past. 

And that is not to mention the 2 or 3 20+ foot clutch putts that he was able to make on the halved holes.

Once again, great match Clarence, and thanks for the good company.

Lee

• cyl6
    347 Posts
    Thu, Feb 10 2011 11:00 AM

Thanks Lee, really enjoyed the match. Great playing, as always, by one of the best in the game. Lee was modest, he could've done a lot more damage and he made some great shots.

On #2 he drained a 20+ footer to save birdie when I was inside 4 ft to keep it 1up.

at #3 he barely missed a birdie, and at #5 he hit a brilliant approach to 8 ft above the hole that just missed for birdie.

Add to that great approaches at 9, 10, 11, and of course that hole-out at 13, and I was constantly playing defense to some great shot-making. Well-done, and great playing with you Lee. Good luck in the next round!

C

• TallAcePaul
    1,455 Posts
    Thu, Feb 10 2011 12:30 PM

HI JC

Just wanted to say thanks for you putting on this comp for us to compete in, much appreciated. Would have said it earlier just ******* ****** off at getting beat in the first round ******* twice now. Not a happy bunny but enjoying the game play.

Thanks

TAP

• JCOlson
    1,118 Posts
    Thu, Feb 10 2011 3:46 PM

Haha, Thanks Paul! I feel your pain. I was one playoff hole away from feeling the same frustration!

Congrats Lee on advancing to the elite 8. Cyl6 is always a tough out.  Updated bracket below. If you see or play with any of the first rounders yet to play, remind them to get their round in!

• GoHardGoHome
    965 Posts
    Fri, Feb 11 2011 6:11 AM

Played Rd 1 with Baddy. Enjoyed the chat and hit and bit unlucky with some of his putts on the front. He played really well on the back and things started getting a little interesting. Flat stick came to the rescue when required!

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Fri, Feb 11 2011 1:14 PM

Just barely squeaked out a win vs ty33.  Had a pretty comfy lead but he strung together some birdies at the end to really make me sweat.

• ty33
    39 Posts
    Fri, Feb 11 2011 1:42 PM

It was a pleasure playing with you BB, great match down to the end!

Thx JC for the opportunity to compete, and for all you did to make it possible.

ty33

• JCOlson
    1,118 Posts
    Fri, Feb 11 2011 1:56 PM

Updated Bracket. Also a reminder that round 2 is at Bethpage Black and round 3 is at Oakmont. Best of luck to all!

• stuffix
    762 Posts
    Sat, Feb 12 2011 10:19 AM

Just finished a tight match against Bristoluk in which I ended up winning 2&1.

We both played a good but not great front 9 going out in 32.

On 10, my drive went to 390 yards with a 20mph tailwind which left me a 115ft putt. I managed to putt it within 4ft to halve the hole with birdies. I started to worry at 12 where I missed a 7 footer for birdie going 1 down, but a 40 footer on 13 brought the game back the AS. I then birdied 14 and 15 to take a 2 up lead.

On 16th, he had the possibility to come back when his drive went to 4 yards from the pin with a 19mph tailwind, but he 3-putted. 17 was halved with pars and that was it.

Thanks for the game mate and see you around.

• Bristoluk
    412 Posts
    Sat, Feb 12 2011 10:34 AM

yes gd game  lol hopefully if we play again il putt better  gd luck 4 next round

RSS