Help › Forums

putting

rated by 0 users
Wed, Sep 23 2015 2:52 PM (24 replies)
  • PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Mon, Sep 21 2015 7:39 AM

Jimbog1964:
    And as Robert The Bruce famously mused when inspired by a spider, 'If at first you don't succeed - give up"

If you must quote a Scottish legend, show some respect Jim and give the correct quote.

Read this in a groundskeeper Willie accent -

" If at first you don't succeed...pull yer foreskin over yer heed"

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Mon, Sep 21 2015 7:51 AM

courteneyfish:

It just takes practice. The faster green speed means you have to allow for more break as the ball is moving more slowly.

What I think you're saying is like this:

jsweetcr:

I think the only major thing that would have changed is you went from fast to very fast greens.

This obviously affects you on putts, as the ball will be affected by break more. With  a faster green the ball will actually be rolling slower because you hit it less to get it to go the same distance. If ball is moving slower than obviously the break will have more affect

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/201905/1405009.aspx#1405009

Is that what you're saying?

• ct690911
    7,205 Posts
    Mon, Sep 21 2015 7:57 AM

PaulTon:

Jimbog1964:
    And as Robert The Bruce famously mused when inspired by a spider, 'If at first you don't succeed - give up"

If you must quote a Scottish legend, show some respect Jim and give the correct quote.

Read this in a groundskeeper Willie accent -

" If at first you don't succeed...pull yer foreskin over yer heed"

Robert da Bruce said dat?...or was it Willie da grounds keeper?....I'm a bit confused.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Mon, Sep 21 2015 8:53 AM

ct690911:
    Robert da Bruce said dat?...or was it Willie da grounds keeper?....I'm a bit confused.

Neither, lol.

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Mon, Sep 21 2015 9:12 AM

EJBarney:

my putting sucks as a pro and your system continues to rob me of some good putts...... very dissatisfied golfer

Me too!

Get used to it if ya stay...

• ct690911
    7,205 Posts
    Mon, Sep 21 2015 9:23 AM

fatdan:

EJBarney:

my putting sucks as a pro and your system continues to rob me of some good putts...... very dissatisfied golfer

Me too!

Get used to it if ya stay...

seriously...rent (or buy) a decent putter and a decent sleeve of balls.....it should help your game all round....sure cant hurt.....and play more games.....

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Mon, Sep 21 2015 12:02 PM

JFidanza:

courteneyfish:

It just takes practice. The faster green speed means you have to allow for more break as the ball is moving more slowly.

What I think you're saying is like this:

jsweetcr:

I think the only major thing that would have changed is you went from fast to very fast greens.

This obviously affects you on putts, as the ball will be affected by break more. With  a faster green the ball will actually be rolling slower because you hit it less to get it to go the same distance. If ball is moving slower than obviously the break will have more affect

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/201905/1405009.aspx#1405009

Is that what you're saying?

That's what I said. I'm sorry that you failed to understand it. I assumed it went without saying that the ball would be moving more slowly because it would have been hit less hard.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Mon, Sep 21 2015 1:58 PM

courteney, 

I understood what you said as I was actually trying to confirm it will a congruent post, but my response was because I saw another post*, which maybe you didn't read, and it was replying to your suggestion. 

I agree, it does go without saying. But I'm only speaking for myself.

So, yes, the main point is that when you move to a faster greenspeed, 'break will have more affect'.

YankeeJim:

courteneyfish:

Total contradiction. Faster greens means the ball moves faster.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Sep 21 2015 4:23 PM

YankeeJim:

courteneyfish:

Total contradiction. Faster greens means the ball moves faster.

No Jim, Courteneyfish is right.  It takes longer for the same putt to get to the hole on Faster greens therefore the ball is moving slower on Faster greens.

I hit the same putt from the exact same spot (within an inch) on two different green speeds. Slow 7.4 and Championship 13 using the practice mode on Congo #10.  I then used a stopwatch on the replays to time each putt from start to the cup.

Champ greens took 0.8 seconds longer to roll the 21 feet to the cup, therefore it rolled slower.

If you're wondering, I hit the Slow green putt with 17ft of power and the Champ putt with only 9.1 ft of power.  The putts were 21 feet down 7inches.

Here are the replays:

Slow

Champ

• opyeuclid
    6,709 Posts
    Mon, Sep 21 2015 4:31 PM

Froot Loops 

OPY

RSS