Forums

Help › Forums

Master CANT beat a Legend in match play

Sat, Apr 9 2011 6:46 PM (131 replies)
  • lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Thu, Feb 24 2011 8:51 AM

I agree Tiffer .. Jordan was always very polite and a very good player ... and i have no issue with people who play the game well at all .... i envy them.    

The unfortunate part is .. there are probably 1,000 guys/girls like Jordan playing who will continue to work the system silently ... and in my opinion this will be the downfall of the fun part of WGT .... "The Golf Bet" .... as people like me will just stop playing the fun games.   No more RG's for me  ... and MPC's are next on my list ..... I'll stick around for the occasional free tournament and a game or 2 every evening with my friends.   

The system just doesn't work ... 

By the way .. i did understand your point about not playing in the same tourney under both accounts.    Just don't agree that it should happen :).

Peace Tif :)

• LouisLewis
    107 Posts
    Thu, Feb 24 2011 2:50 PM

MBaggese:

I agree 100%, Chris

I think the advantages that good (and better) legends have are shot placement and putting skills.

In the few MP's I've had with Legends I noticed that the approach shots were not always 5 feet away...but many, many in the 12-15 feet area...and the putts were pretty straight in...me, I;d be 5 feet away from the hole, lots of break and choke the putt.

I would tend to agree with both you and Chris. Legends have a big advantage over a lower level Master like myself. But, this was different. I had no dreams of winning this MPC when I sarted it. It was getting late, and when a Legend accepted my challenge I just said " ahh Wat the hell" and teed off. The first 4 holes ...he was missing EVERY single shot/putt badly. Really Badly. He conceded 2 of the first 4 holes because he was 2 or 3 shots behind me by the time he got to the green. I mean putrid golf. Then out of the blue, dormie 4, he starts sticking his approach shots to within 3 feet of the cup ON EVERY HOLE. Wins the last 4 holes with ease. Meanwhile I start missing fairways and finding bunkers on every hole. Then in Extra Holes we play 4 more holes, dead even, until he practically holes out from the greenside bunker on 12. It was just too "scripted" for me.

You had to be there I guess.

• hacksaw5
    313 Posts
    Sat, Feb 26 2011 7:58 PM

good for wgt. when i played BC1966, whoever ridiculed me incessantly for not being a legend as I pummeled him. huge jerk.

• asthma
    336 Posts
    Sun, Mar 6 2011 3:02 AM

Very well said

I was master at the change, then levelled up to tour master over night. Since making tour master i busted my *** to make legend because to me, that is the ultimate goal. I made it the hard way and i'm damn proud of it. My best game at legend tier so far is a 31 at St Andys, but usually par or -2 is the norm. I play all courses and i am in wgtls. I play all formats and enjoy each game. I play a lot.

Sure the legend tees are harder, but you just play to your irons and wedges. Play smart. I will get better with each game.

I have no animosity toward any player in any tier and i will play them all.

I do feel for those who awoke one day to find themselves at legend tier, and fully appreciate the fact that they would be having trouble getting used to it.

Enjoy what we have and try to have fun.

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Mon, Mar 7 2011 4:45 AM

Haven't read the hole thread but I certainly disagree about the thread subject.

In my personal opinion, a master will always have the advantage of the tee length for the second shot in par fours & second & third shot for par fives. I am myself a TM & I see it very often when playing alternate with or versus legends.

It will also depends on players average. Any legend close to 60 will always be difficult to beat then the one who average is closer or above 70. Since the tee promotion for some months ago, many legends struggle to keep on with the tee level.

Viceversa, if a master or tour master is close to 60 is also very difficult to beat even tho the legend is also close to 60..... second shot skills are not that different, besides, masters or TM can have the same tools (equipment).

I always check the several percentages (only percentages) in the player stats: driving, green in regulation & putting, just to have an idea whom am I playing with or agains, very interesting indeed, it normally shows in the players performance when playinng together in a session.

There is a legend friend of mine who beated me when I just turned master, whom now, avoids my invitation for a "rematch" ......LOL

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Mar 7 2011 12:43 PM

Legends become so with a history of superb play; winning touraments and beating the daylights out of most takers. It is a difficult pill to swallow to have some shake'n'bake, jonny come lately, with the latest gear, come around and swagger when spotted 70 to 100 yards from the tee. Until the Legend level is reached, all of the rest is just boring conversation.

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Mon, Mar 7 2011 1:46 PM

SweetiePie:

Legends become so with a history of superb play; winning touraments and beating the daylights out of most takers. It is a difficult pill to swallow to have some shake'n'bake, jonny come lately, with the latest gear, come around and swagger when spotted 70 to 100 yards from the tee. Until the Legend level is reached, all of the rest is just boring conversation.

Hummm....

Whish I had been promoted directly from master to legend instead of having to score 70 rounds under 61, I'm still missing about 60.

I do admire legends....tho only the ones that keeps scoring low & winning official tournaments; the money makers, they are the real legends in my book.

Btw, those are the ones who probably would beat the *** out of me or any master without a doubt!!! .....lol

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Mar 7 2011 2:15 PM

LOLserver:
    all of the rest is just boring conversation.

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Mon, Mar 7 2011 2:25 PM

SweetiePie:

LOLserver:
    all of the rest is just boring conversation.

LOLserver:

I do admire legends....tho only the ones that keeps scoring low & winning official tournaments; the money makers, they are the real legends in my book.

You are centainly not one of them & you will never be, lady.

• MrDonVito
    472 Posts
    Mon, Mar 7 2011 2:29 PM

I am a master and just beat a legend 3UP over 18 holes at STA. Furthermore, I did it from legend tees. In other words, " A master CAN beat a legend in match play". Stop complaining and start practicing.

RSS