Forums

Help › Forums

How average is a players average score

rated by 0 users
Sat, Aug 6 2011 4:33 AM (22 replies)
  • GreyMack
    60 Posts
    Tue, Apr 12 2011 10:11 AM

I'm sure this has been asked before so please forgive me if I'm regurgitating an old topic. It's a quick question on a players average score.

I turned master a few weeks back and for a while my average score fluctuated, but now it's only heading one way and that's down.
    The trouble is I don't feel my game or scoring has improved that much recently but because my average score is no longer going up it seems like no matter what I score it goes down for example I had a nightmare 9 holes at oakmont and scored a +5 my average still went down all be it by a small margin.

Maybe I'm being over cynical here but at the back of mind my spidy senses tell me this is because WGT want our scores to continually fall so we go up tiers and have to buy bigger and better clubs.

Bottom line...............how can an average score be an average score when it only counts your better rounds?

• Steelers75
    239 Posts
    Tue, Apr 12 2011 10:54 AM

Whenever you change tiers you average counter resets.  You average is still based on a set number of your good rounds.  However, now that your master that number has gone up.  Chances are that your bad round moved up a better round hence lowering your average.

• GreyMack
    60 Posts
    Tue, Apr 12 2011 11:37 AM

Cheers steelers but the question still stands how can it be an average score when at a set point it stops counting bad rounds, maybe i'm not understanding it correctly but it seems it's set to go down and no other way.

• Steelers75
    239 Posts
    Tue, Apr 12 2011 12:55 PM

You're correct.  However, that set point changes when you change tiers.  Your average will go up or down until you hit the new set point for your average computation.  Then it'll just go down as you have good rounds.  Since a not so good round lowered your average a bit that means you had a better round that didn't count towards your average that now counts due to the new set point.  This should only happen another time or two then bad rounds will start to raise your average.  In the end, it did count the round.  You just had a better one available when you changed tiers that was included in your average calculation until you reach the higher set point.

Hope this helps.

• GreyMack
    60 Posts
    Wed, Apr 13 2011 4:48 AM

I think i understand it now but it seems like it's a system thats heavily weighted one way.

What was the reason for not counting all games played? After all when we select a scoring or ranked match we know it should count towards our average and for me it's the only way to get a genuine average score.

• Gry101
    8 Posts
    Fri, Apr 15 2011 6:09 PM

Steel and I went Legend really close to each other, within a day or so. I have been tracking my average score and I am right on. I just finished my 100th ranked scored round. I am going to see this weekend if that is the magic number or not. I will let you know.

Gry

• Gry101
    8 Posts
    Fri, Apr 15 2011 8:02 PM

Well, I just posted round number 101, and my average still went up. Not sure I want to keep up this test...

Gry

• MioKontic
    4,643 Posts
    Sat, Apr 16 2011 1:45 AM

From what I have read, the average stops going up after a while as a way to stop sandbagging, otherwise there would be players who would constantaly put in bad rounds in order to increase their average and so stay at  a low tier but with the best equipment.

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Sat, Apr 16 2011 5:46 AM

GreyMack:
    What was the reason for not counting all games played? After all when we select a scoring or ranked match we know it should count towards our average and for me it's the only way to get a genuine average score.

The reason is simple.  It doesn't allow a player to artificially inflate their average to remain in a specific tier.   Previously players would shoot well in a ready go, then go out and boost their average in a regular ranked round to avoid advancement.   Now a bad score does not effect your average so it has eliminated this issue to some degree.  Now players just avoid playing ranked stroke play rounds.

Cheers,

b0gey

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sat, Apr 16 2011 12:34 PM

Gry101:

Well, I just posted round number 101, and my average still went up. Not sure I want to keep up this test...

Gry

I've mentioned this in other posts before, but since you are not the only Legend I've heard this from, could it be that Legend averages are "true" averages?

I mean there would be no reason a Legend could benefit/sandbag from a high average?

RSS