Forums

Help › Forums

open scoring..Royal St Georges

Tue, Jun 14 2011 2:30 AM (119 replies)
  • Heisman12
    102 Posts
    Wed, Jun 8 2011 7:03 PM

theMuttsnutts:
    So... do you have a driver I could borrow b0gey?

Wish I could, but I don't think you'd find that to be the solution.  

I just played my second game there.  Putter was on fire and I was 11 under through 13 until I got metered on 14 and took a triple bogey because I didn't play the rescue right and ended up going into the drink.  Still, a 62 second time out means that scores are going to be very low here, under these conditions.

One other thought: there are those who can't or won't buy better equipment.  I wonder if those people ever thought to thank those of us who are spending money and keeping WGT practically free for them?

• Jerm65
    1,413 Posts
    Wed, Jun 8 2011 9:16 PM

Definitely an easy set-up for qualifying.  I'd say it's a max of 57 to make the cut...and probably even lower than that (55 maybe?).

I just fired off a 58 my first time through the course.  With no restarts, no warmup, and I spent the entire front 9 chatting on the phone.  I did need to make a couple of 15-18 foot putts for that score, but I also left myself 3 or 4 tap-in pars, and hit 2 flagsticks, so could have been better still.

Not bad for a journeyman, but the best players will destroy this course.

In it's present incarnation anyway.....

• oneeyedjohn
    9,571 Posts
    Wed, Jun 8 2011 10:37 PM

I would really like to witness someone shooting in the fifties with my own eyes.

I admire good golf real or virtual, so if any of you superstars would like me for company when you shoot so low , plse invite me along , I'll gift you some nice balls for the privilege.

Serious request.

1 eye

• TarheelsRule
    5,551 Posts
    Wed, Jun 8 2011 11:07 PM

Well I'm not a superstar but I did come in with a 59 on my third try after restarting a couple of times between.  

Can't guarantee a sub 60 round but under low winds I can probably hit low 60's most of the time.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Thu, Jun 9 2011 12:02 AM

I played the course just after it came in...shot a 62 with a bogey (brain fade...lol)  and a few birdie chances missed, which I think is pretty good for me, but I must admit the low winds were very kind to me at the time. Hate to play it in Heavy winds. Cut is going to be in the 50's for sure. I think the course is great and is easier than Congressional, that's if you stay on the fairways.

Cheers

Roger

• wildcat18racing6
    420 Posts
    Thu, Jun 9 2011 3:11 AM

With the wind being low and the greens rolling very nicely, low scores will be easy. If you stay out of trouble and manage the course right a 57 or lower will be an easy score to get. I do not even think 57 will get you into the tournament (hope it does). And for the people who say the course is too long or too tough for them......Do you see the PGA or USGA making their conditions easier for people who can't drive far or can't read putts well? NO.   So, read all the tips on the forum, upgrade your clubs if needed, learn to hit your long irons, learn to read putts well and just shut up and learn the game better.

• oneeyedjohn
    9,571 Posts
    Thu, Jun 9 2011 3:16 AM

Dunno who you are talking to wildcat18racing6 but I'll remember not to bother hooking up wiv You, thats for sure.

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Thu, Jun 9 2011 3:21 AM

oneeyedjohn:

Dunno who you are talking to wildcat18racing6 but I'll remember not to bother hooking up wiv You, thats for sure.

Pity, wildcat has shown elsewhere on these forums what a good bloke he is. He's more than willing to help others out.

• Jerm65
    1,413 Posts
    Thu, Jun 9 2011 6:15 AM

I don't think wildcat was referring to you with his comments, 1 eye.

I think they're directed at the folks who assume that any good score must have been the result of using less-than-honourable methods.

Trust me, it gets really monotonous reading all the posts that say it's IMPOSSIBLE to shoot below a certain score without cheating (a common number = 60).  It's also insulting when you've personally shot a score equal to, or better than that, and you know you did it completely on the level.

Wildcat was simply reiterating to these people that yes, it is indeed possible.  But, as with most things, it takes both skill and practice.  Lots and lots and lots of practice.

I agree with tiffer....wildcat's definitely one of the "good guys" on here, and I've personally witnessed his generosity towards others.

My suggestion? 

Apologize for the slight misunderstanding, buy each other a pint, and enjoy a round with him if he's willing.

• wildcat18racing6
    420 Posts
    Thu, Jun 9 2011 7:55 AM

Just one pint? hell, lets drink a bunch of pints and laugh about it all lol. And by the way guys...thanks. And just to show no hard feelings with anyone, first one to respond to me who needs a longer driver will get it for free.

RSS