Forums

Help › Forums

Big Brother

Thu, Oct 6 2011 3:59 AM (164 replies)
  • Yappy22
    733 Posts
    Sat, Aug 6 2011 6:35 PM

You know I was a wonder-en why the Snake has bitten anybody in awhile. Maybe he's in the slammer to.

• PeterHopper
    1,315 Posts
    Sat, Aug 6 2011 6:55 PM

thebigeasy707:

Noun

compromisation (plural compromisations)

1. The act of compromising

Indeed there is buddy...or at least there is in the English dictionary :)

TBE

Good for finding that TBE. 

I wouldn't trust your wiki source though. No other dictionary can find it.

Indeed, the OED the Oxford English Dictionary which describes itself as the definitive gouide to the English language states '

No dictionary entries found for ‘compromisation’.

http://photo.pds.org:5004/noresults?browseType=sortAlpha&noresults=true&page=1&pageSize=20&q=compromisation&scope=ENTRY&sort=entry&type=dictionarysearch

The known nouns in common use would be 'compromise' or at a push 'compromisal'.

The wiki entries offer only that supposed definition. In fact you may have used the word for only the second time in history after the person who invented that Wiki entry.

Fairly interesting all the same.

• LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Sun, Aug 7 2011 1:44 AM

Well so to be fair, we all are once in a while subject to a little hamartithia and indeed, there would be a rare person indeed who had never suffered lethalogica to some degree or other. However, rather than dissention and detraction over a way of dephlogisticating something which may or may not  be filipendulous, should we not all, as we would wish Wgt to be over the original purpose of this thread, allow a certain thelemicism to reign here?

And as for the jumentos official reply, well.

Now shake hands you two, and leave the weird words to Baggy and I...

Lizzie xx

• LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Sun, Aug 7 2011 1:47 AM

Uh oh. Baggy and me.

Or else I will have Mio on my case for bad grammar.

Oh wait.

He can't.

Lizzie xx

• LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Sun, Aug 7 2011 5:34 AM

LizzieRossetti:
    and leave the weird words to Baggy and I...

LizzieRossetti:

Uh oh. Baggy and me.

Or else I will have Mio on my case for bad grammar.

Oh wait.

He can't.

Lizzie xx

Too right I'd be on your case!!!

Received from Mio from another source. A top secret one that no one knows about.

Lizzie/Mio

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sun, Aug 7 2011 9:16 AM

LizzieRossetti:

Well so to be fair, we all are once in a while subject to a little hamartithia and indeed, there would be a rare person indeed who had never suffered lethalogica to some degree or other. However, rather than dissention and detraction over a way of dephlogisticating something which may or may not  be filipendulous, should we not all, as we would wish Wgt to be over the original purpose of this thread, allow a certain thelemicism to reign here?

And as for the jumentos official reply, well.

Now shake hands you two, and leave the weird words to Baggy and I...

Lizzie xx

After completing my pandiculation this morning I came upon this wonderful hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian post.

Thank you Lizzie!  I too suffer from lethalogica at times.

• PeterHopper
    1,315 Posts
    Sun, Aug 7 2011 10:07 AM

Lizzie,

What is your view on the word 'compromisation'?

• LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Sun, Aug 7 2011 11:20 AM

I have to admit when I first read the word, it jarred, but not in a bad way, rather because the context had already been established and adding "ation" was somewhat unnecessary since the intent was already in place.

Whilst this particular word does not yet appear in the definitions given by the OED, this does not however mean, that the word either has no meaning, or cannot exist. The OED is and always has been open to new words, derivatives and definitions pertaining to existing words, indeed in the very beginning, the team then working on collating and editing grossly underestimated the time they felt it would take to complete. It was realised then as now, that the English language was a constantly evolving entity, many of the words and work on the words coming at that time from a single source, namely a recluse who more or less filled every room in his house with the equivilant of sticky notes for later dissemination. In this respect, perhaps TBE can be considered an innovator before the fact. Either that or he can apply to have his word entered into the Lizzie lexicon.

The suffix appended to the word is not in itself unusual and neither is the new word itself given current idiomatic  progress, with words such as Burglarize to replace burgle, and Bombify to replace Bomb, making their way into common usage for example.

The point made then, that this word does not have verifiable fact to support its' usage, must therefore stand, but it would be churlish to attempt criminalisation based upon such slender a thread as we have before us.

Therefore I submit that we strive for a compromisation of Mios' criminalisation  with the utmost perspicacity.

Lizzie xx

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Sun, Aug 7 2011 11:27 AM

LizzieRossetti:
    The OED is and always has been open to new words, derivatives and definitions pertaining to existing words, indeed in the very beginning, the team then working on collating and editing grossly underestimated the time they felt it would take to complete.

It's all about Plushdamentals!

• PeterHopper
    1,315 Posts
    Sun, Aug 7 2011 11:42 AM

Thank you Lizzie.

Alt game sometime soon with you know who.

H

RSS