Forums

Help › Forums

concede distance, and proper protocol.

rated by 0 users
Fri, Sep 6 2013 6:29 AM (20 replies)
  • lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Thu, Aug 25 2011 9:36 PM
    just finished an abreviatted alternate shot round where the biggest topic of concern was how long or short should the putt be before the opposition concededs the putt. my part of the conversation was, everyone has a choice as to when and if to concede, not as an established agreement, and if so it should be done well in advance of the 1st green. i can see great advantages to speeding up play with a generouse concede putt, hole policy, as you might do in a round with well known friends. otherwise i see no real advantage. i have seen masters miss 1 foot putts, or less on StA#2, and several other tuff holes on bethpage and oakmont. am i out of place here? please intelligent comments only.
  • suncity28
    1,266 Posts
    Thu, Aug 25 2011 9:46 PM

No real rule in place.

Most of the time if a putt is conceded is 2ft & under. Can sometimes be faster to putt it then wait for the player to concede.

But really it comes down to the players you are playing with or against , for example if i am playing MP against a very good player ill concede putts up to 3ft as I know he/she not going to miss it why mess about move to the next hole. But if I am playing against some1 who can not putt ill make them putt it out over 2ft under ill concede.

Really comes down to the player what distance he/she decides to concede

• JuanMendoza
    469 Posts
    Thu, Aug 25 2011 9:48 PM

When you think they won't miss....

• Dianne81
    773 Posts
    Thu, Aug 25 2011 10:01 PM

Im pretty generous on concedes when playing 1on 1 On a easy straight putt, Ill concede 4fts,  If Im more than 1 up, I may concede 5-6ft putts if I know they are straight and all second putts ( even if you run it 15ft past hole, Ill concede it to keep you from having a chance at 3putt.

On tough putts like pin high on 15 bethpage though, you are putting anything over 2ft  lol

When I'm playing alt shot its a little different as you dont want to piss off a partner by giving lots of generous concedes and then lose the match.  Personally,  I never ask for concedes.  I setup and try to make everything ( even rush on the short ones to try to beat them conceding just for sport. 

But I will generally even with a partner, I'll give everything inside of 3-4ft  unless its for them to WIN the hole  or match ( then just concede  anything under 2ft)

I know Im pretty complicated and it would be hard to type all the my rules ahead of time. So if they give it, yay, if not , no worries, Ill still give them a 4 ft putt even if they make me putt my 1.2 footers.

• stevenharkin
    1,921 Posts
    Fri, Aug 26 2011 2:20 AM

i have seen masters miss 1 foot putts

me a so called legend has missed many a putts from 2 inches..easy done on quick greens, especially as your so angry your first putt has just missed by a hair !!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Aug 26 2011 4:45 AM

Personally, I'd rather not win by my op getting lazy on a tap in  or worse, metered. Yeah, that's the game but still..... Spyder owners will putt everything.  :-D

• frappefort
    3,994 Posts
    Fri, Aug 26 2011 12:41 PM

i in alternate game will ask on the first hole if we conced...if the players says yes i usuely ask 3footer ok and most time there is no prob ...yes it does speed up the game a lot...and wen playing a lower tier player it does not hurt to help them out by being generus..it makes them feel good about there game ........i was a hack like all players enjoied playing the good player then .........they would conced many putts to make me feel part of the game ..it helps (excuse miss spelling)

• Boomerboy44
    1,514 Posts
    Fri, Aug 26 2011 1:55 PM

stevenharkin:

i have seen masters miss 1 foot putts

me a so called legend has missed many a putts from 2 inches..easy done on quick greens, especially as your so angry your first putt has just missed by a hair !!

You really have missed putts from 2 inches as a Legend..???

• jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Fri, Aug 26 2011 2:51 PM

Boomerboy44:
    You really have missed putts from 2 inches as a Legend..???

Missed them as a hack, missed them as a amateur, missed as a TM, and as a Legend, almost assuredly BECAUSE they were only a couple of inches.

I've never actually seen what it was that caused those misses, but i'd say it was mostly lack of attention-_ probably hit too hard, or ridiculously early/late.

• frappefort
    3,994 Posts
    Fri, Aug 26 2011 6:28 PM

i miss more 2 inches putts; once a week avarage .........same reasons you have mentioned on your post   i my case nervous .for  nothing  most time lack of attention and beers

RSS