Forums

Help › Forums

concede distance, and proper protocol.

rated by 0 users
Fri, Sep 6 2013 6:29 AM (20 replies)
  • stevenharkin
    1,921 Posts
    Sat, Aug 27 2011 7:56 AM

yeah i can count on 2 hands the amount of times ive missed putts from 2inches...just hit 2 hard!!

• gsoup
    2,929 Posts
    Sat, Aug 27 2011 10:35 AM

stevenharkin:
    i have seen masters miss 1 foot putts

I never remember playing with you, jeeez dont even know you and you make a reference to my cantfrigginputtworthadamnitis

TYNM

-G

lmao

• axstrat
    415 Posts
    Sat, Aug 27 2011 10:57 AM

In the realm of players I generally play with 2 feet is the "give me" accepted rule of thumb.  But i  will always ask if we are conceding and at what distance  before anyone makes it on the green.  To me personally I really dont care if we concede or not.

Last nite in an alt. match  i was 2" from the hole and opposing player forgot to concede and went to putt and got "metered" and missed it  ,  so even the short taps can be missed.:)

• DrussTheLegend
    1,043 Posts
    Sat, Aug 27 2011 11:34 AM

Dianne81:
    So if they give it, yay, if not , no worries, Ill still give them a 4 ft putt even if they make me putt my 1.2 footers.

Dianne81's says it perfectly - concede whatever you think is right, and dont get bummed out if someone does not concede what you consider to be a Concedable Putt.  And dont *** about it - no one likes a whiner.  

• Jimbo555
    158 Posts
    Sat, Aug 27 2011 7:15 PM

IRL you try to concede as many short putts as you can, so when the time comes to make a shortish tester with the match on the line, your opponent might not have the confidence to make that 4- 5 footer because he hasnt made one the whole round.

As far as WGT goes...anything goes. Your call.  Plenty of reasons have already been mentioned.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sat, Aug 27 2011 8:09 PM

I Thinks there is an award you can get for missing very short Putts.. not sure about that,  but if there is, then it's extra bonus points when you get em..

Anyway... I usually give anything in the 2ft or under range,  St.A#2 or any Oak greens, I think of not giving putts, but most of the time I do.

I think the 'Concede Putt' can bring in more anger within a group, than it's really worth. I understand that it speeds the game up, like if the other team is on the 6th shot and your team is going for Bird...then concede is good, but anything else I think we all should putt out. I would always Concede anyway... except for the 'win the match putt'.

Sometimes, I would concede, concede, concede then not concede, which causes the other person to miss...mind games...lol, but that's cruel.

Cheers

Roger

• golfentwilly
    158 Posts
    Sat, Aug 27 2011 9:06 PM

never cocede on #2 st ann.lol

• stlpedro
    1 Posts
    Wed, Sep 4 2013 4:53 PM

Some guy got really mad at me the other day because I refused to agree to concede all putts of 2 feet or less at the beginning of an AS match.  I am not going to agree to a hard and fast "concede all putts under 2 feet" rule.  In general, I am very generous with the cc putts, and I have never had anyone complain that I was being unreasonable.  But if the other guy is a lousy putter, or its a tough breaker, or if the putt is to win an important hole or win the match, I may make the other guy putt it.  And I am not going to promise to cc and then go back on my word later in the match.  This guy got so angry with me he quit.  I told him to wait until I unreasonably withheld a cc to get mad, but it made no difference to him. 

Really it comes down to this, taking the meter issues out of it, if you can't make the putt, why should I give it to you?  And if you can make the putt, the gimme is meaningless.

I understand the speeding up of the game, though.

• Slowwedge
    143 Posts
    Thu, Sep 5 2013 6:51 AM

I believe the concede option to be a part of the mental game in matchplay...........so my opinion is:   Concede by common sense....

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Fri, Sep 6 2013 6:07 AM

stlpedro:
    guy got really mad at me the other day because I refused to agree to concede all putts of 2 feet

Hope you offered a handkerchief and promised to shed tears on the opposite corner.

stlpedro:
    I am very generous with the cc putts

So am I.  It's all out there though.  Most folks are reasonable but when you get the jerk let em whine and add to their fire is the best way I find LOL

RSS