Forums

Help › Forums

2010 WMPL Champion: werksux!!

Fri, Jul 9 2010 12:41 PM (326 replies)
  • pricehcs
    288 Posts
    Fri, Jun 18 2010 8:23 AM

Congrats to Werk and Cool, and to Bollie and Lee as well.  I couldn't help but notice how well our country club is represented :p.  GL 2 u both - hope the match is as great as the semi's were!

• coolswing
    1,017 Posts
    Fri, Jun 18 2010 9:12 AM

Thanks to my fellow CC Club mates B, werk and price for your nice wishes.  Congrats to werk on your excellent win and I look forward to our game in the final match this week.  Also congrats to B, Lee and Price for making it to the playoff, you guys are great players and you showed that with the excellent results in this tourney.  it's been an awesome experience for me to have the chance to play with a group of such skillful  players and nice guys and I hope to have the chance to play in more tourneys like this in the near future. :-)

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sat, Jun 19 2010 11:40 PM

- THE WMPL CHAMPIONSHIP WEEK IS FINALLY HERE!! -

- 2010 WMPL Playoff Bracket (Updated 6/20/10!) -

Wow.  What can I say really?  For me this has been nearly a year's worth of work, preparation, planning and execution, but I've enjoyed it every step of the way.  I can't even begin to express how excited I am to see it finally culminate in the league championship match, our 267th and final match of the season.

The WMPL began this great run all the way back on January 4th, 2010 with the first week of pre-season qualifying.  We started out with 86 players vying for 32 spots and over the next 4 weeks the shape of the WMPL took hold.  Those 32 qualifiers then battled it out over the next 16 weeks in a total of 256 matches to reduce the original field of 32 players down to a mere 12 playoff contenders.  In the last 3 weeks 10 of those 12 contenders were eliminated one by one.

And now we sit, nearly 5 and a half months later, perched on the precipice of the league's biggest stage.  The WMPL Championship. 

For the players involved it's a been long and grueling season to reach this point.  Many ups and downs were had along the way and now a mere 36-holes stands between these two masterful players and a WMPL Championship.  After coming this far you know both players are looking for just the right way to cap off a great season, but as we know all too well, there can only be one.  Who will have the stamina to grind it out one more time, avoid the pressure and walk away a Champion?

The 2010 WMPL Championship is on and it doesn't get any bigger than this!

-vs-    

werksux (14 - 5)         coolswing (15 - 3)

National Conference Champion werksux will go head to head against International Conference Champion coolswing in an epic 36-hole finale at the venerable Oakmont Country Club!  The winning player will forever be enshrined in the title of this thread and will be crowned the first ever World Match Play League Champion!

The 36-hole finale will be played under the following neutral conditions:

First 18: White Tees, Heavy Winds, Fast Greens

Second 18: Blue Tees, Moderate Winds, Very Fast Greens

Since coolswing is the honorary "highest" seed remaining in the playoffs, he will send the invite to get the first 18 match started.

I want to personally wish werksux and coolswing the best of luck this week and I hope anyone who has been following this thread can find a spare second to wish these two tremendous competitors well.  They both deserve it!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stay tuned for WMPL Championship results and watch this post for updates!

• Zippy-Pivot
    257 Posts
    Sun, Jun 20 2010 11:56 PM

WOW!! Thats why the matches are played!! Gonna be a thriller!! Good luck to the both of ya! The Jamaican Momma sends her best....................from the Thistle Hut!

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Wed, Jun 23 2010 12:02 AM

- IT'S ALL OVER!! -

- Final 2010 WMPL Playoff Bracket (Updated 6/23/2010)-

-  Congratulations to your World Match Play League Champion werksux who has defeated International Conference Champion coolswing 4 & 2 in an epic 36-hole finale at Oakmont Country Club!

-  Both players played well and the match never got out of hand at any point.  A worthy finish from these two great competitors and a great conclusion to the season!

Please take a brief second to congratulate werksux and coolswing on their tremendous seasons and for playing a great championship match.

That's all folks!  The 2010 WMPL Season has drawn to a close and we have crowned werksux as our champion!  Thank you to all of the players who came out for the qualifiers and especially to those who played this season.  When I started this competition I must admit that I had my doubts about how successful a 6-month long league would be, but you guys have made this completely worth it.  I'm glad that I stuck with it and I'm glad that this event has provided you all with some extracurricular entertainment here on WGT.  I love running these events and especially love to hear your compliments.  I don't know if this will be my last community tournament or not, so just in case it is I want to make sure you guys know how much I have appreciated your support in all of my tournaments.  Thank you all for making these events so successful and I'm glad you guys enjoyed it! =)

Until next time....

• villadeoro
    419 Posts
    Wed, Jun 23 2010 2:09 AM

Congrats to WERKSUS for your incredible victory.  You play a very good tournament where   beat at #1, #2 of USA and #1 of INTERNATIONALS. We have a really good first champion of WMPL he´s name WERKSUS

• coolswing
    1,017 Posts
    Wed, Jun 23 2010 5:20 AM

Congrats to werksux for winning the WMPL, you just played an excellent match in the final and certainly is the worthy Champion.

Here's a brief recap of the match:

1st Round of 18 on Oakmont - White Tees, fast green & high wind

I literally blasted off the starting block and took a lead of 3 up after 5 holes with 4 birdies ! However werksux over came the early nerves and he steadied himself very well by winning the 6th and held me off for the remaining holes of the front 9.  werksux then got his A game together and went on to win the 10, 11, 13 and 15 and wrestled the lead back his way by 2 up.  It was then that I had some problems with disconnection and so we stopped at the 16th at this stage.

Starting the back 9 again we then proceeded to complete the remaining holes all squared after I'd missed 2 short putts to even things up !

2nd Round of 18 on Oakmont - Blue Tees, very fast green and moderate wind

I came in to this round knowing that I need to make a move and even things up otherwise it'd be much harder later on.  I hit some good shots and made the putts for birds and won some holes.  The problem was that every time I'd won a hole my opponent would played even better the next hole to win it back !  After making 4 birdies in the first 7 holes I found myself still 2 holes behind and eventually werksux just wore me down when i made a bogie  from the edge of green on the 8th hole.  

Starting the last 9 holes I'm now 3 holes behind and i was determined to catch up and make a match of it.  After I'd won the 10th werksux came right back again with a good bird on 11th.  A missed short putt gave me the 12th hole but a bad tee shot and a well played par saw werksux took the 13th hole ! It was just great golf and consistent play by werksux and he solid as a wall every time I'd put him under pressure, I think the entire last round he only missed 2 makeable putts and they weren't easy I can tell you !  My last effort to win a hole was on the 16th when I missed a relatively short putt for bird to match werksux so that was the end ! 

All in all it was a fantastic match of the highest quality golf i've seen in any of the matches i've had in this great tourney.  werksux fully deserved to win the match and the tourney and I congrats him again for his wonderful performances through out the tourney.

I'd like to thanks all my old friends and the new friends I've made in this tourney. I really treasure the memory of every match which I played with each one of you, and I have saved all the scorecards to keep in my ever growing WGT career diary just to show how much I enjoyed it all ! You guys are just great friends and real tough competitors as well as being real gentlemen and I'd love to have the chance to hang out and play with you all again.

Lastly but not least important I'd like to say a great big thanks to nivlac for all his effort and hard work as well as his marvelous vision in setting up this tourney.  Speaking for everyone I must say we all truly miss him as a player, a friend and a great member in this community.  You da man niv ! :-)

• werksux
    241 Posts
    Wed, Jun 23 2010 6:49 AM

Hmmm, where to start!  1st off what an awesome tourney, helluva job nivlac herding all of us cats into some sort of organized chaos, kudos to you man.  Guess I'll just have to run down the list of my thanks.

Up next, CKiniry, been one of my WGT buds for a while now, played lots of matches against him.  Before I even really looked at the forums he was the one that urged me to try out for this WIMPLE thingy.  He's also where I've gotten a lot of practice, so thanks Chris.

Next, the WGT IRC chatroom gang, there's always a good competetive match to be had in there, tough competition & good people that'll share some of the secrets/ strategies of the game.  Oh and they'll also give you their super top secret software that makes you hit the ding every time, turn off the wind, and sink all of your putts.  Like everyone suspects we all cheat our asses off to hold 60 & sub 60 averages.  ;)

3rd, my playoff opponents: ckiniry, kosei82, and bolloxinbruges, classy group of folks.  No where along the way was there anything but support & well wishes from the guys I had to beat to get there, hats off to all of ya, true (ok, online maybe) sportsmen.  BB, just so ya know I was terrified to piss you off by losing in the final after taking you out of the running, you're a helluva motivator man.

Last but certainly not least CoolSwing.  Great opponent, doesn't know the word quit, and another solid sportsman.  We had a good time playing our match (between the disconnects, slow loads, & meter spazzes that come with playing Oakmont).  Was very enjoyable hanging out with you for a few rounds & hope we get hooked up for a few more from time to time.  If cool had played the whole tourney like he played the extra holes we had to REPLAY to get back to where we left off I think we might have been lookig at another champ.

Thanks again to Niv, everyone that played the league, & all the kind words & support during the tourney.

Obligatory over used you're all winners in my book line: You're all winners in my book!

Oh yea, GO TEAM USA & The Deviations Country Club really showed up for this one.

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Wed, Jun 23 2010 7:43 AM

Let me be the firsyt to offer my Congrats to Jason (werk) .... Unreal accomplishment knocking off some of the very top players on WGT to claim the title.    I look forward to seeing how he does on a real golf course when we meet up on July 6th in Dallas.    

Hey Niv .. if I beat the WMPL champ in real golf can I claim 1/2 the title ???

:) .. nice job Chimp, Chump, CHAMP

• pricehcs
    288 Posts
    Wed, Jun 23 2010 10:03 AM

Congrats  werk - well done.  Awesome recap cool - congrats to you as well.  Long live the champ!

RSS