Forums

Help › Forums

% putts made from 25 - 50ft stats?

Sun, Dec 26 2021 6:08 PM (75 replies)
  • DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Fri, Dec 24 2021 4:25 PM

SamSpayed:
    Thank you for providing that link, Hamden 🍾  I hope that settles the discussion.

Lol

• HamdenPro
    2,468 Posts
    Fri, Dec 24 2021 4:33 PM

OK, now, so, obviously, no more need to discuss.

I am sure, when it all boils down to it, YOU ARE ALL WRONG...

Why, and how, you may ask...

Because the stats are faulty. 

Maybe we should start another thread to discuss this issue at further length, say 4 years from now. I will be able to send everyone both the past link and this one.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sat, Dec 25 2021 2:35 AM

HamdenPro:
    OK, now, so, obviously, no more need to discuss.

It's always so nice when people say that sort of thing rather than just leave a thread alone, it could have been over after three posts :-)

I had a look and there are many threads on these stats in this one  a mod recommends reading this for the answer.

• Yiannis1970
    3,284 Posts
    Sat, Dec 25 2021 4:08 AM

The things about stats for me are quite clear. From the moment we use simple mathematics to understand and interpret the results given, we need to stick to this method. If we take the numbers, that do not make sense and afterwards we are trying arbitrary to create a mathematical logic behind, it's just a wrong way...

From the stats, we some references, for instance total numbers of putts. A simple mathematical logic dictates that if we add all our putts, we should end up with the total number of putts. Is this happening? No, definitely no.

Same logic with percentages. If the total amount of putts represent 100% of putting, the addition of the various percentages should be giving us 100%. Is this happening? No, definitely no.

On the other hand, the percentages on first, second, third, hundredth putt are spot on. If we add these percentages, we get a nice 100%.

In few words after reading nivlac's post, we can't be taking some arbitrary numbers, sum them up and trying to make a mathematical reason behind them in order to justify the final outcome which makes no sense. The numbers are there. If they don't correspond to mathematical formulas to prove them right, are definitely wrong....simple as that. 

PS

Apart the percentages in putting, you can take a look as well if the numbers of the putts correspond or at least make some sense, with the total albatrosses, eagles, birdies, pars, bogeys, double bogeys, and so on...(for the sake of hypothesis, consider that all of them were made as putts...i know it's wrong but for the sake of it, just do it and see what it comes up...:)

• MioKontic
    4,643 Posts
    Sat, Dec 25 2021 4:28 AM

I agree the answers may be clear, but my point was that they are still only speculation, no one from WGT actually chimed in to say yay or nay.  But no matter, I never bother looking at the stats anyway.

• HamdenPro
    2,468 Posts
    Sat, Dec 25 2021 7:09 AM

DodgyPutter:
    It's always so nice when people say that sort of thing rather than just leave a thread alone

I agree with you Dodgy, 100%, should've left the thread alone.

I will also say the same thing about your reply  :-)

It's always so nice when people say that sort of thing rather than just leave the reply to a thread, that should have been left alone, alone.

I suggest we both learn to ignore threads that should be left alone. LOL

MERRY CHRISTMAS ...

• pmm711
    5,641 Posts
    Sat, Dec 25 2021 9:11 AM

If Henry would chime in then we'd all know the correct answer. ;-/

• SamSpayed
    4,998 Posts
    Sat, Dec 25 2021 9:59 AM

Yiannis1970:

If the total amount of putts represent 100% of putting, the addition of the various percentages should be giving us 100%. Is this happening? No, definitely no.

Agreed.  To illustrate:

The %s in the red box should (ideally) add up to 100%.  They don't, which I think is what was throwing us all off during this discussion... leading to theories and speculation and misinformation.  

I think if WGT had included a stat called % Putts Missed (which, in this case, would be 33.05%), it would all be more clear.  The stats in the red box would then add up to 100%.

• HamdenPro
    2,468 Posts
    Sat, Dec 25 2021 10:28 AM

SamSpayed:
    The %s in the red box should (ideally) add up to 100%.  They don't, which I think is what was throwing us all off during this discussion

Is it not possible that the terminology WGT used is misleading and the stat is correct?

What if the stat read:

% Putts attempted and made from 0 - 5 Feet .....

So, in the stats above, out of all the putts attempted at 0 - 5 feet, 46.84% were made.

If this was the case, the total would not necessarily add up to 100%. 

• ScottHope
    10,339 Posts
    Sat, Dec 25 2021 10:44 AM

If you didn't hole 100% of your putts from 0 - 5ft you'd never move onto the next hole.

RSS