Forums

Help › Forums

Resolution....one more (last) time.

Fri, Oct 25 2024 6:06 AM (1 replies)
  • Yiannis1970
    3,288 Posts
    Wed, Oct 23 2024 10:16 PM

I salute the whole WGT community. I have brought up this subject to WGT's attention many many times all these years, unfortunately, with no luck whatsoever. So, i will try one more last time...

The resolution of the game is exactly the same for the last 17 years. It's 1024 x 768. We know already that Kia's first raw images had a 5K resolution (probably in 4:3 aspect ratio). The above means that newer courses like Wolf Creek or PGA must be something like 20 or 30K (probably in 16:9 aspect ratio).

First of all, i would like to be crystal clear with my post!!

I don't ask to be given a 10K or 20K resolution cause it would be useless either way. If you drop a 20K or a 40K resolution image on your monitor (any monitor) the result will be visually the same (cause the monitor or the GPU will downscale the content to its native resolution). Furthermore, an image with such high resolution will result in many many mega bytes, so, considering the fact that we are talking about thousands of pictures, WGT would had to change all the servers cause the bandwidth would be tremendously high. Hence, we leave that option out.

By the time the first images of Kia appeared back in 2007, many people were still using CRT monitors with low native resolutions (800 x 600 or 1024 x 768). Nowadays, the gaming standard has overtaken even the 1080p resolution!! Most of the games are being played at 1080, 1440 or 2160p since the monitor technology has evolved so fast and so much.

I get to my point...all other games out there are 99,99% CGI games. The games become more demanding (intentionally of course) and people goes and buy new PCs, new GPUs in order to have a pleasant experience by playing their favorite game. WGT has an edge here!! Cause the CGI addition is minimal and the game play is based on photos which means less bandwidth and people can enjoy playing the game even with a 15 year old CPU or GPU. This is very important!! We don't need to change every couple of years our systems. The game is running just fine even with a Core2duo.

So...from 2007 till now, it has been 17 years. As everything else in technology evolves, so do the methods of compression. Today, the algorithms of compression (and i am not even talking about AI...) are doing wonders!! They can give you x4 times the resolution with the same size. WGT won't have to change anything on their servers. All it has to do is recompress the images using modern tools, in order for us to enjoy a 2K real image. (to be precise, won't be 2K but close)

So, please WGT, consider what i propose and give us at least a 1440 x 1080 for the old courses and a 1920 x 1080 for the new ones. It's such a shame to have in your hands a course like PGA and playing at 1024 x 768 in 2024 with all that blur. If you give us a real 1080 pic of the course, will be a jaw dropping.

One last thing...if you decide to go that route, is not necessary at all for the meter to be a railway like it is now on the pseudo 1920 x 1080 resolution.

Thanks for reading the post (just in case).

• Yiannis1970
    3,288 Posts
    Fri, Oct 25 2024 6:06 AM

RSS