Forums

Help › Forums

Shot Shaping

Fri, Feb 24 2012 5:25 PM (41 replies)
  • TesLa33
    109 Posts
    Thu, Feb 23 2012 2:23 AM

JeffSpicoli1:
    you can very easily shape shots my doing what i said. 

Only by playing the wind. If there was zero wind this tactic wouldn't be effective.

However, i've found that it works well on the greens. I can't remember the last time that I intentionally dinged a putt.

• LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Thu, Feb 23 2012 3:18 AM

I ding every single shot, have never missed a single ding. I am pretty good at this game and when I began, I recognised that the ding was there for a reason, therefore it made perfect sense to hit it.

To shape my shots I use sand pits, fescue, trees, deep rough, weeds, water, because thats why they are are there.

I simply cannot understand why anyone cannot see this.

I have only recently learned that it is deemed acceptable to hit anything other than par, particularly if you do this on the negative side of par. I had been under the impression that par was there for a reason, therefore that is what one must do. Way to go rules of Golf, if you have rules you should jolly well stick to them.

From now on, now that I realise that the rules mean nothing, I will be hitting off dings all over the shop, as my way of protesting against a game that does not faithfully enforce laid down rules.

You can draw your own conclusions from this, as you watch my average fade to almost nothing, now that I know I am allowed.

Lizzie xx

• gatordee
    281 Posts
    Thu, Feb 23 2012 4:01 AM

I know on the BB course, the 2nd hole, I will hit my drive just before the 1st line before the ding and get my ball to slice perfectly around the dog leg.  Its when you miss the ding on the wrong side that kills you. With some practice it will do wonders on getting your ball to stop in certain areas. But just like everything else with this game, people play different ways and swear by their technique. I have talked to many players who NEVER move the marker and hit before or after the line to get their ball where they want it. I myself could NEVER do that. But I do know you can shape your ball. Try this on #2 BB course. Move your arrow a hair to the right, then hit the line before the dinger and tell me if your ball does not go around that dog leg. (left)

• Steve442
    710 Posts
    Thu, Feb 23 2012 4:30 AM

gatordee:

I know on the BB course, the 2nd hole, I will hit my drive just before the 1st line before the ding and get my ball to slice perfectly around the dog leg.  Its when you miss the ding on the wrong side that kills you. With some practice it will do wonders on getting your ball to stop in certain areas. But just like everything else with this game, people play different ways and swear by their technique. I have talked to many players who NEVER move the marker and hit before or after the line to get their ball where they want it. I myself could NEVER do that. But I do know you can shape your ball. Try this on #2 BB course. Move your arrow a hair to the right, then hit the line before the dinger and tell me if your ball does not go around that dog leg. (left)

Of course you are right it will go left but that's not the issue. A draw is where the ball gently CURVES from right to left (for a right handed golfer) and a fade is the opposite.

All you are doing is delibrately miss-hitting to the left or right.

People who can play a draw (for some it's a natural shot) IRL have the added advantage of the spin converting to top spin on landing thus achieving a longer shot that those who fade shots.

• MioKontic
    4,644 Posts
    Thu, Feb 23 2012 4:39 AM

Steve442:
    People who can play a draw (for some it's a natural shot) IRL have the added advantage of the spin converting to top spin on landing thus achieving a longer shot that those who fade shots.

You can get loads of topspin if you duck-hook it.  Only problem is the ball only goes about 6ft off the ground and so doesn't carry very far.

I just want to clear one thing up which is REALLY bugging me.  A FADE shot for a right-handed golfer goes from LEFT TO RIGHT; it does NOT fade left!  A DRAW shot for a right-handed golfer goes from RIGHT TO LEFT.  A SLICE is an exaggerated FADE and a HOOK is an exaggerated DRAW; they are also usually uncontrolled and therefore unintentional, but not always.  So, on BPB #2 a right-handed player cannot slice a ball around the trees!

• KJHAWK2
    567 Posts
    Thu, Feb 23 2012 4:41 AM

Gator, Truffle, a slice to the left? What does that look like? LMAO!

HAWK 

• RUNWME
    1,011 Posts
    Thu, Feb 23 2012 6:38 AM

MBaggese:

There is only a few holes (wind dependent) that I shape a shot, but it dies work.

Not sure I'd think of playing a full round hat way though!

I agree. There are a few holes like ccc4 and bethpage 2 from legend tees shown here http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/84875.aspx  that in stronger left to right winds, if you don't  play the draw shot, it make the hole much tougher.  

Even with a 15mph left to right wind ( worst wind for ccc4 and bp2)   you can aim right and click early enough in the dark blue to have your ball draw into the wind and take the trees out of play,

Call it a hook, draw, pull or whatever you like, it is a viable working shot that can be very effective.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Thu, Feb 23 2012 8:05 AM

RUNWME:
    I agree. There are a few holes like ccc4 and bethpage 2 from legend tees shown here http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/84875.aspx 

Great illustration Don.  I find some topspin adds more yardage as well.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Thu, Feb 23 2012 8:08 AM

MioKontic:
    A SLICE is an exaggerated FADE and a HOOK is an exaggerated DRAW; they are also usually uncontrolled and therefore unintentional, but not always.

Mio, when I play IRL, it's a fade or draw as long as I am in the fairway;)

• MioKontic
    4,644 Posts
    Thu, Feb 23 2012 8:51 AM

MBaggese:
    Mio, when I play IRL, it's a fade or draw as long as I am in the fairway;)

Oh yeah, I forgot about the 'power fade' and 'power draw' - my apologies.

RSS