Forums

Help › Forums

Invasion of the "Multi 'counters"

Wed, Feb 29 2012 12:23 PM (68 replies)
  • DannyPhan
    1,013 Posts
    Fri, Feb 24 2012 11:33 AM

drmoose:
    Ummmm... gentlemen, how do you expect me to go about effecting social change around here when you keep changing the subject ?

Since we've gone off topic already ANYWAY. 

Doc the correct usage is AFFECTING, “Affect” as a verb.  (The norm) To have an influence on; to impress or to move; to produce a change in something or someone. Example: 

His study was intended to show how alcohol affects reaction time.

Hope you take this is the humorous spirit in which it was intended, I am by no means trying to be a GRAMMAR N@Z!....

Danny

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Feb 24 2012 11:42 AM

He turned effect into an action word, or verb. He doesn't want to affect the change, he wants to get it in place. He wants to cause it to happen, which is what effecting something does.  :-)

• drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Fri, Feb 24 2012 11:47 AM

DannyPhan,

In this particular case I chose to use the word " EFFECTING" as it is also a verb meaning to "cause something to happen" which I believe to be more effective than merely influencing something. Lol, feel free to question my use of English anytime you like, however, I must warn you, you do so at your own peril.

Doc

Thank you Jim ,I see we crossed in posting.

Doc

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Fri, Feb 24 2012 11:49 AM

YankeeJim:
     how do you get from 10% skill, 90% luck to 100% skill, 0% luck?

No, no Jim. Don't turn it around. I was asking you a question. Read my post again.

Richard4168:

YankeeJim:
    That would be where the skill comes in-dealing with it.

So it's 100% skill and 0% luck?

• pdxdriver
    2,628 Posts
    Fri, Feb 24 2012 12:28 PM

cor blimey guv,are you all english literature teachers or some thing?

respect

pdx

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Fri, Feb 24 2012 12:34 PM

Holy doughnuts, I haven't had lessons like this since 1969. No wonder I can't golf, or am I discussing the wrong subject? Do the professors prefer an apple or one of Frappes candles?

• pdxdriver
    2,628 Posts
    Fri, Feb 24 2012 12:47 PM

One of Frappes candles?i thought he got 4 candles

• drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Fri, Feb 24 2012 1:12 PM

pdxdriver:

One of Frappes candles?i thought he got 4 candles

He did, but he burnt one up the other day on Kiawah, really messed my game up too.

Doc

Oh, and andyson, I really don't appreciate your publishing my putting formula for just anyone to use, I thought we had a deal.

Doc

pdx & renni, Never underestimate the power of words, who among us has not talked that stubborn , dimpled, little monstrosity into the hole? In between trying to effect social change with regard to the Pod golfers, I'm currently working on my incantations to alleviate green differential from what appears to be to what actually is.

Doc

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Feb 24 2012 1:35 PM

Richard4168:
    No, no Jim. Don't turn it around. I was asking you a question.

Tit for tat. Your "question", which really was not in proper speech context as we all know you don't answer a question with a question, assumed something totally in error. I never suggested anything to do with %s like you implied. My question in response to yours was because i didn't understand the about face you made so I couldn't give you a straight answer.

Rather than reread my post, how about dedicating a little comprehension to it and the rhetoric it involves?

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Fri, Feb 24 2012 2:29 PM

YankeeJim:

Richard4168:
    No, no Jim. Don't turn it around. I was asking you a question.

Tit for tat. Your "question", which really was not in proper speech context as we all know you don't answer a question with a question, assumed something totally in error. I never suggested anything to do with %s like you implied. My question in response to yours was because i didn't understand the about face you made so I couldn't give you a straight answer.

Rather than reread my post, how about dedicating a little comprehension to it and the rhetoric it involves?

???

I'll take that as, you don't know.

RSS